• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

3pin vs 4pin fan header

mrwill

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 26, 2005
Messages
174
I have a 4 pin M/B header that I would like to use with a case fan that has a 3 pin connector. Is there an adapter or can I just plug it in a certain way?

The 4 pin header is labeled CPU, but my CPU fan will be controlled with a rheostat type fan controller, so I wanted to control the case fan using M/B software (that is typically used to control the CPU fan).
 
I know that with my Biostar NF61S motherboard I could plug a 3pin directly into the 4pin with no adapter. When I did that I had to go into the bios and change it so it knew the fan was 3 pin and after that it worked perfect.
 
I will try that. Not sure if I should put the 3 pin connector to the right 3 pins of the 4 pin header or to the left 3 pins of the 4 pin header. Can I assume it will not hurt anything if I get it wrong, or will it work either way?
 
There will be a little piece of plastic sticking up out of the connector which will only allow you to plug the connector in to one specific set of three pins. Just give it a shot and you'll see what I mean by that.
 
its an induction coil, you could plug it into a 3.5mm audio jack and it would still work.

Yes, plugging your 3pin fan connector into the 4pin cpu header is fine.
 
Back
Top