4 inch Android phones

Wheresatom

[H]ard|Gawd
In the next few months I am planning to upgrade from the original Droid to whatever I like that runs Android at that time. So, in the mean time I am paying a little closer attention to phones being released. Is it just me or are all of the new Android phones getting bigger? I carry my phone in my front pocket and at times I find I wish the Droid itself was a little smaller. I know that phones getting bigger wont help that but will I notice it that much if I get a 4 inch phone? Are there any smaller phones coming out any time soon? I'd really like something without a physical keyboard but otherwise about the same size as the original Droid.

I'd also prefer to stay with Verizon I think, but that could be up for debate too. Has anyone who thought you would hate a 4 inch phone gotten on and not minded it after all?

Droid Incredible 2 is a 4 inch. Droid Charge is either a 4 or a 4.3 (although the Charge looks to be like a piece of shit). Droid X will be a 4.3 and Droid 3 is rumored to most likely be a 4.

TBolt is a 4.3 inch. I went from a Droid to a TBolt and the size hasn't bothered me one bit. In fact I actually find using my wife's Droid Incredible (3.5 inch) to be a little lacking due to the smaller real estate.

I have a nexus s which is 4", I love the extra screen real estate it makes a huge difference for me compared to a original droid or iPhone

So basically my only option is to get cozy with the idea of a 4 inch phone and enjoy my new real estate? I was starting to think that myself, but I guess I was hoping there was some secret phone out there coming soon I didn't know about.

Thanks for the replies.

Personally, I don't like 4" screens.

Too big for a phone, but hey, to each their own!

My Fascinate has a 4in screen and I think its great. Makes reading text and watching videos easier. I would never go under 4 but might think of getting a 4.3 in phone when I upgrade.

These phones might be better than the Droid for you because a lot of them are significantly thinner than the Droid. Therefore they are marginally bigger X and Y but thinner so they fit in a pocket better.

For example:

Galaxy S2: 125.3x66.1x 8.5mm
Droid : 115.8x60x13.7mm

So it is getting 9% longer (10mm), 10% wider (6mm), and 50% thinner (7mm).

These phones might be better than the Droid for you because a lot of them are significantly thinner than the Droid. Therefore they are marginally bigger X and Y but thinner so they fit in a pocket better.

For example:

Galaxy S2: 125.3x66.1x 8.5mm
Droid : 115.8x60x13.7mm

So it is getting 9% longer (10mm), 10% wider (6mm), and 50% thinner (7mm).
^This

it's not 50% thinner, it's 38% thinner. 8.5mm v 13.7mm

anyway....BIGGER IS BETTER. i went from droid eris to TB and WOW i love the bigger screen. not only do these phones have larger screens but also larger resolutions.

i saw a dell streak the other day and i almost want one...might be a little too big but i think i could get used to it. too bad it's on a shitty carrier

I have an EVO 4G and that sucker is huge especially in the case I got for it.

I am actually thinking of selling it and getting the new tiny HP Veer. I had the original Pre and I thought webOS was pretty boss especially when I overclocked the phone to 1ghz.

anyway....BIGGER IS BETTER. i went from droid eris to TB and WOW i love the bigger screen. not only do these phones have larger screens but also larger resolutions.

i saw a dell streak the other day and i almost want one...might be a little too big but i think i could get used to it. too bad it's on a shitty carrier
Regardless of how much thinner it is the fact is that the thinner profile makes the phone feel much smaller and makes it much more manageable. My Vibrant isn't a small phone but compared to phones of similar size it feels like an ant because it's so thin and light. I think Samsung is going to win a lot of fans with the new Galaxy because of its profile. Hopefully the U.S. carriers don't go and screw it up like they did with the original Galaxy redesigns.

I have an EVO 4G and that sucker is huge especially in the case I got for it.
Why not take the case off then? I don't get why people buy phones then put them in these gigantic cases and then complain about how big they are.

Why not take the case off then? I don't get why people buy phones then put them in these gigantic cases and then complain about how big they are.

because its a super expensive phone to replace. i was too lazy to buy insurance and no way in hell I am paying sprint $8 a month for it.

It provides piece of mind as well... its a quality case and it looks nice...it's just a tad too thick. but even without it the EVO still has a 4.3inch screen.

The HP Veer looks so small and cute :D

HP-Veer.jpg

edit: looks like the veer is ATT only :(

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

My maths = fail :( Dunno what I was thinking.

The Droid feels larger in my pocket than my Evo, mainly because of its angles and thickness.

A slim 4.3" phone isn't as unwieldy as I thought it would be.

because its a super expensive phone to replace. i was too lazy to buy insurance and no way in hell I am paying sprint $8 a month for it.

It provides piece of mind as well... its a quality case and it looks nice...it's just a tad too thick. but even without it the EVO still has a 4.3inch screen.
I'm not sold on cases providing that much protection. How much is a tiny layer of rubber really going to help if you drop your phone? I'd rather have a phone I can live with every day and large cases and phones make that hard to do so I don't blame you for going smaller. I think the Vibrant is the perfect size but I'm hoping the 4.3" screen on the new Galaxy is just as comfortable to use and carry.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
OP, I personally feel that a 4" screen is the sweet spot, and I just recently upgraded from a 3.2" screen. My buddies EVO has the 4.3" screen and it felt too wide in my hand and a bit over sized.. obviously each user will have different results, experiences and opinions. My current phone is the nexus|s which I am really enjoying, my buddy also just got rid of the EVO and went with the nexus as he wanted to get rid of HTC sense and run vanilla android, plus the Super AMOLED display didn't hurt ;) . The nexus|s is not available on Verizon, but get as much info from everyone here as possible then go into some stores for some in hand experience and see what you like. As of late many phones have been released and more are coming. I havent followed Verizon's line up much but a new phone to keep an eye out for might be the Galaxy S II. There is seriously so many phones now it will be a bit difficult to decide.

I've got an Evo.

It took a little bit of time to get used to the large size but now I am convinced. It's fairly thin so it actually feels smaller in pocket than it truly is.

My girlfriend has an Epic which has a 4" screen; that phone seems much larger in hand and pocket than my 4.3" Evo.

As others have hinted at, screen size isn't the only thing that makes a phone "too big."

I have one of the platinum series cases for the tbolt, I leave the holster on my hip for pretty much 12-14 hours a day M-F and it doesnt bother me. The case on the phone doesnt add much bulk at all. I find its easier to handle with the case on because it's slightly thicker. My first smartphone and I love the size and the screen, haven't found myself wishing for a smaller phone at all.

Back