3rd Party SFP's

Mopower

Gawd
I need some 10G Calix SFP's. Calix wants $400 for single mode 10G SFP. I found some 3rd party ones for $44. What is the general consensus on 3rd party SFP's? I'd hate to have one of these be the cause of problems or be the cause for Calix to blame a problem on one. But the price is very tempting.

If this is for a production environment, can you justify any down time to your bosses with "But we saved $350 for this SFP!"?

I need some 10G Calix SFP's. Calix wants $400 for single mode 10G SFP. I found some 3rd party ones for $44. What is the general consensus on 3rd party SFP's? I'd hate to have one of these be the cause of problems or be the cause for Calix to blame a problem on one. But the price is very tempting.

most 3rd seller can reprogram/re-id SFP to match with calix........

I know one company and very good and reasonable price(good quality and not cheap)!! fiberstore www.fs.com

before buying, ask them and request them to program SFP with calix .

some hardwares reject OEM or 3prty ID. this is the reason SFP must be reprogram.

If this is for a production environment, can you justify any down time to your bosses with "But we saved $350 for this SFP!"?

Yes it is for production. I work for a internet service provider. Thus my hesitancy. Saving $350 isn't that big of a deal. But Calix wants $1800 for a single multi mode 10G SFP. So saving over $1000 would be a big deal. I haven't found a multi mode one yet though from a 3rd party vendor. I'll probably just stick to Calix for better peace of mind.

Unless it's a work budget requirement I wouldn't risk my job going above and beyond.

We were recently quoted $4000 for a 40G QSFP Juniper optic from one of our suppliers, we countered with a $350 10gtek price listing, they went back to Juniper and got it down to $400. Depending on your supplier there is probably quite a bit of wiggle room.

I've had much better luck with refurbished name brand units than those from fiberstore. We pay about $300 for 10gig cisco optics, on fiberstore there under $50 if I recall but I could never get one to work.

And didn't even bother with the Ciena ones, the support is way too important to mess around with saving a few thousand on optics.

I've had much better luck with refurbished name brand units than those from fiberstore. We pay about $300 for 10gig cisco optics, on fiberstore there under $50 if I recall but I could never get one to work.

And didn't even bother with the Ciena ones, the support is way too important to mess around with saving a few thousand on optics.

I had much luck on sf product...
fb is generic product, and they can program to match and work with your hw.

refurbished one that matched is the best since just plug and play.
Usually look used/refurb on ebay since the price can be lower than 50% or more....

We have had good luck with Axiom sfps in our Cisco 4510 core switch. We mainly run 10gb twinax. But we have quite a few axiom sx transceivers.

Having dealt with this topic with ISP's many times over, go with a brand name optic from your usual supplier no matter what the cost.

If you do have issues most (good) suppliers will actually advance warrenty a part with no questions. In other words if you have a failure, put your spare in and warranty the failed one. the supplier advance warrenties the part and you aren't without a spare for long.

My juniper rep has even done that with a MIC3-3D-1X100GE-CFP before for the MX2020.

Back