4-pin external power connector

saiyan

n00b
2FA
Joined
May 24, 2005
Messages
63
Okay. I just got a Asus EAX800/2DTV video card which uses the ATI Radeon X800 chip and I could not get any video singal out of it. After a little research, I think the card requires external power via its "JU2" connector to work properly.

Now here is the problem. "JU2" is a 4-pin connector but it's not the same 4-pin power connector used by the floppy drive nor is it the regular 4-pin molex power connector used for hard drives.

Does anyone know what type of power connector or adapter the card needs?
Thanks.
 
It is a PCI Express power connector if it is not a molex (hard drive) connector. Looks like this:
[ ][ ]
[ ][ ]
There are adapters available to turn a molex into what you need.
Or you can buy a newer power supply that has the correct connector.

Edit:

Whoa I was waaayyy off.
I am going to sit in the corner now.
 
I have already purchased a new PSU that came with two 6-pins power connectors for PCI Express video cards. But the X800 card I bought uses a 4 pin connector that is slightly smaller than the power connector for floppy disk drives. The 4-pin connector looks like a auxilary audio connector (with a retangular shaped socket) used on sound cards but it's slightly smaller.
 
That card doesn't have a socket for external power, it doesn't need it. The problem is something else.

What happens when you push the power button? Make sure that everything is seated properly, make sure nothing is shorting out the motherboard (like the case), try reseating the ram, video card and CPU, make sure you have the proper power supply (20 vs 24 pins) etc etc etc.
 
TheTMan said:
That card doesn't have a socket for external power, it doesn't need it. The problem is something else.

What happens when you push the power button? Make sure that everything is seated properly, make sure nothing is shorting out the motherboard (like the case), try reseating the ram, video card and CPU, make sure you have the proper power supply (20 vs 24 pins) etc etc etc.

Okay. I have re-installed motherboard, video card, and the power connectors again and this time everything seems to be working.

I'm not sure if something was shorted out or not because when I originally pressed the power button, all fans are turned on and I can hear harddrive spin-up. If something was shorted out, I imagine there would be no sign of power at all.

Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestion.

As for the JU2 connector, anyone know what this is for?
 
Back
Top