3x1 Eyefinity on Linux

BodoBaas

n00b
I posted this over in the Linux OS forum and didn't get any bites, so I thought I would try my luck here.

I've been using Linux for my work computers for years and have mostly only used single nVidia cards for dual monitor setups. Every time I try to put in a second card to use all three of my monitors in on the action like my Windows box I run into problems. I've tried several times doing three monitors with two identical and different nVidia cards using twin view and a separate desktop as well a single desktop with Xinerama. Due to it either crashing, not working right or just being a hindrance I always get frustrated, give up and revert it back to just two monitors.

When trying Xinerama there are issues of stability and the box crashing or locking up. The TwinView with a separate X instance for the third monitor wasn't pretty and had usage issued I just couldn't tolerate. I want to use all three monitors seamlessly.

I'm currently using OpenSUSE 11.3 x64 and KDE (yes, KDE) and due to job requirements will be transitioning to Fedora Core 14 x64 soon.

So, I was wanting advice on the idea of ditching my nVidia cards for an ATI HD 5750 using Eyefinity to run three monitors as a single desktop. Do the AMD Linux drivers work for that? Does Eyefinity work well and in a stable fashion on Linux (specifically OpenSUSE or Core 14)? Is what I'm trying to only obtainable with Compiz or Xinerama? Anyone have Eyefinity 3x1 working on Linux in a nice and stable setup?

I don't need to do any gaming or 3D on this box. Its just shells, browsers, eclipse, kdevelop, etc. I don't use Wine anymore so that's not a requirement either.

It drives me nuts seeing videos of people with Linux machines running a single desktop on 3 to 6 monitors flawlessly and it ticks me off that I'm either too stupid, lazy or incompetent to figure it out. Any help, advice, warnings and examples would be greatly appreciated.

amd showcased x-flight running on 12 monitors, so i'm pretty sure its a user error

amd showcased x-flight running on 12 monitors, so i'm pretty sure its a user error

they cheated, they were playing 4 instances of the game, with camera set to only show a 4th of the screen and then they were synched together.

If the card lets you run 3 monitors on Windows, then 3 Monitors on Linux will work too. Only multi-GPU configurations should be avoided (as you noticed already).

Don't bother installing the proprietary AMD Linux drivers, Fedora 14 will support Compiz on your three monitors with the included open source drivers.

Thanks. I've never used an ATI card on Windows or anything else in over 15 years. I've pretty much just been an nVidia person. Before then it was either Number 9 or Matrox for OpenGL work.

Anyway, that was the reason I was asking before buying a card. I've never had experience with ATI/AMD cards of late and just wanted to verify that what I wanted would even work.

And thanks again for the tip. So, does anyone even try to use Eyefinity on Linux if the OS included drivers will do three monitors?

Back