• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4.5 GHz 3930K Overclocking Input/Help/Feedback

SoldierJAW

n00b
Joined
Mar 13, 2012
Messages
4
Hello,

I was hoping that I could get some feedback on my current setup for overclocking my 3930K to 4.5 GHz for daily use (VMware, Gamining, and regular web browsing).

This is my first attempt at overclocking.

Setup:
Case: Corsair 650D (stock front fan, stock rear fan, both set to high on the case controller)

Cooler: Corsair H100 (stock fans, pulling in cold air, set to medium speed)

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Formula (BIOS Version 1005)

RAM: G.SKILL F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH Ripjawz PC3-17000 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-2133 CL9-11-10-28 1.65V (2133 MHz enabled with X.M.P Enabled as per https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=17VKzOB5CL5EtIelw5tGsj2CqjBk3O0OU5VPe6CUoFso&pli=1)

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K C2 (Overclocked to 4.5GHz) - Using the stock Thermal Interface Material (TIM) from the H100 (all screws are as tight as I can make them)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Temperatures and VCore
Temperatures (in degrees Celsius) are reported using Real Temp GT 3.70 (Core Temp and CPUID read the same)

Idle:
Idle Temperatures: 40-33-26-35-33-32
Asus Probe II – 31
Motherboard – 33

Idle VCore (in CPU-Z): 0.816V

Load:
Load Temperatures: 78-71-65-70-73-74
Asus Probe II – 70
Motherboard – 33

Load VCore (in CPU-Z): 1.336V, 1.344V, and 1.352V

BIOS Settings:
b04d0c69_120310164242.BMP


7f79b3c0_120310164257.BMP


dadc6e90_120310164313.BMP


793b67bb_120310164327.BMP


a5141e1a_120310164346.BMP


7d850fdc_120310164354.BMP


d5ecfdc6_120310164411.BMP


5d19b3d4_120310164431.BMP


9e054e66_120310164446.BMP


0fd26618_120310164452.BMP


9d2568a1_120310164506.BMP


ddf8efa6_120310164516.BMP


02722eae_120310164621.BMP


b45e1973_120310164627.BMP


7422518d_120310164642.BMP


Also, I like the power saving features of SpeedStep, and thus why I have it on.

I would like to keep it this computer for about 5 years.

I had heard that changing the CPU Strap could lead to lower voltages, but when I changed the CPU Strap to 125, and the BCLK Frequency to 125, it changed my RAM speed to above 2133 (something like 2333) and I had no option to select 2133 any more (until I lowered the BCLK Frequency), and the computer would not boot.

I would like any input and feedback that I can get. If you think I should change some settings, or if I should overclock it more, or anything else, please let me know!

I had to set the CPU Load-line Calibration to high from medium (is that safe for 24/7 use?), or else it would fail in LinX (it must need the higher voltage).

I would like to keep the temperatures down, but I am not sure how to get lower voltages that are stable.

Thanks!
 
85+ Views...

I know that there are some master overclockers out there who could give me some feedback :)
 
I sounds like a pretty good system. I don't know all the parts off the top of my head but compatibility wise you shouldn't have any issues. Just make sure your cooling fans and such keep clean with OC'ing like that. Good luck
 
What's wrong with your overclock?

Just for reference, here are my overclocks.

5 Ghz @ 1.525, 50-90 degrees - IBT Extreme Max stable (20 loops). Awesome OC, but definitely not for 24/7.
4.8 Ghz @ 1.480, 45-88 degrees - IBT Extreme Max stable (20 loops). Again, awesome OC, but definitely not for 24/7.
4.6 Ghz @ 1.380, 29-83 degrees - IBT Extreme Max stable (20 loops). Where I'm at right now running 24/7.

Oh and I can do 4.5 Ghz at stock voltages and at 2133 instead of 1866 for my Dominator GTs.

I'm only using an H100. I'll be changing to a full pledge wc (just cpu or cpu/gpu/gpu) soon. I think that if it'll just be the CPU, I can hover around the 80-85 degrees for my CPU and make 5 Ghz stable for 24/7 usage especially since summer is just around the corner.
 
Thanks for the replies.

How about Load-line Calibration set to high, is that safe?

How come when I changed the CPU Strap, that I could no longer run my RAM at 2133?
 
For a modest overclock like this you should not need to change the LLC to high. Asus recommends medium all the way up to around 5ghz if I recall correctly. Other than LLC on medium I have everything in the VRM DIGI+ section set to 'auto' and have not had an overclocking related BSOD at 4.6ghz since I built my system. You might give that a shot too.

Although I guess to answer your question in more detail, there is nothing _wrong_ with setting the LLC to high, but it'll create more heat in the VRMs than if you just set the offset a little higher.

I couldn't answer the CPU strap question, but I'd stay with the stock setting of 100 mhz if stability is what you seek.
 
For a modest overclock like this you should not need to change the LLC to high. Asus recommends medium all the way up to around 5ghz if I recall correctly. Other than LLC on medium I have everything in the VRM DIGI+ section set to 'auto' and have not had an overclocking related BSOD at 4.6ghz since I built my system. You might give that a shot too.

Although I guess to answer your question in more detail, there is nothing _wrong_ with setting the LLC to high, but it'll create more heat in the VRMs than if you just set the offset a little higher.

I couldn't answer the CPU strap question, but I'd stay with the stock setting of 100 mhz if stability is what you seek.

What offset do you use?
 
What offset do you use?



+0.010, nets me about 1.352v at full load. I haven't been able to make it crash with IBT or OCCT, although I normally only let it run for long enough for temps to stabilize.
 
Back
Top