3DMark2K5 1.1 patch/hotfix out

3DMark05 Hotfix 110

- A possible exploit to inflate results in 3DMark05 version 1.0.0 has been fixed
- Updated Entech DLL
- One incorrect unit in the MS Excel importer has been fixed

So much for a synthetic benchmark, how can you rely on something that is suppose to be "synthetic" yet the results change so much with drivers and app patches?

haha!!!!!!!!!!! It already lost it's credibility after 2k1. That just pounded it straight into the ground for me.

Brent, your comments are always the best to read haha.

"A possible exploit to inflate results in 3DMark05 version 1.0.0 has been fixed" aka a bug in their software.

Got to test this out later tonight or tomorrow, but my orginal theory is coming to light a bug in 3dmark 05 :cool:

They have to patch it because of all of those games like DNF that will be built with this engine :D

I don't think it will affect anyone using the 8.07 hotfix drivers from ATi, as they seem to be approved by futuremark.

http://www.futuremark.com/community/drivers/?approved

I have seen what seems to be someone flashing their 6800 to look like its a GF4 (changing the identifier in the videocardbios) Radeon 9200 and GF4 and earlier shouldn't even be able to run the bench.

As to why anyone would want to flash their 6800 to look like a GF4 was probably something futuremark was not expecting.

bboynitrous said:
Is that even possible? To flash 6800 to a gf4? That doens't make sense.

Its not really a flash, you take the orginal bios and hex ed the identifiers,and flash that to the card, You are flashing the orginal bios with a new product id

I don't think they actually flash the GeForce 6800 with a GF4 bios they probably just modify the DeviceIDs on the existing bios.

Brent_Justice said:
So much for a synthetic benchmark, how can you rely on something that is suppose to be "synthetic" yet the results change so much with drivers and app patches?

You mean just like games FPS scores change with drivers and patchs? Granted not by the same ammount, but games are also subject to the same practices and even worse if they are high profile games (Doom3).

Well yesterday I saw someone with an 8000 point score that listed the videocard as an FX5200, but the drivername was some software... like 3dsoftware something?

Maybe that had something to do with it. I knew I should have taken a screenshot.

forget it man... if the patch doesnt give me at least a 1K boost in 3DMarks then I aint using it. :rolleyes:

:p

:D

:)

Damn, can I change the device ID of my x800 to that of a Radeon 7000 PCI? That would be badass.

RADEON 7000PCI GETS 11k IN 3DMARK 2003!!!!

WOOO haha.

kcthebrewer said:
They have to patch it because of all of those games like DNF that will be built with this engine :D

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH....that's gonna leave a mark for sure! :D

The patch did not alter my scores in any way (X800pro with 8.07 drivers).

I also don;t believe it's about 'inflated' scores either.

What the patch DOES do, is somehow reveal any illegal registration keys, preventing you from posting if you used an illegal key to upgrade to 3DMarkPro.

So, to post to ORB, you either:
1. Have to run the non-pro version, patched to 1.1
or
2. Use a legit reg key

Brent_Justice said:
Wow Brent, I'd think you would be a little more realistic than that.
I guess Doom3 is no longer a valid benchmark since ati is using A.I and got a massive fps increase?
Better toss that one off, cleary it's a bad benchmark if the performance could change that much :eek:

Moloch said:
I guess Doom3 is no longer a valid benchmark since ati is using A.I and got a massive fps increase?
Better toss that one off, cleary it's a bad benchmark if the performance could change that much :eek:

AI can be turned off for benching ;)

rancor said:
AI can be turned off for benching ;)
I Know that, but that would be stupid since the IQ is the same or better.
Point is Brent made a not so good statement.

Moloch said:
I Know that, but that would be stupid since the IQ is the same or better.
Point is Brent made a not so good statement.

Its not better could be equivalent to what Id's intentions were even though the gloss levels have changed.

It really doesn't matter what ATi does with thier drivers it just works better on nV's hardware, which hell all Ogl games work on nV's hardware its not a cheat or anything, thats nV's strong suit. Just like vertex shader performance for ATi in Dx.

rancor said:
Its not better could be equivalent to what Id's intentions were even though the gloss levels have changed.

It really doesn't matter what ATi does with thier drivers it just works better on nV's hardware, which hell all Ogl games work on nV's hardware its not a cheat or anything, thats nV's strong suit. Just like vertex shader performance for ATi in Dx.
Erm did you not see how it made it doom3 no doubt better, it removed aliasing, cant find it now tho :eek:

Moloch said:
Erm did you not see how it made it doom3 no doubt better, it removed aliasing, cant find it now tho :eek:

Havn't tried doom with the new drivers, well, Doom isn't on my ati pe system lol, don't really use it for gamin.

rancor said:
Havn't tried doom with the new drivers, well, Doom isn't on my ati pe system lol, don't really use it for gamin.
Erm what do use it for then?

pvanosta said:
The patch did not alter my scores in any way (X800pro with 8.07 drivers).

I also don;t believe it's about 'inflated' scores either.

What the patch DOES do, is somehow reveal any illegal registration keys, preventing you from posting if you used an illegal key to upgrade to 3DMarkPro.

So, to post to ORB, you either:
1. Have to run the non-pro version, patched to 1.1
or
2. Use a legit reg key

http://www.futuremark.com/news/?newsarticle=200410/2004100105#200410/2004100105

Their words, not mine.

poppachocks: thanks dude. I had read the blurb myself.

I guess I should have been more clear in my post:

I do not BELIEVE this is just about an exploit to post inflated scores.

Like I said, they obviously found out that there were a bunch of illegal registration keys floating around, withing 24 hours of the release.

Under 1.0, you could post to ORB with these keys.

Now, under 1.1, you cannot.

I assume they did not want to draw attention to the fact that there are these keys out there.

After all, they do still unlock full functionality of the app, with all the tests and the res/AA settings available to you.

The only thing you can no longer do, is post on ORB.

B.F.D.

Moloch said:
Erm what do use it for then?

programming and testing :)

Just checked out the patch no difference on the ati xt pe or xt still at 5600's

DermicSavage said:
so much for ATi's optimizations :rolleyes:

My score went up 12 points to 5724. Whatcha got to say to that Mr. I'm pissed cause my GT is getting owned?

DoomIII was not the say all end all in the graphics war. The sooner you realize that Id and Nvidia pulled one over on you guys the better.

I'm SO GLAD I didn't fall for the hype and buy a 'Built For D3' card. :rolleyes:

rancor said:
programming and testing :)

Just checked out the patch no difference on the ati xt pe or xt still at 5600's
what do u progam and test?

Moloch said:

Notice I emphasized "Synthetic" benchmark.

A true Synthetic benchmark that is supposed to show how powerful your video card is should not be swayed by driver updates or application updates that changes the score up or down.

A game is different from a "synthetic" test.

Brent_Justice said:
Notice I emphasized "Synthetic" benchmark.

A true Synthetic benchmark that is supposed to show how powerful your video card is should not be swayed by driver updates or application updates that changes the score up or down.

A game is different from a "synthetic" test.
I don't agree with that at all, why shouldn't it, aslong as the IQ is the same, and theres no funny clipping buisness going on, bring on the better scores.
Games get faster with new drivers, why shouldn'y synthetic benchmarks? They find a way to do something faster, and maintain IQ, whats the big deal?

So are you going to do any investigation into this Brent? Any kind of quality/driver comparison? Any kind of patch test? Or are you just gonna sit there and bash Futuremark because you don't like it?

Mister E said:
So are you going to do any investigation into this Brent? Any kind of quality/driver comparison? Any kind of patch test? Or are you just gonna sit there and bash Futuremark because you don't like it?
Prolly a mixture of both, just like before.

Back