4.7 Cats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stereophile said:
thief 3 shadows still broken ?

I actually installed this game a few days ago and just updated to 4.7 today. I am still at 5 FPS with rig below. This is at 1024 x 768 2xaa 4xaf with details on high. WTF?

Wohoo Temporal AA checkbox! Unfortunately I think its set for a default of 60fps :( Ahh well, maybe next time it will be user adjustable. I do notice when hopping into the registry editor, there are now settings of TemporalAAMultiplier=2 and TemporalAAMultiplierDEF=0

http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?pageid=4533 For reference, TemporalAAFrameThreshold=84 is what I set mine at.

Has the smartshader effects tab always been there?

I also notice that the YPbPr Hdtv-out settings on a AIW 9700pro are fully adjustable now, very good news for HDTV users :)

ZenOps said:
Wohoo Temporal AA checkbox! Unfortunately I think its set for a default of 60fps :( Ahh well, maybe next time it will be user adjustable. I do notice when hopping into the registry editor, there are now settings of TemporalAAMultiplier=2 and TemporalAAMultiplierDEF=0

http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?pageid=4533 For reference, TemporalAAFrameThreshold=84 is what I set mine at.

Has the smartshader effects tab always been there?

I also notice that the YPbPr Hdtv-out settings on a AIW 9700pro are fully adjustable now, very good news for HDTV users :)
I think you have the wrong idea, if you changed it to 84 fps then you won't get Temporal AA unless you have 84fps or greater. I think you want lower than 60, or maybe I'm just mistaken.

Ya, I do want Temporal AA only to kick in at 84fps or more. I do notice a slight *shimmering* effect when using colourless FSAA viewer on the bottom and left parts of the offset box he has when set at 60fps.

BTW: I think I know why there are two settings for TemporalAA now. It may be possible to set a double AA always, and triple AA when it goes above the threshold (would probably only be good for 90hz or higher monitors) It would be severe overkill though, having an 18xAA equivalent, but at least its an option.

Yep, the FPS it's set at determines when TAA is disabled (<60 FPS default).

ZenOps said:
BTW: I think I know why there are two settings for TemporalAA now. It may be possible to set a double AA always, and triple AA when it goes above the threshold (would probably only be good for 90hz or higher monitors) It would be severe overkill though, having an 18xAA equivalent, but at least its an option.

x3 TAA basically needs 90 FPS & Hz as a minimum (equivalent to x2 TAA at 60)...yep. :D

OrionNT said:
I actually installed this game a few days ago and just updated to 4.7 today. I am still at 5 FPS with rig below. This is at 1024 x 768 2xaa 4xaf with details on high. WTF?

turn off AA

w00t! I just broke 11k with 3DMark03 which was my goal for the card I'm happy :) 4.7's rule.

Question though....My CPU score went down 100 points. Anyone know why that would happen. I gained 500 overall but lost some in the CPU score.

w00t! I just broke 11k with 3DMark03 which was my goal for the card I'm happy 4.7's rule.

With an ATI 9600, ummmmmmmmmm O.K. some linkage please. I can see it with your second rig but is says- Building.......

Bigjohns97 said:
turn off AA

Yeah if you want it you have to use the ingame setting "multisampling"

I get between 30-60 fps at 1024 max everything. bloom off

Kingofl337 said:
w00t! I just broke 11k with 3DMark03 which was my goal for the card I'm happy :) 4.7's rule.

Question though....My CPU score went down 100 points. Anyone know why that would happen. I gained 500 overall but lost some in the CPU score.

i think you meant 1k...bahahaha

4.7's are very nice. I like the new settings in the control panel. Will be interesting to see what Omega does with this release. :p

This fixed the Bittorrent problem i was encountering with the 4.6 version where the computer would keep on stalling.

FWIW just read on another forum thief is not fixed

open GL scores way up

def better than 4.6

i thought TAA has something to do with vsync being enabled.....that would explain it being 60......tell me if im wrong.......but i DO no that it kicks in at 60 or ABOVE default it shuts off below 60....like i said bfore i think that has something to do with vsync

I have always found the official catalysts to be the better drivers :confused: Never have liked the omegas or dnas?
The OGL performance definatly feels like its improved with the 4.7,s ;)

Ramfart said:
With an ATI 9600, ummmmmmmmmm O.K. some linkage please. I can see it with your second rig but is says- Building.......
It says complete at the bottom

Yup, I see the Farcry AA problem too. It almost looks like a macroblock.

Unfortunately I figure ATi users will have to wait for the next gamepatch before its smoothed out. I know people were talking about it when the 4.7's were beta. ATi' response was that they were doing it the standard way, and would just wait for developers to conform to it. ATi seems to have been moving away from application detection, and running special modes (like AA) if the game did not support the standard (Farcry seems to support more proprietary Nvidia stuff right now, including AA)

So it will probably not be *fixed* in 4.8, ATi is forcing the game developers hand to conform this time around.

It saddens me that game developers have to fracture themselves to one side.

ZenOps,

Your comment, "It saddens me that game developers have to fracture themselves to one side."

Correct me if I am wrong but don't the ATI's and Nvidia's of the world pay to make a developer sway towards their respective hardware?

(Not trying to be a smart ass, real question.)

Yeah, a lot of game developers rely heavily on hardware makers for at the very least free technical support, lending out some inhouse developers, if not blatant monetary support. Its a very symbiotic relationship.

I hear Nvidia does tend to be more forward with information to developers about their new capabilities and how to implement them (which is a good thing) But there is also a fine line between giving information, and pushing it. ATi just sort of leaves the technology out there for a while, and waits for a developer to find it and bite on it. ATi prefers to fish their developers, Nvidia prefers to feed theirs.

Somewhere in the middle ground is a good place to be.

FingerSlut said:
EWWW Farcry has an AA glitch from hell now!

What problem is this? I run AA in Far Cry with the 4.7 drivers and it looks fine. I have a X800XT PE though - is this a problem with the R3XX line maybe?

I have noticed a glitch in 2D that I would like addressed sometime (if there are any ATi people who read this board) Its never been fixed, because I doubt many people even know about the capability:

I surf at 1792x1344, with 200 percent sized fonts which makes everything double size (even pictures) in Internet explorer 6.0+ as outlined here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/highdpi.asp

Occasionally when scrolling down in some webpages using the scrollwheel on the mouse, it will leave lines of "poop" on the screen. Dunno if this is a mouse, IE, or video issue.

Here is a quote I got from the Elite Bastards Article.

The one big potential caveat here is that if frame rates drop too low, then the effect becomes visible to the human eye and flickering will occur. Therefore, this new technique is obviously not going to be suitable for all titles, the user will need to pick and choose carefully those which will give sufficient performance for the method to function as it should. A side-effect of this is that V-sync has to be enabled when temporal AA is used (this is forced on in ATi's drivers when it is in use), and also requires a high refresh rate on your monitor to really do it justice (in the order of 100Hz seems to do the job nicely).

This answers the questions about v-sync. I do have one concern, it says that you need a high refresh like 100Hz. Does that mean that LCD owners such as myself will not be able to take full advantage of Temporal AA due to the fixed v-sync nature of the LCD panals?

Can someone who knows what Temporal AA is explain it? I feel a little out of the loop because I haven't read anything about this yet --- maybe some linkage would help too.

If it's true that you need a high refresh rate to take advantage of it, it'll give me one more reason to love my Sony @ 100+ Hertz

Temporal AA is a system of using 2 (or 3) different AA sample patterns to give the illusion of a higher level of AA. The minimum refresh required for Temporal AA to work properly is 60hz. At lower framerates, the AA system creates a flickering along the edges of an image. It essentially gives 2xAA the appearance of 4xAA. You can really get most of the info out of that Elite Bastards article above. In order to accurately catch the effect of the AA, you have to get two consecutive frames captured and combine the images.

Hawg-dawg said:
You think Omegas are better?
I have never seen a diff...............

Definitely for me, as they enable the four extra pipes in my 9500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back