3G iPhone question

The18thLetter

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, by now we've all heard the rumors that a 3G iPhone will be announced (and possibly released) during Macworld 2008.

That's awesome and all, but the problem with that is the fact that I was actually planning on buying a EDGE iPhone... tomorrow!

So, my question is... do you think Apple would offer some sort of special for those who bought an iPhone within the last few weeks before the 3G is announced? I.E. are they known to do such things? I know when they phased out the 4GB iPhone and reduced the price of the 8GB one, that they hooked up the 8GB owners with some sort of special deal...

I ask because I'd hate to buy the EDGE one tomorrow, and have the 3G one announced + released on the 14th... just to be assed out because I bought it a week and change too early.

Would you buy any other product with an expectation to get "hooked up" when a better version is released?

If you need a new phone, get one. If you can wait for an official 3G iPhone announcement, wait.

11 days to wait, just be patient...haha

for the iPhone, 3G would be a huge upgrade.

note: apple does have a 14 day return policy...so you COULD buy it tomorrow, and if you find out they release a new one, go back and return it saying you are not happy that a newer version was released so soon after you bought it.

Would you buy any other product with an expectation to get "hooked up" when a better version is released?

If you need a new phone, get one. If you can wait for an official 3G iPhone announcement, wait.

In most cases, no, I wouldn't expect it. However, I brought up the example of Apple doing so w/ the 8GB iPhones for that very reason... because they've done it before, and I honestly don't know if they've done it prior to that when it comes to other iPods (you guys would know about that more than I).

But yeah... you've pretty much answered my question, so thanks for that. :)

11 days to wait, just be patient...haha

for the iPhone, 3G would be a huge upgrade.

note: apple does have a 14 day return policy...so you COULD buy it tomorrow, and if you find out they release a new one, go back and return it saying you are not happy that a newer version was released so soon after you bought it.

I wasn't aware that the iPhone had a 14 day return policy!

Thank you for letting me know, I'll definitely pick it up tomorrow then, because that's a great idea. :)

I wasn't aware that the iPhone had a 14 day return policy!

Thank you for letting me know, I'll definitely pick it up tomorrow then, because that's a great idea. :)

yeah, with a 15% restocking fee. ;)

I highly doubt it will be released at Macworld, it may be announced for later this year but it won't be released.

yeah, with a 15% restocking fee. ;)

I highly doubt it will be released at Macworld, it may be announced for later this year but it won't be released.
I believe it's impossible for it to be released. It has to go through FCC certification first.

If you want an iPhone, get one. If you can wait, do that instead. It's up to you, but don't expect Apple to reimburse you.

I would wait unless you're just dying for an iPhone.

I doubt a 3G version will come out before June of this year.

Its so hard being an adoptor, early or not, when you know that something better is coming soon.

I'd say if its what you really want, get it. AT&T has been upgrading the EDGE equipment in major areas so higher speeds are capable, but still not at 3G speeds.

Otherwise, wait till Macworld, wait until February to see what the native app scene from apple looks like, but I doubt we'll see the 3G iphone by May.

Its so hard being an adoptor, early or not, when you know that something better is coming soon.

I'd say if its what you really want, get it. AT&T has been upgrading the EDGE equipment in major areas so higher speeds are capable, but still not at 3G speeds.

Otherwise, wait till Macworld, wait until February to see what the native app scene from apple looks like, but I doubt we'll see the 3G iphone by May.

I'll have no problem shelling out for a new iPhone when they release a 3G 16gb model.. i'll just pass my 8gb one on to my mother.

In most cases, no, I wouldn't expect it. However, I brought up the example of Apple doing so w/ the 8GB iPhones for that very reason... because they've done it before, and I honestly don't know if they've done it prior to that when it comes to other iPods (you guys would know about that more than I).

But yeah... you've pretty much answered my question, so thanks for that. :)

FWIW, your example of Apple doing ti with the 8GB iPhone is flawed. Reason being is they dropped the price of the same model rather quickly, they didn't revamp anything it was the exact same thing for less money and a lot of people were upset about that. A new model is a new model, you can't expect them to compensate for something completely different.

I would say if you want one get one.
First the current iPhone model has wifi which unless you live in the country I am sure you have plenty of wifi spots you can tap into. Also, the idea of Apple bringing out the phone at Macworld will not happen, but will/may happen is the announcement of a 3G iPhone (maybe 16gb) which will be released June 29th (one year release?).

You do realize it's the same price with or with out a contract? There is no mark up or mark down. It cost the same way either way.

Yep. Same price.

I think of it as buying a piece of electronics that I'll use and love every day, like I do with my current 8Gb model.

It'll just be faster and have more storage :)

OK, dumb question.....but I thought 3G was just the network that the iPhone would communicate over....so why wouldn't a first-gen iPhone not work on 3G? Wouldn't a software update correct that? :confused:

OK, dumb question.....but I thought 3G was just the network that the iPhone would communicate over....so why wouldn't a first-gen iPhone not work on 3G? Wouldn't a software update correct that? :confused:

It is hardware if the phone can communicate with 3G or EDGE or GMSA or others.

You do realize it's the same price with or with out a contract? There is no mark up or mark down. It cost the same way either way.

last time I'd checked, without a contract, AT&T would charge you $999 for it. Has that changed?

last time I'd checked, without a contract, AT&T would charge you $999 for it. Has that changed?

:eek:
The iPhone was never, ever that expensive. The highest price was 599USD before the price drop; now if you are referring to the France "unlocked" iPhone that cells for a high price then yes it does go for 1,000 euros or more. Though you get an unlocked iPhone and such, but in the states here they are at 399 with or without a contract.

:(
I must have been out of it or something yesterday to write those numbers, I have changed them to reflect the proper numbers, thank you for the corrections. /slaps self in face

If you want to avoid the 15% restocking fee, sell it on eBay. Just don't do it AFTER they announce the 3G iPhone.

Back