4 drive raid 10 fizzle

I was plugging in my new SSD when I accidentally unplugged one of the raid array HDD members.Then I turned the computer on.The HDD is now listed as a non member in the bios. (3 members, 1 not).
Is there a way for me to get the 1 included back into the original raid? BIOS wont let me, unless I delete all data from the disks.
Its Intel storage data BIOS for chipset 3xxx,4xxx,5xxx.
The SSD was immediately unplugged when I turned on the computer and I saw the bios raid had changed. 1st, I want to get back original RAID 10. Any advice? Thanks.
-lovesupreme
I can not lose the data on the HDDs. I wanted to set the SSD as the operating system volume and keep the raid as the data house, but my less than nimble fingers botched up everything big time.

I can not lose the data on the HDDs.
unfortunately, as you will learn eventually, this is not true. you do not want to lose the data. there is a big difference.

I was plugging in my new SSD when I accidentally unplugged one of the raid array HDD members.
this shouldnt have mattered because you should have been doing this while the computer was OFF...... right?

are you using hardware or software raid? you said in BIOS, so im guessing its an on-board RAID controller? what motherboard/controller?

with a RAID10, even if one disk is errored/unplugged/died/exploded, you should still have a working array, just in a degraded state. different RAID controllers act differently however. if you can take a screen picture of what the controller is telling you, that might be helpful.

what you need to do is read how to rebuild an array on your RAID controller after one of the drives failed. if data has been written to the array after the point where the drive was unplugged, what it will probably do when you plug the drive back in, is rebuild the array as if the unplugged drive is a new drive. so the array will be in a degraded state until this drive is rebuilt fully.

regular SATA connections are NOT hot-plugable, BTW.

IntelStor went thru 3-30 hour rebuilds; the last one finally finishing this morning... BUT WAIT- it now has an option to re-include the HDD!! go figure, the wonders of modern technology.

Thank you ghost for your time spent responding to this.

We live in the greatest time in the history of Humans.

Back