4 DIMMS vs. 2

Silmatharien

Limp Gawd
hey, I currently have a gig of RAM (2 x 512MB Corsair PC3200 2-3-3-6). I am planning on upgrading my computer later this month and want to add another gig of RAM. I plan on doing some overclocking but would rather not drop another $300 on RAM if I don't have to.

So my question is this:
If I got another couple DIMMs of this Cosair RAM (so I had 4 total) would I notice a big performance hit in dual channel vs. buying two brand new 1024MB sticks and just using the two DIMMs?

Thanks.

mjz_5 said:
what CPU and chipset?

I haven't decided what I'm upgrading too yet but it's going to be dual core Athlon 64s and I haven't decided what mobo yet. I was just wondering generally about the performance difference between four DIMMs and two.

If you use the same memory with the same specs it should run the same as 2 sticks and there shouldn't be any performace hit at all.

jackofalltrades said:
If you use the same memory with the same specs it should run the same as 2 sticks and there shouldn't be any performace hit at all.

Actually, there will be a slight hit in the memory performance with four sticks. That's because modern dual-channel memory controllers run best with four ranks of memory - and most 512MB sticks are double-ranked, which would result in eight ranks of memory installed. That increases the loading on the memory controller, forcing 2T command rate operation for optimal stability, and also might cause the memory controller to default to a slower maximum clockspeed (DDR333 instead of DDR400) or you to loosen the timings just to get your system to work reliably.

The performance hit is not a big deal - but just a little nit-picking.

blue_dragon said:
most defitely get 1024 X 2 becuase T2 isnt as great as T1 command rate
2T vs 1T is only about a 3-5% real world performance difference - http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=917314
If you're not trying to spend too much, just get another 2x512 kit - the benefits of 2gb over 1gb far outweigh running 2T - or even ddr333 for that matter. Or you could just get a GSKILL 2x1GB kit of DDR500 for just under 200 bucks - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231021

You know, I am in the same boat. I got 1gig dual patriot and dont wanna spend 200 (130 after mail in at newegg right now tho). BUT, look at were we are for being cheap bastards in the first place. If we woulda broke down and got 2 gigs this wouldnt have happened. Therefore just because I bet I will end up doing it anyways (4gigs needed eventually? dont know...) might as well do it now. And 2t/lower timings suck, I didnt get my sistem all overclocked and runnign nice to slack now =)

Back