4 drive raid 0

Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
7
I know its risky, but what about doing a 4 drive raid 0 setup with the WD-AV drives? Wouldnt that get me the speed of say a x2 black editions in raid 0 with more reliability? Planning on using this as my boot partition in a new pc I am building. SSD outta the question due to price.
 
I know its risky, but what about doing a 4 drive raid 0 setup with the WD-AV drives? Wouldnt that get me the speed of say a x2 black editions in raid 0 with more reliability?
Wait, that doesn't make sense to me. 4 drives in RAID 0 would have a higher chance of failure than just two drives.

Also which WD AV drives are you talking about? A Newegg search revealed 17 different WD AV drives.
 
If you mean 4 drives to do raid + mirroring, then yeah, it'd be more reliable.

The unreliability of RAID-0 is routinely blown WAY out of proportion IMO. I've been raiding for years and never lost data. Not once. I've had drives start to die in an array, develop bad sectors and it's not hard to backup data and replace the drive.

I've recently just moved to a RAID-0 array with 2 Samsung Spintpoint F3 500gb drives and the performance is amazing. Faster than the cheapest SSDs, has way more capacity and comes at a fraction of the price.
 
Back
Top