3G wireless internet access,how to share it?

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
My ISP have this 3g service now. They give you an USB device which has a gsm sim in it, and if you are within the 3g coverage, then you have internet in your laptop wherever you go.

How do I share this internet connection? I know I need to use networking, but how to do it exactly ....I don't know! so how? Can I have my laptop connected to a wireless router, and then whatever connects wirelessly to this router will have internet? My laptop with this USB device is the source of internet and I want everything else to get to the internet through this laptop....

Bear with me, I'm almost ignorant when it comes to networking!

Don't worry about it, we can't all know everything. :D

Make sure your wireless router is set as just an access point. After you do that you can right click on your 3G connection in Network Connections and click properties. From here click Sharing or whatever it is in XP (furthest tab to the right) and click share this internet connection and select the connection you want to share it over from the drop down menu.

This essentially turns your PC into the router.
If you need any more help, Just ask.

My router is a D-link wireless router with one wan port and 4 lan ports(DL-524). Should I link the laptop with the wireless router using a cat5 cable? and how do i set up the router as just an access point? is it from the router configuration page, which I can go to by typing the router's ip address in explorer?

Thanks

What is the exact model #?
I can go to D-Links page and look at the emulated firmware and give you more details from there.

just need to disable DHCP on the DLink, and then setup Internet Connection Sharing (there is an Internet Connection Sharing Wizard in XP somehwere) on your laptop, which will then essentially turn your laptop into the router/gateway.

Back