• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

3x120 radiator on window unit?

bandit390

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
1,374
How practical is sticking a 3x120 radiator over my windows unit? What about condensation? etc?

Of course the tubes will be 8ft to 14ft going each way to the radiator. Also, how good of a pump would I need?

Or will not of that work and just stick 3x120 fans on it?
 
"Over the windows unit" ?? I assume you mean in the window of the case?? Thats fine. If you mean no fans I would not do that. Condensation will only be a problem if you cool the water below ambient temps. Notice how you get condensation on a cold glass of coke but not one at room temp. I like ehiem 1048 or 1046 based pumps.
 
I mean a 8,000btu window ac unit.

For condensation I could always insulate the lines/etc.

But just how practical is the idea? Has anyone done this and got better cooling temps, then just using 3x120 fans.

Also, how long can I go on the tubes before that start hurting my temps?
 
Well that depends on the pump. If you are going horizontal with the tubing you can go aways. If you are going vertical you have to pay attention to the height unless you pre-prime the tubes with coolant. Probably work well, but do you want a warmer room?
 
Top Nurse said:
Well that depends on the pump. If you are going horizontal with the tubing you can go aways. If you are going vertical you have to pay attention to the height unless you pre-prime the tubes with coolant. Probably work well, but do you want a warmer room?

I actually placed a Koolance unit on a shelf right above my window AC, then simply diverted “some” airflow up to the unit. CPU temp drop to just below 30c when I do that.

No bad effect on the room cooling either. Koolance allows for up to 30’ of distance between your computer and their unit. Chilled water beats ambient water anytime ;)
 
The massive amount of tubing that would require would be the turn off for me. Also it would get in the way of normal activities. I think normal old fans are your best bet.
 
Back
Top