3x crossfire, WTF!!!!!

glazenuts

n00b
Hey Ppl,

I've been building my own systems for quite a while and I have some questions about 3x crossfire. I just built a new game rig.
Antec 300 atx mid tower
Corsair HX1000
i7 920 cpu
MSI x58 pro-e/gigabyte ga ex58-ud5(same issue with both MB)
Cosair 6gb xms 3x2gb ddr3 1600 kit
500bg seagate sata 300 hd
MSI r4870 MD1 x3 gpu
liteon 22x dvdrw

My confusion is conserning ATI ccc. both systems show 3 cards in windows device mgr. CCC shows 3 gpu but reports the 3rd gpu as disabled.
After much head scratching and seraches on the internet I still don't understand why this is. Is it that the 3rd card dosen't come online until a 3d app is lanched or do I have a problem somewhere else?
I've tried moving the cards around to determine if one of the cards is bad but get the same results no matter what I do. WTF???

Thanks in advance,
bowdown.gif

Your sig is 17 lines. Please condense it to 10 or less.

From the [H] forum rules:

(22) No active links, graphics, code, profanity or advertising allowed in the SIGNATURE. Signature is limited to 10 lines total at no more than 90 characters per line.

try taking out the third card and starting the system with just the 2 connected. then shut down and install the 3rd card and see what CCC shows.

also download gpu-z and see what it says about crossfire.

Sure the card works?

also, do you even need tri Xfire on a 22' LCD...

This isn't [P]ractical|Forum this is [H]ard|Forum!

If I had any useful tips I would lend them to you, but unfortunately I do not. Good luck in your quest for overdoing that res!

I now think it's one of three things. Crossfire bridge, Motherboard is defective or the the video card bios is causing the the 3rd card to run at 16x1.

ccc-11-30-20091-38-14PM.png

od-11-30-20091-43-34PM.png

This was brought to my attention on the AnandTech forums. The sound ports appear to be defective as well. The bus also causes the speaker to squawk constantly while functioning. This is on the Gigabyte Motherboard ga ex58-ud5. There are no Pcie settings for graph slots in the bios.

I will rebuild the MSI system that I originally had the 3rd gpu disabled problem with but didn’t have the sound port or speaker squawk problem. Geez…. I'm a fairly competent tech who’s build several gaming rigs and I’ve never had this much trouble. I've never tried building a muti-gpu system either. I just ordered 2x crossfire bridge to eliminate that as an issue.

Thanks for the help,

rant.gif

not sure if this is an issue or not, but could the 3rd card sitting on a x1 lane be the problem?

Check your motherboard specs and find out how it handles the x16 port PCIe slots, sometimes they advertise as 3x16 speed, yet if you use 1 or 2 at full speed the 3rd might decrease to an x8 or maybe even a x1 speed?

I would try all possible combinations of bridges and cards in just 2x crossfire.

So try these:

Card 1 and Card 2 with Crossfire bridge 1
Card 1 and Card 2 with Crossfire bridge 2
Card 1 and Card 3 with Crossfire bridge 1
Card 1 and Card 3 with Crossfire bridge 2
Card 2 and Card 3 with Crossfire bridge 1
Card 2 and Card 3 with Crossfire bridge 2

If any combination of those dont work (at full speed, double check speeds with 3dmark is expected) then you have some faulty hardware and it should be obvious what, if all of them setups work then it's motherboard related or possibly powersupply related from the additional draw.

Back