3gb or 2x2gb?

badbadtz560

Limp Gawd
I tried running 2x1gb ocz + 1gb gskill this morning and nearly fried one of the ram chips (I don't know why, they just got super hot). will this happen if i get one stick of ocz instead of 2ocz+1gskill? or do I have to use 2 sets of 2x1gb ocz to get it to work properly while overclocking?

running an e6300 at 7x 430 with 1:1 timings.

gskill was 5-5-5-15 and ocz was 4-5-4-15.. was running them at 5-5-5-15 and 430 speed

if you want to throw your FSB speed out the window then go ahead and run mis-matched sticks. if you want the dual channel feature (which DOUBLES your effective bandwidth) you need either 2 or 4 sticks of equal size. if you have 2x1gb its going to be much much much better then 3x1gb. and unless your running vista (which you shouldnt but thats another thread) theres no reason to have more then 3gb you wont ever use all of it. stick with 2 sticks of 1gb. also the only reason they would be getting hotter when you add more of them would be a voltage problem, either the auto setting is screwing up, you set it too high or something like that. also the fact that theres more sticks close together would increase temps but only slightly.

I happen to be running vista home premium.. and I already confirmed that my bf2 lag problem is due to the lack of ram... It stopped laggin w/ 3gb but the comp failed stabilty testing w/ occt

The sticks were very close to a temp that woulda burned my hands.. which I guess no one can figure out why (it was set at 5-5-5-15 timings 430x7). I guess if I can change out my cpu heatsink, i'll install 2x2x1gb since my current 7700 is blocking one of the ram slots

RAM can tolerate high heat.

Remember that your hands and fingers are VERY sensitive to heat.

The RAM chips may not have even been above 100*F, for all we know.

Oh .. the ocz ram works fine.. I was just mentioning it b/c RAM isn't supposed to get that hot .. it doesn't get anywhere near that temperature when i have 2x1gb.. but when i had the 2x1+1g.skill, somethin obviusly went wrong, as was shown by the heat.. that was my purpose for mentioning the heat... it proves that somethin went wrong w/ the 3 sticks...

ok.. so I just bought some patriot ram taht went on sale 2x1gb. hopefully the 4x2x1gb setup will work... especilaly since they're diff rams

Back