3TB drive not recognized in Windows

MrCrispy

2[H]4U
Joined
May 14, 2007
Messages
4,001
New Hitachi 3TB drive. It shows up in bios but not in Windows. Its an HP workstation using an LSI Raid card, but not running any Raid.
 
Win7 Enterprise x64. I've run the latest update from HP, nothing new shows up.
 
You mean there is no 3TB drive in DiskManager? Or after adding the drive there is no new drive letter in explorer?
 
Yup, it doesn't show up in Disk Management, Device Manager (or any other hw check utility like Speccy).
 
Is it so difficult to provide details in your initial post? Why do you make people interrogate you one by one to get the details?
 
Sorry, I thought I had enough details, since I already checked the usual things (drivers, drive not formatted etc) but you're right.
 
That means you are supposed to edit the OP and add the missing details, of which there are still several.
 
Does your BIOS see the drive?

Some controller cards will not see larger HDDs without a firmware update or proper support.
It may just be that that LSI card will not 'see' a 3TB HDD. I've had this happen with controller cards.

If your BIOS does not see it, double check the settings and physical connections.

If all of that fails, your HDD might just be boned.
 
Another thing i've seen with some raid controllers is they don't like non-raid drives and require you to set things up as raid 0 if you want to use a single drive. I dunno if that applies to the controllers you have or not.
 
Another thing i've seen with some raid controllers is they don't like non-raid drives and require you to set things up as raid 0 if you want to use a single drive. I dunno if that applies to the controllers you have or not.

Which someone might be able to point out if the OP had bothered to tell us the model of card he has.
 
Also, certain cards allow an 'IT firmware' to be loaded, which removes all RAID functionality, and turns the card into a pass-through node. From what I've heard, it works great for stand-alone drives, ZFS, and software RAID.

The RAID card in question has to support the special firmware in order for it to work though.
 
Back
Top