Would you buy the 3DS for 300?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 11.1%
  • No, too expensive.

Votes: 157 66.8%
  • Meh, I dont care.

Votes: 52 22.1%

• Total voters
I reaaaally want a 3DS and was waiting for the pricing and release for seemingly forever. I won't be buying one at this price.

$200ish was my hopes.

With all this talk of 3D coming to cell phones and that whole Xbox Live integration thing...

I wonder who will have the better platform...

I hate carrying a DS and a phone when it's so obvious that the devices should be combined.

I was expecting a price around $300, so yeah probably.

Edit: Apparently Mega Man Legends 3 is happening and its happening on the 3DS. $300? No problem. Sign me up.

Last edited:
I don't see how you can be appalled at a $300 price point for something like this. A top tier smart phone is more than double the price and is probably not that far removed in hardware.

I kept thinking 3DS max for 300? Hell yea! That shit is expensive.

Anyways, I would not buy it right away. I would want to see how well it really works first. I'm thinking I would rather put that 300 towards my computer...

Oh and remembering back to the good ol days, Pokemon in 3D would be sweet. :D

lol what? 300? Never... A DS costs 150 and I think that's too much and to just get 3D and upgraded graphics for twice as much? Hell no!

Nope; as much as my wife and I are excited for 3DS, we are not excited enough to pay 300. maybe for 180.

A proper analog stick and 3D capabilities without glasses? Yeah, I'll probably fork out $300 for it. I've been wanting a real analog stick on a mobile for a long time. The 3D is just a bonus.

Many fighting and adult-ish games in the lineup trailer. And effin Ocarina of Time, portable and in 3d :O

hell no... way too expensive. 150.00 would be the sweet spot... for 300, I'll just upgrade my 3Gs to an iphone 4 (and have a larger gaming library than the DS to boot)

225 would have been a better price ... 300 is a little too much. But we all know it will sell like hotcakes.

I'm honestly not sure. It sounds like a great system...but that is pretty steep. SF4 is a launch game, so I'm excited as hell about that. Plus, I dig the control layout.
I think the main thing is that we really have to see/interact with it to see what the 3D is all about. Until I see how good that looks in person, I don't know for sure.
Right now I think I probably will end up getting one, though.

I was honestly interested in checking out the 3DS. But, at 300$? fuck that. i was thinking 199 max. maybe 225.

I don't see how you can be appalled at a $300 price point for something like this. A top tier smart phone is more than double the price and is probably not that far removed in hardware.

Yea but a good smartphone does a whole lot more than just games. My iPhone I believe has the exact graphics chip? But it also does phone, Internet , PMP and a whole lot more. That an I paid $300 for it as well.

I'm not sure how they can really justify that price. I mean they are charging the same thing for a portable that they charge for the 360 and PS3. I know it's apples and oranges, but come on.

I'll have mine on launch... all will be jealous of the 30 year old with a 300 dollar portable.

I don't care at this point. Ask me later when some good content actually comes out for it. I typically wait a year or two anyways, for the games and system to stand the "test of time" a bit... a price reduction would be nice, but if there are 3 or more games I really think I'll like, then I'll buy it for 300 easy...

This is about what I expected it to be price wise. Its the first non glasses 3d device, its going to have a premium attached for awhile.

I'm not sure how they can really justify that price. I mean they are charging the same thing for a portable that they charge for the 360 and PS3. I know it's apples and oranges, but come on.

New, expensive, technology and Nintendo absolutely refuses to take a loss on any hardware they sell.

This will be interesting, Sony pinpointed the hardware price as one of the reasons for the PSP's relative lack of success and slow software sales - buyers allegedley didn't like carrying such a valuable system around with them, so it tended not to get used as much as a Nintendo DS. I have a different opinion, but I think attitudes to carrying expensive gadgets have evolved anyway. I think 3DS will be a success, but probably not on the scale of DS.

I would like one, but not at that price, and only if GOOD games are released

which takes a while with the handhelds.

Yes considering I missed all the DS games and there's been some i've wanted to play.

I think its a pretty stupid move... it costs more than the xbox and wii and same as the ps3

The supposed specs are nothing to praise either...

Cheap move by nintendo... i ll wait for the 3ds lite or whatever, simply too much for a handheld

3d is stupid. Paying more money for something stupid is stupid.

120 is the max I would pay.

FYI, your iPhone does NOT have the same graphics chip and doesn't use the same arm processor either

Nope, if the games come in large numbers and high quality I may consider buying a used 3DS for < $150 whenever that is.

edit. I played with a 3DS at E3, it was cool. I currently own a DS and never touch it, once the novelty of the 3DS wears off, it'll collect dust as well.

Not happening. I'll just play some of my back catalog on steam instead.

And then in a year I'll get it for much cheaper and there will be a decent catalog of games I actually want to play.

Rethinking it even more, I have a BIG collection of games that I own that I have yet to beat.

Maybe once I get through all of those I'll consider a 3DS.

Hmm now that I've though about it...

If they come out with a good Turok game for it, like the orignals for the N64, then yes I might. :)

As cool as the 3DS is, I absolutely refuse to pay $300 for a portable system. I know it's new tech and whatnot, but I honestly rather add a PS3 to my collection if I'm going to be spending $300.

I know Nintendo basically refuses to take a loss initially on hardware, but I think they may have to with this. In all seriousness, the largest market for handheld gaming is kids (if I had to guess, probably like age 6-14). The $300 point is beyond the range that most kids will be able to "save up" for, so that leaves it up to mom and dad to make the purchase. Many, if not most, kids already have a DS or DSi at this point (by this I mean kids that play games and are in families that are able to do so financially), so I highly doubt their parents are going to buy them a new 3DS when their old DS or DSi is working just fine...especially after they realize they could get the family a home console for the same price or even less. It's also going to be a tough sell simply due to the fact that the DS and DSi are still going to be on the market for less than half the price.

I will be keeping my eye on the system for sure though. Perhaps after a year or so the price will drop to something reasonable for a handheld.

Nintendo has the Midas touch. They own the handheld market. This will sell like hotcakes, guaranteed.

Nintendo has the Midas touch. They own the handheld market. This will sell like hotcakes, guaranteed.

But not above a certain price point. Right now kids can buy a better gaming machine from Apple with the Ipod Touch, and since their price starts at $230, the $300 mark of the 3DS feels overpriced.

The Ipod Touch is 1/3 the thickness of the 3DS, has a higher-resolution main screen, has comparable battery life, has a more modern GPU with real shader support, has a real app store with a huge selection of apps, and it also does just about anything else you could possibly imagine. Did I also mention that the Apple device is considered sexy and desirable, whereas the 3DS looks like a brick that hasn't been redesigned since 2005?

The only things the 3DS has is (1) real controls and (2) 3D, and that's a dead-end gimmick.

I have a feeling that Nintendo is going to have serious problems selling their new toy, now that everyone and their dog can get more powerful graphics for less from another maker.

But not above a certain price point. Right now kids can buy a better gaming machine from Apple with the Ipod Touch,

No kidding.

But when it comes to gaming, who has the bigger brand and background? It's got to be Nintendo.

and since their price starts at $230, the $300 mark of the 3DS feels overpriced.

Yeah, but "it's 3D!" ;)

The Ipod Touch is 1/3 the thickness of the 3DS, has a higher-resolution main screen, has comparable battery life, has a more modern GPU with real shader support, has a real app store with a huge selection of apps, and it also does just about anything else you could possibly imagine.

But it doesn't do 3D! ;) Yes, I'm being sarcastic since I couldn't give a crap less about 3D myself but the point has to stand.

I honestly had not seen a hard marketing push for the Touch as a "handheld gaming machine" as much as it is a "a machine that does a hell of a lot" so this is news to me.

I have a feeling that Nintendo is going to have serious problems selling their new toy, now that everyone and their dog can get more powerful graphics for less from another maker.

Which is ironic in more ways than one since often times Apple tends to uh have a little...name brand premium charge in their price tags as well. ;)

You make a lot of good points but I just say you can't count Nintendo out ever, especially in this market.

It'll be interesting.

You guys obviously do NOT understand supply vs. demand.

They are expecting 4 MILLION sold in the FIRST MONTH.
They CAN'T produce that many in time for launch. If this thing was any cheaper, noone would have one as it would be sold out worse than Wii could ever imagine.

BTW, its 25,000 yen. NOT $300. North America is still to receive final pricing.
I'm guessing we will get some sort of break, perhaps $279 or less. (DS has always been cheaper here than in Japan.)

Back