3DMark2001 score low.. OC help needed...

demingo

Trump is My President!
I just ran 3DMark 2001. I scored a 16300. My ring is in my sig. The videocard isnt OCed (yet) and im running Cat 4.5s. Not really sure why, but It seems my score should be higher... I was hoping to break 20k with the card OCed but now im begining to wonder if I can.

I probably just missed something really simple in my overclocking or windows tweaking.. From what I can tell I dont have too many processes running, and my bios settings seem fine. All driver settings at default as well.

Your CPU limited...

But it's only 3DMark... synthetic... you cant play 3DMark

Yes, i know I cant play 3dmark... But your point is kind of... pointless.. 3dmark is just a nice judge of system performance... Say if I mess with settings... run 3dmark, and score a 1000 point gain, I can be sure that all my games will run faster. Also 3dmark is a nice general point of reference where i can compare specs without worrying about exact game settings etc.... So for a general view of things its fine....

demingo said:
Yes, i know I cant play 3dmark... But your point is kind of... pointless.. 3dmark is just a nice judge of system performance... Say if I mess with settings... run 3dmark, and score a 1000 point gain, I can be sure that all my games will run faster. Also 3dmark is a nice general point of reference where i can compare specs without worrying about exact game settings etc.... So for a general view of things its fine....

Sure it's a good point of reference... But just cuz 3DMark runs better doesn't mean your games will run better. I just think 3DMark isn't accurate enough. You run it one minute and get 16k and run it 10 min. later an dget 13k. But all that is just IMO

demingo said:
I just ran 3DMark 2001. I scored a 16300. My ring is in my sig. The videocard isnt OCed (yet) and im running Cat 4.5s. Not really sure why, but It seems my score should be higher... I was hoping to break 20k with the card OCed but now im begining to wonder if I can.

I probably just missed something really simple in my overclocking or windows tweaking.. From what I can tell I dont have too many processes running, and my bios settings seem fine. All driver settings at default as well.

Your score is about right for your system...3dMark01 is a cpu test as much as it is gpu. ;)
There are several tricks for up'ing your score---i.e., running Win2k vs. XP for AMD systems, shutting down services as per ViperJohn's guide, using dx8.1 for 3dMark 01, running 3dMark01 in real time via task manager, etc, etc. None will get you to 20K though...that'll require more cpu clocks, higher fsb, an oc'ed vid card & finally u could try tighter timings on your ram. Try 11-3-2-2 or 11-2-2-2 if you're lucky & have bh-5/6. I use the Uber bios 1007 w/ my a7n8x del rev 2.0 & it allows 2.9 VDimm which should help w/ tighter timings. Many hardcore 3dMark benchers set up a separate Win2K partition w/ a bare minimum (read those needed for the OS to function) of services/ processes running to achieve better scores. If it's worth the trouble & u live to bench then this is the route I would take...Win 2k coupled w/ dx 8.1 will improve your score significantly. ;)

Also, head over to OmegaCorner and try the 2496b cats, though others swear by the cat 3.2's, 3.5's or the 3.1's (though they require a bit of effort b/c they havta be forced to work w/ the 9x00 series of cards):
http://www.omegacorner.com/index_ati.html

That's a little slow IMO. My 2400-M is running 11x200 with my 9800pro running at stock speeds and I obtain 18k. I don't think 100mhz would give him a 2k point increase , also I'm running omegas 3.7's. That and my memory timmings at 2-2-2-6 , just for a reference point.

Your timings are tighter than mine as well swat. I think that has something to do with it. I seem to have reached a roadblock. It seems both my CPU and MEM wont OC more... I tried lowering my cpu multi and upping FSB but at 210x10 it would crap out (2100mhz).. also I tried running 166 (3-4-4-8) on the ram, and a multiplier of 13x on the cpu (2158mhz) but the damn thing wouldnt go through a run in prime95 as well. So unfortunately it seems im suck at 200x10.5. I was really hoping to get more out of this setup.

But just cuz 3DMark runs better doesn't mean your games will run better.

somewhat true that is , but i agree with the thread starter, if 3dmark2001 will run a full coarse without crashing to desktop or freezing , then its a good indication that your games will run without crashing as well ( i use it only as a quick ref. myself that way ).

as for the 16300 score (see sig) :p

demingo said:
Your timings are tighter than mine as well swat. I think that has something to do with it. I seem to have reached a roadblock. It seems both my CPU and MEM wont OC more... I tried lowering my cpu multi and upping FSB but at 210x10 it would crap out (2100mhz).. also I tried running 166 (3-4-4-8) on the ram, and a multiplier of 13x on the cpu (2158mhz) but the damn thing wouldnt go through a run in prime95 as well. So unfortunately it seems im suck at 200x10.5. I was really hoping to get more out of this setup.

Yea , I noticed mine are a tad tighter then yours. Though for there to be a 100mhz difference and my timmings be 2-2-2-6 compared to your 2-3-3-6 that's just crazy to make a 2k difference. Though I guess it's possible just didn't think it was. Have you tried upping your multi at all to 11x200?

If you want better scores, the default ATI drivers help, and make sure you have the AA/AF set to application preference, and everything else to the left. That looks about right for your processor, I use the Omega drivers for my 9800 Pro and get 18688 score, but if I switch to default ATI drivers I can get as high as 19500 score, but the 3D visual performance and quality in games are not as good with default ATI drivers.

Swat. I tried running at 11x200. Prime95 would bite the dust. Sadly I dont think this computer is getting any faster. I'm gonna rebuild the system in a week or two. Take off all my fans/heatsinks and clean them out. Add a fan onto the northbridge of my motherboard. Finally check what kind of core I have on the 9800pro. Holpefully with some ram sinks on the card, good thermal compoud, and a general clean out. I might be able to bump the OC up a little more.

Also Swat, if you have q3 installed, could you run it for me? Timedemo at the High Qual setting in options on the newest demo that comes with the 1.32. I'm just curious to see how mine compares

Back