3DMark FireStrike Records Broken

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Vince Lucido, better known as "K|NGP|N" by the overclocking crowd, pushed his four-way EVGA GTX 980 GPUs to 2.2GHz before settling down at 2GHz. He then busted the 3DMark FireStrike records for 4-way and single GPU.

Using four EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Classified ACX 2.0 4GB graphics cards overclocked to 2.0GHz/8400MHz (GPU/memory) and cooled-down using liquid nitrogen (LN2) as well as a test-bed equipped with an Intel Core i7-5960X processor clocked at 5.6GHz, an EVGA X99 mainboard and 16GB of 3.30GHz DDR4 memory, Vince “K|NGP|N” Lucido managed to set three absolute world records in 3DMark FireStrike benchmark.

Liquid helium would probably be too expensive and liquid hydrogen too dangerous, but would there be any benefit from using a colder fluid like liquid neon?

Wasn't 3DMark busted for intentionally crippling the scores if an AMD device was detected, as well as optimizing their code for NVidia? Seems to me that after that, no one would have given 3DMark another thought, and instead use real world gaming benchmarks.

This right here. Even then once a binned "kingpin" 980 comes out, I doubt many would see 1600Mhz +.

Good for him though, building his brand.

Also keep in mind that he's using liquid nitrogen for cooling and likely using insane voltages to reach these 2GHz+ clock speeds. They still won't come anywhere near that on air or water.

i7 5960X, 8 cores ,16 threads running at 5.6 ghz

bfj3fs.gif

just show me what hardware can do on water, EVEN SINGLE STAGE IS TOO $$$$ to run 24/7

Wasn't 3DMark busted for intentionally crippling the scores if an AMD device was detected, as well as optimizing their code for NVidia? Seems to me that after that, no one would have given 3DMark another thought, and instead use real world gaming benchmarks.

Doesn't Firestrike actually favor AMD cards? 280X beats 770, 290 beats 780 and 290X beats Titan and just about ties with the 780Ti.

But I agree synthetic benchmarks like 3DMark and Heaven are useless.

Would be much better if Microsoft (as Direct3D owner) could build a benchmark suite using actual game engines. A single benchmark suite combining UE3/4, Cryengine, Frostbite etc. would be awesome, and very useful.

Doesn't Firestrike actually favor AMD cards? 280X beats 770, 290 beats 780 and 290X beats Titan and just about ties with the 780Ti.
No clue, I only know about the Vantage debacle.

They used PhysX which showed reduced performance on AMD cards, and they had run tests that disable the processor telling 3DMark if it was Intel or AMD and when doing so the AMD scores would improve drastically, showing the code was intentionally crippling AMD scores. At the time I think 3DMark played stupid and blamed the Intel compiler, but it had been pointed out to them.

It would make sense that after the embarrassment of being caught red handed (pun intended), that they would have addressed the issue in an attempt to remain relevant. And this is coming from a pure Intel guy (don't have a single AMD processor in my or any of my family's houses).

Sureeeee he takes the firestrike world record with some binned cards that arent even released, I take the 12 core cinebench r15 and hwbot world record with two x5670s I got on ebay and nobody gives a shit haha

Back