3mb DSL or 10mb Cable over Wireless?

pigwalk

[H]F Junkie
Hey guys, I'm moving to a new place and unfortunately my DSL is going to be downgraded from my current 5/640 to 3/512. However, I will be VERY close to my work, and they have a 10 down Cable line here, which I can connect to via wireless. Which would be better for gaming? A slower hardwired line or a faster wireless line?

I use cable over wireless and have had no problems at all. My wife is connected directly to the cable modem and there is virtually no noticeable difference between her connection and mine.
That's just my experience.

How close will you be? I imagine the DSL line will be better, since gaming is sensitive to packet loss and pings.

I had Sprint wireless at 3-5mbs download and it was slower than my 1.5mbs DSL due to latency from distance, environment, etc. For gaming, I'd stick with the hard connection.

Noted and I'll keep it in mind. Not to mention the cable here freezes up every once in a while for some reason. It'd be a pain in the ass to have to get up mid game, run outside, open the door to the office, turn off the alarm, reset the modem, turn the alarm back on, lock up again, and walk home. All at 11pm in my underwear :).

For gaming choose a wired connection. Gaming in a Wireless enviroment is too sensitive to signal drops, packet drops, various other misery...

Back