4 RMA'd Wireless Adapters later, Still Can't Get Wireless Drivers to Work....

Get_out_and_Push

Weaksauce
Long time PC builder. I can usually figure stuff out by myself and if I can't I've always come to [H] for help. I decided to upgrade my old wireless B adapter in a PC to a wireless N. I've installed using the manufacturers drivers or let windows automatically install the drivers. Windows reports the drivers as functioning and once I enable the adapter and disable the other wireless adapter it just won't connect. This is driving me nuts and I've RMAd four of them through newegg and I am now on my fourth and cannot get it to work either. Is there something that I'm missing? I'm just trying to stream media above 11 Mb/s =/

I've seen some old B adapter drivers mess windows to a point where no other network drivers work on XP.Uninstall those drivers in add/remove if you can. Other tricks to try is the MS tcp/ip stack repair tool, and a windows repair-install...

You could try a winsock reset after you install the driver:
-Open command prompt
-type: netsh winsock reset
-Reboot

It should reset your network stack. It may or may not help, but certainly worth a try.

Thanks I'll try those. I should say that this is a win7 32 bit. I've tried the adapters on two other win7 64 bit installs that also have wireless adapters already installed and can't get it to work on any of the three PCs. Are wireless adapters usually this difficult? The first wireless B i simply plugged into a USB port and windows installed drivers and it's worked no problems since then.

Windows reports the drivers as functioning and once I enable the adapter and disable the other wireless adapter it just won't connect.

Oh this might not be clear either. It's not that the new connected won't connect it is that the adapter will not show up under the windows wireless connection tab. Is there a way to change an adapter so maybe it is managed by windows?

I've seen this issue on Broadcom, Ralink, Realtek based adapters (random models and brands) trying to connect to a Linksys router (don't remember the model but it's Broadcom based at least, I think its a WRT610N). The only workaround I've found is to use another AP, trying other drivers etc doesn't seem to resolve the issue. Atheros based routers (APs, (Radios)) and Atheros and/or Intel WLAN cards have always worked great in my experience so I'm sticking with that combo.

//Danne

I've seen this issue on Broadcom, Ralink, Realtek based adapters (random models and brands) trying to connect to a Linksys router (don't remember the model but it's Broadcom based at least, I think its a WRT610N). The only workaround I've found is to use another AP, trying other drivers etc doesn't seem to resolve the issue. Atheros based routers (APs, (Radios)) and Atheros and/or Intel WLAN cards have always worked great in my experience so I'm sticking with that combo.

//Danne

Thanks for the response. The problem is not that it won't connect the problem is that the adapter is unable to be managed by windows I think. It installs fine and windows reports the adapter as working properly, the ability to connect with it just isn't even there. It isn't even scanning for wireless. All four of the adapters have done this.
b5ae15ac.png

Ok so I figured it out and want to just give my answer in case anyone ever has the same problem and searches the forums. I went through device manager. Uninstalled the old wireless card and it's drivers. Installed the new one with the drivers. It would not work right away. I followed protoforms instructions to reset the stack and rebooted. After I did that it worked fine.
You could try a winsock reset after you install the driver:
-Open command prompt
-type: netsh winsock reset
-Reboot

It should reset your network stack. It may or may not help, but certainly worth a try.
As always thanks for the help, [H] is the shit

Back