• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

3ware 9500s to 9550

Hudson187

n00b
Joined
Dec 1, 2009
Messages
36
I am currently running a 3ware 9550s 4 port on my WHS for the system disk -- two 500gb drives in a RAID 1 array -- these are the only drives on this card. Last night, one of the drives died, resulting in a degraded array running the OS on one drive. I RMA'd the damaged drive and awaiting a replacement, however I began to look for the much needed BBU unit for the 9500s. There is nothing available for less than $150, but I was able to find a 3ware 9550 4port card with the BBU for only $45.

My question is -- I can upgrade from the 9500 to the 9550 without having to format/re-install WHS? I think I would have to make a new RAID 1 array on the 9550 with two clean drives, pull one of those drives, clone my original drive to that, then hook it back up and let the card rebuild, resulting in a RAID 1 array with my original data mirrored. Any suggestions/ideas?
 
I think I've answered my own question -- found something in the 9590 user guide:

"After you have configured a unit on a 3ware 9000 series controller (9500S,
9550SX, or 9590SE), you can move it to a different 3ware 9000 series
controller, and retain the configuration on the new controller. This is referred
to as “array roaming.”

Sound about right?
 
Back
Top