3x VG248QE 144hz monitors on BF4?

XViper

Gawd
I'm curious. I haven't changed my panels in a long time and I'm thinking of buying these Asus panels. Out of curiousity, will this do 120hz in eyefinity with my triple R9 290x's in BF4?

If it doesn't, that's fine. I was just curious if it did. I wanted to upgrade to these panels for productivity anyway and they appear to be easier on my eyes.

Not at ultra settings.. You probably will be with at ultra + 2xAA at numbers near 100FPS in average.. Which its still great and way smoother than 60FPS... I game at 120FPS and even if im not pegged at such at high numbers the difference its good vs 60hz.. You probably might want to turn down some options to be at fully constant 120fps which its preferred for competitive gaming..

I think you could hit 120 FPS average at 5760x1080 without compromising image quality. Someone posted getting 80 FPS with tri-290s at an internal resolution of 3840x2400, which is around 33% more pixels than 5760x1080. You might have to turn down the AA.

Either way, I can't say enough about how much 120/144Hz has saved my eyes. It's a nice reprieve from having to use a 60Hz monitor at work.

You think a quad would be necessary to push it to full ultra on triple 120hz monitors?

I saw a SLI 780ti run BF4 on a single 144hz Asus monitor and it was just pure awesome.

You think a quad would be necessary to push it to full ultra on triple 120hz monitors?

I saw a SLI 780ti run BF4 on a single 144hz Asus monitor and it was just pure awesome.
I don't think it would be necessary to add a fourth card. That is already a lot of power and heat to deal with using three already, and I don't think you would see a lot of benefit if at all by adding another. Multi-GPU is a case of diminishing returns when the CPU becomes more of a bottleneck with more GPU power.

Even though every game I play can't maintain 144Hz, I still play games with that refresh rate. The responsiveness and clarity is still very apparent even at 80 FPS. As I said, I don't think you'll have any problem maintaining close to 120 FPS on Ultra settings with your setup. You might have to turn down AA, but that is about it. It will only get better in the future as AMD improves Mantle with driver updates.

What mode do you guys set yours at? My eyes just hurt looking at this monitor. I'm thinking of either going with this or go for a 1440 res Asus PB278Q.

I was using it yesterday and I think I need further calibration to ensure it's proper. I want to keep it but during productivity, my eyes just hurt too much. Not sure it's PWM that is the culprit.

I have crossfire 290's, overclocked, running bf4@ 120% resolution scaling with 16x AF high quality, plus 4xmsaa and all ultra settings, getting 120fps MINIMUM on one 1080p asus monitor (game looks and moves amazing). my average fps is about 150.

As to the above post...I found ICC profiles on this forum (not this section tho; there was a big thread on it). I came over from a dell 2408wfp, and after calibration, the asus looks damn good, though, of course, you can't be laying down on your couch while trying to play due to the nature of the TN panel. When I first got the asus out the box, it looked terrible. After I adjusted it, I didn't notice much difference between the asus and dell (I am not a photo editor, trust me, this monitor can look real good, especially for the price) Adjust the settings according to the thread, and load the color profile using an app called "displayprofile." it allows for easy switching between profiles, such as when you want to use lghtboost, 144hz, 120hz, etc. If you find the thread, I used the two top icc profiles - one for 144hz and the other for 120hz lightboost. good luck bro. And oh, no, the monitor does not bother my eyes, even after long stints of reading (research literature, for about 12 hours).

EDIT - here is the thread. use the profiles/settings from the first post.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1730425

Last edited:
Thanks! I hope I didn't make a mistake by buying this monitor because out of the box it looked stupid bright and hurt my eyes. I will try the profile.

I have crossfire 290's, overclocked, running bf4@ 120% resolution scaling with 16x AF high quality, plus 4xmsaa and all ultra settings, getting 120fps MINIMUM on one 1080p asus monitor (game looks and moves amazing). my average fps is about 150.

As to the above post...I found ICC profiles on this forum (not this section tho; there was a big thread on it). I came over from a dell 2408wfp, and after calibration, the asus looks damn good, though, of course, you can't be laying down on your couch while trying to play due to the nature of the TN panel. When I first got the asus out the box, it looked terrible. After I adjusted it, I didn't notice much difference between the asus and dell (I am not a photo editor, trust me, this monitor can look real good, especially for the price) Adjust the settings according to the thread, and load the color profile using an app called "displayprofile." it allows for easy switching between profiles, such as when you want to use lghtboost, 144hz, 120hz, etc. If you find the thread, I used the two top icc profiles - one for 144hz and the other for 120hz lightboost. good luck bro. And oh, no, the monitor does not bother my eyes, even after long stints of reading (research literature, for about 12 hours).

EDIT - here is the thread. use the profiles/settings from the first post.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1730425
Yes, this being a TN panel you're going to want to spend the time calibrating the monitor. When I first got my VG278HE the default settings on every profile that shipped with the monitor were making my eyes bleed. Once I got the gamma, contrast, brightness, and color right everything was great. It's hard for me now to go from 144 Hz at home to 60 Hz at the office. I can play a game or stare at a spreadsheet for hours at 144 Hz without ever feeling fatigued.

That's why I bought the monitor. I heard fatigue from looking at a monitor would be greatly reduced because of the higher refresh rate.

I'm curious. I haven't changed my panels in a long time and I'm thinking of buying these Asus panels. Out of curiousity, will this do 120hz in eyefinity with my triple R9 290x's in BF4?

If it doesn't, that's fine. I was just curious if it did. I wanted to upgrade to these panels for productivity anyway and they appear to be easier on my eyes.

OP, I have a question..Do you think that awfully low CPU clock will bottleneck 3 fairly monster GPUs? I know that you asked in this thread just about BF4, which clearly has MANTLE to remove/reduce bottlenecks, but what about your other games? Say something like Crysis 3 or Metro LL? I am not trying to be rude, that is a kickass system you have, I am just curious if you aren't doing yourself a huge disservice by not trying to get that cpu up to 4.4~4.5Ghz..

Back