3rd WC loop to bring down 85c temps

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
My sons Ryzen 3600 system was running at 85c under load and heavy gaming, this with a Hyper 212 and 2 fans exhausting at full speed. Granted his room is the hottest in our place with direct sunlight in 34c weather but still, I’ve been meaning to slap a block on his Ryzen rig.
This is my 3rd WC custom loop so I’m still gettting the hang of things but it sure is an addiction.
The only issue I had was where to mount the EK pump/res since he has a Fractal Define C Meshify and craming everything up front was tight. I used the honey comb holes on the bottom where the 120mm fan can go and was able to tighten it down there. Using an EK 360PE with 3 Vardar fans.

Temps are now around 35-40 Idle, 68c under full load in Cinebench R20, but I’ll take it. Yesterday I played around with undervolting to 1.2Vcore, and the load temps in R20 stayed around 58c which seeeemed awesome untilMy score dropped to 3100 from 3500. I was using Hardware Monitor from CPUZ and the all core boost speeds stayed around 3850 so I’m not sure why the score dropped so much. When I set the voltage to Auto, at full load R20 I’m seeing Vcore as high as 1.4 but hovering around 1.28-1.3 with sustained all core boost clocks of 3900-4000mhz. The default Vcore assigned in Auto mode is 1.225, and the board it’s on is the Gigabyte X570 Pro Wifi.
80DEE8FB-978D-44F2-8480-86A7DE8EDC26.jpeg
ECF6D36B-333B-478F-BBBA-3F521817F886.jpeg
A48B87E3-14E8-4E02-A899-CB3FD83E4665.jpeg
69CBD480-AE13-45A2-9309-26AFB8A905DF.jpeg

Not bad looking but it's definitely time to get in there with a can of compressed air and clean out the dust.

Ok so I am no expert on overclocking but I have learned a few things over the past month. First, your temps are really good for a room that hot, Ryzen does run a bit hot, not a lot but high 70's under load with a custom loop that has plenty of rad is very normal. You get no benefit from manually overclocking that chip, just set xmp and infinity fabric and let the chip run itself. That occasional 1.4 that you see is normal and should not be alarming. Ryzenmaster and Hwinfo are better for monitoring Ryzen chips.

Not bad looking but it's definitely time to get in there with a can of compressed air and clean out the dust.

Unfortunately he keeps the computer under his desk on the floor, so dust is a constant battle. Once a week I give it the compressed air treatment.

Ok so I am no expert on overclocking but I have learned a few things over the past month. First, your temps are really good for a room that hot, Ryzen does run a bit hot, not a lot but high 70's under load with a custom loop that has plenty of rad is very normal. You get no benefit from manually overclocking that chip, just set xmp and infinity fabric and let the chip run itself. That occasional 1.4 that you see is normal and should not be alarming. Ryzenmaster and Hwinfo are better for monitoring Ryzen chips.

I’ve heard that as well, these chips are better left to set the XFR and let it run. With the lower temps and WC I’m seeing higher and sustained boost speeds. The ram is running at 3600, C18 1.35v, the only thing I keep forgetting to check is the infinity fabric, but I’ll check that out whenever his gaming marathon is on a break... kids 🙄

Last edited:
I want to say that I got some help here read some guides and watched a couple of youtube vids. I set xmp to 3600 and set infinity fabric to 1800. I can game for hours no problems, however if I run an AIDA64 stability test it fails within 20 seconds. From all I have researched that is due to tight ram timings causing a calculation error. At stock 2133 speeds this doesnt happen. Even with IFabric at auto this happens with xmp enabled. I have left it because other than that test the system seems quite normal. Just a little PSA.

Back