3DMark threats [H]ardOCP **FUNDING**

blisstik

Limp Gawd
ok guys, if it ever came down to it, that Kyle would surely need some donations from "us" the community, would you guys ever give some $$?

if 100 people just threw in $10 each then we would have $1000 for his lawyers... just imagine if 1000 people donated...

count me in... Kyle time to setup a paypal account!

note to mods: please move to appropriate location

blisstik said:
ok guys, if it ever came down to it, that Kyle would surely need some donations from "us" the community, would you guys ever give some $$?

if 100 people just threw in $10 each then we would have $1000 for his lawyers... just imagine if 1000 people donated...

count me in... Kyle time to setup a paypal account!

HardOCP has spent over a $100,000 in litigations with Infiniuem Labs. I'll help, but not THAT much. Then again there are a alot of posters here. So who knows. It might work.

*shrugs*

I'll wait for official word on this.

Edit: Actually it should be that everyone donates $20, the same price of 3DMark05. :D

Nice gesture, but like the guy said up above, $1000 is a drop in the bucket. Actually, it's 1%.
I could see us raising 30k like we did for the family, but not 100k.

I'd throw money in if a banner on the page said Lawyers Suck.

I wouldn't want to be nosey, but seeing $150,000 going out the door to lawyers I have to wonder how Kyle affords all that...I'm sure the [H] is profitable, but how much revenue can a hardware enthusiast site actually generate?

More importantly, by the time Kyle gets around to counter-suing Infinium Labs to recoup the money he's lost, will there even be an Infinium Labs to collect from?

^eMpTy^ said:
I wouldn't want to be nosey, but seeing $150,000 going out the door to lawyers I have to wonder how Kyle affords all that...I'm sure the [H] is profitable, but how much revenue can a hardware enthusiast site actually generate?

i'd imagine advertisement/sponsership etc. pays off?

i will be more than happy to give $100 to $200 dollars to [H]ardOCP

like i said in the other FM thread i will defend [H]ardOCP to the end :D

^eMpTy^ said:

More importantly, by the time Kyle gets around to counter-suing Infinium Labs to recoup the money he's lost, will there even be an Infinium Labs to collect from?

Even at that a lawsuit doesn't guarantee payment. It simply creates a debt. Given the state of that affair I doubt that the [H] would get paid in the event of a successful counter suit. :(

As I stated in the main thread for this... I would be more than willing to donate if the need arrives.

mabey ive smoked too much....but what is going on here with 3dmark? can someone bring me up to date? mabey throw me a bone?

edit: i cant spell

^eMpTy^ said:

I'm with you. When I saw that $150K number it opened my eyes to just how profitable this site really is.

I don't think Kyle will be asking for donations anytime soon. And good for him. A lot of work has gone into this site over the last 5+ years (that I have been coming here). He has built this into one of the most respected sites on the net. If this site can't make loads of cash.. nothing can.

i dont donate to much, but i donated that one time for that family.

id surely donate my last few bucks in paypal for H.

yea same here. no other forum has the integrity and maturity that the H has. would like to help keep it that way!

HardOCP created its own bed, and now it has to lay in it. Like than man said above, click through and buy. That is support enough.

Sometimes the truth via opinion is better left unsaid. Sort of like my post right here. But Kyle likes a little more hot sauce with his news. Sometimes it burns ya.

Infinium will go the way of the dinosaur with or without Kyle saying anything. The product never had any merit. The idea to do what they are doing has been around a long time, and most businessmen and tech savvy marketeers figure out much earlier that it isn't going to work. Apple tossed this idea around 12 years ago or more. The consenses was, forgat about it.

Steam is a similar concept, but doesn't require over-priced proprietary hardware, which is the achilles heel of the Phantom. That and pure smoke. Steam has a better chance of being successful. They have some real meat in their menu.

Anyway, (I) don't feel too sorry for Kyle. He's a man and he can deal with Infinium and 3DMark FutureMark or whatever. If this site folds up because of this law suit, I'll eat my shorts. That'd be worth $10 right there.

Regardless, as much information as i've learned in the 6 years or so I've been reading the reviews (not the forums) I would be more than glad to if the need arises to help out.

[RIP]Zeus said:
i will be more than happy to give $100 to $200 dollars to [H]ardOCP

like i said in the other FM thread i will defend [H]ardOCP to the end
Sheeeet, gimme the coupla hundred bucks and I'll defend the [H] for you - save you the effort. :p

why is some new person to the forums always starts threasds like this when the [H] gets into something.

if kyle needs our help hell ask. and theres 1000's of that will be willing to help.

I would donate but I'm a bit too young to get a proper job or pay pal.
I will do my part by clicking your ads whenever I visit your site, hope that will help!

With all the money I've saved just through this site, I would see it a crime to not donate if it was asked. Though I doubt the [H] will ask.

This is exactly like a film studio threatening to sue a critic who gave the film 2 thumbs down. Relax, won't happen.

You could be sued for slander/libel, but not for mere opinion.

The difference is in saying "3DMark05 doesn't help to know how your card will perform with games", as opposed to saying "I think 3DMark05 doesn't help to know how your card will perform with games". The latter is an opinion.

I would expect the website is now a large part of the revenue stream, but at one point it surely was in trouble. They do have other streams of revenue...anyone remember ratpadz ? :p

Wolf-R1 said:
Even at that a lawsuit doesn't guarantee payment. It simply creates a debt. Given the state of that affair I doubt that the [H] would get paid in the event of a successful counter suit. :(

It is possible, AFAIK, that if Kyle wins, the judge may require Infinium Labs to pay all of the lawyers.

Josh_B said:
It is possible, AFAIK, that if Kyle wins, the judge may require Infinium Labs to pay all of the lawyers.

It won't be that open and shut.

Imagine lawyers who know a case is extremely winnable. They'll tell the client, at the beginning "We're charging $1,000,000 per hour."

There are practical, reasonable limits to "Court Costs".

^eMpTy^ said:
I'm sure the [H] is profitable, but how much revenue can a hardware enthusiast site actually generate?

If this didn't bring the bank, I'm sure it would have been gone long ago.

^eMpTy^ said:

Hell Anand has a house or two and a few mercdes I think so they must get paid pretty good. Kyle drives a Hummer and has purchased a house so it must be doing good at the moment. Of course he could be broke trying to pays them off lol. Car payments suck. But I have wondered that myself many times. Im too scared to trust that a webpage can support myself much less a family. Props to Kyle for having the guts.

zforgetaboutit said:
This is exactly like a film studio threatening to sue a critic who gave the film 2 thumbs down. Relax, won't happen.

You could be sued for slander/libel, but not for mere opinion.

The difference is in saying "3DMark05 doesn't help to know how your card will perform with games", as opposed to saying "I think 3DMark05 doesn't help to know how your card will perform with games". The latter is an opinion.
Bingo. No competent court in America would hear the trial.

yeah, that 3DMark dude apologized, i'm thinking someone above him to do so or he'll get the donald - "your fired!"

case closed, thread should be closed and/or deleted

kyle has never had a problem with guts, his problem is in the brain dept.
Althought I agree that the FM should not have done that, telling a company their products suck for unfounded reasons is bound to piss off people.
In game 2 of 03, it showed how the R420 is slower than the NV40, just like in doom3.

Moloch said:
Althought I agree that the FM should not have done that, telling a company their products suck for unfounded reasons is bound to piss off people.
And your point is?

I resort to the microsoft example. How many websites have the phrase "Microsoft Sucks" all over the place.

And how many of these sites are being sued by Microsoft?

It doesn't matter if you piss off people.

EDIT: Moloch sucks.

Back