4:3 monitors to complement widescreen monitors

Kreed

n00b
I have noticed that a lot of people are using 27" 2560x1440 monitors in a multi-monitor setup. I would love to have a triple monitor setup, but I don't really need the two flank monitors to be widescreen. To save some deskspace and minimise neck movement, I think a setup consisting of:

Left Monitor: 22" 1920x1440
Centre Monitor: 27" 2560x1440
Right Monitor: 22" 1920x440

would be ideal. Are there any manufacturers out there making 22" 1920x1440 monitors?

With so many people having multi-monitor setups, I am surprised monitor manufacturers are not making more 4:3 monitors to complement widescreen 16:9 and 16:10 monitors. If marketed properly, I am sure there would be a market for it.

There may be a lot of users doing multimonitor, but i guess not enough to market that. They would be aiming just for the people wanting a second monitor instead of everybody that wants a monitor to play games and view movies on.
Just take normal monitors and turn them 90 degrees.

On a related side note, I was wondering today with LG potentially releasing new 30" panels, will there be any new 20" ones to run PLP with? I was going to hold off on purchasing a u3011 to run PLP with, but then I got to thinking it might be kind of pointless to wait for a new screen if the portrait monitors will be older anyways

unfortunately the sizes of monitors that would make good sides for a good plp setup just aren't very common.

1920x1440 monitors aren't common.

To line up pixels with a 2560x1440 a more realistic approach would be find some old 1440x900 monitors to run portrait. Just keep in mind that to look good you need to match size dimensions and pixel pitch so you'd most likely have to scrounge up some small panels that would probably be refurb. (good luck finding that combination)

Back when dell sold a 1600x1200 panel with a similar pixel pitch to the 30 inch panels that combo worked great but it seems like those monitors have dried up.

1920x1440 monitors are all CRTs that I can find.

You may want to try and rig up some 1440x900 15" laptop screens.
I've seen some people do it and it looks really good.

27" monitors are now cheap enough that it makes more sense to buy 3 of them rather than try to source adequate wing monitors for PLP. Eyefinity and nVSurround don't support PLP so if you planning on using either then 3x27" makes much more sense. I personally have a LLL/PLP (3x20" 1680x1050, 20-30-20) setup and while it is very nice it was a real bitch to line up the resolutions on all six monitors and it doesn't support Eyefinity. My next upgrade will be a LLLL/LLL with 4x22" 1080p above and 3x27" 1440p below for perfect pixel and PPI alignment and to avoid any further grief with Eyefinity.

27" monitors are now cheap enough that it makes more sense to buy 3 of them rather than try to source adequate wing monitors for PLP. Eyefinity and nVSurround don't support PLP so if you planning on using either then 3x27" makes much more sense. I personally have a LLL/PLP (3x20" 1680x1050, 20-30-20) setup and while it is very nice it was a real bitch to line up the resolutions on all six monitors and it doesn't support Eyefinity. My next upgrade will be a LLLL/LLL with 4x22" 1080p above and 3x27" 1440p below for perfect pixel and PPI alignment and to avoid any further grief with Eyefinity.

Would you recommend plp for a non gamer? I want 3 monitors for productivity reasons, and I feel like 3x27 might require too much neck movement in landscape for doing actual work

Would you recommend plp for a non gamer? I want 3 monitors for productivity reasons, and I feel like 3x27 might require too much neck movement in landscape for doing actual work

For a non-gamer, especially one who deals with lots of documents, the 20-30-20 PLP has much to recommend to it. The 1200x1600 20" monitors can display a 8.5"x11" document on the screen at 100% sizing without scrolling, with room left over for toolbars. The 30" screen can show 2x 8.5"x11" pages side-by-side at 100% sizing without scrolling. The portrait monitors are also wide enough for most websites (you meet the odd one sized for 1280 across but that's rare) so doing Internet research is a lot easier.

19-27-19 PLP is not as appealing because the portrait monitors are only 900 pixels wide which makes them too narrow for a lot of uses. 19-27-19 is easier and cheaper to acquire though.

Another possibility to explore is 3x27" portrait. 1440 pixels wide is more than enough for documents and even the larger format websites. At the same time the monitor layout would be slightly *NARROWER* than the 19-27-19 PLP. The only thing you would be giving up is side-by-side pages on the primary monitor.

For a non-gamer, especially one who deals with lots of documents, the 20-30-20 PLP has much to recommend to it. The 1200x1600 20" monitors can display a 8.5"x11" document on the screen at 100% sizing without scrolling, with room left over for toolbars. The 30" screen can show 2x 8.5"x11" pages side-by-side at 100% sizing without scrolling. The portrait monitors are also wide enough for most websites (you meet the odd one sized for 1280 across but that's rare) so doing Internet research is a lot easier.

19-27-19 PLP is not as appealing because the portrait monitors are only 900 pixels wide which makes them too narrow for a lot of uses. 19-27-19 is easier and cheaper to acquire though.

Another possibility to explore is 3x27" portrait. 1440 pixels wide is more than enough for documents and even the larger format websites. At the same time the monitor layout would be slightly *NARROWER* than the 19-27-19 PLP. The only thing you would be giving up is side-by-side pages on the primary monitor.

Thanks, the 3x27 is tempting because of the price of the Korean monitiors, I can get 3 of them for almost the same price as 1 30"... but wouldn't the 27" be able to do side by side documents the same as the 30", since the horizontal pixels are the same?

Thanks, the 3x27 is tempting because of the price of the Korean monitiors, I can get 3 of them for almost the same price as 1 30"... but wouldn't the 27" be able to do side by side documents the same as the 30", since the horizontal pixels are the same?

Absolutely, but you seemed to be concerned with rubber-necking so I was suggesting a layout that would minimize that.

Back