3DMark 2005 released!

WOW, the XTPE dominates the 6800Ultra... I thought the 6800Ultra with PS3.0 was suppose to be faster in more PS related rendering? Ouch.. 3Dmark is "suppose" to represent future rendering techniques, so one would assume that the XTPE is going to be (a lot) better than the 6800Ultra in future games. I mean 1000 more points in the overal score is nothing to shake a stick at. I wonder what this means for UE3.0.

Thankfully no one really takes synthetic benches seriously around here, or there would be much concern for another ATi Vs. nVidia flaming war.

peace,
OriginalOCer

The Batman said:
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?dm05=8092

One question though. Why does it say my core clock was 350? I have it OCed to 430. It reads the memory just fine though, 1200.

Because, it's reading your video card clocks either before or after the test runs.....in which case the 6800 will be defaulting back to its 2D core clock of 350MHz.....whereas the memory always stays overclocked. You could just bump the 2D clock up to 430 if it's that important to ya though. ;)

can someone else with a Radeon X800 series card install the "HotFix" drivers and compare their score to their previous score please?

Warmonkey said:
nope.....cool benchmark though.

However,

My rig runs CS: source beta at 78 fps avg. with 2x AA and 16x AF @1024x768

Its only for the x800xt's and xt pe's interesting.

Ran 3dmark 05 several times. scored a 4838 with the Omega 4.8's...Installed the 8.07 hotfix drivers and scored a 5843. Ran 3dmark 03 and my score droped from a 12,323 to a 11,848.. Leads me to this conclusion. ATI has struck first optimizing thier drivers for the newest benchmark. ATI will soon release Catalyst 4.10 beta's. Nvidia will also issue a driver patch to compete. I have read over and over again in this forum that these benchmarks don't mean anything to pc enthusiasts. If this were true we wouldnt even bother to run them. Nvidia and ATI know that indeed these scores matter to some degree. I am off to try hotfix drivers with some real world gaming.

System specs- XP 3200+ at 2.305ghz, 1gig corsair, XTPE 520/560, Clear case mod 5x80mm fans 3 intake, 2 out.

SocketA said:
Ran 3dmark 05 several times. scored a 4838 with the Omega 4.8's...Installed the 8.07 hotfix drivers and scored a 5843. Ran 3dmark 03 and my score dropped from a 12,323 to a 11,848

ANYONE ELSE? I would like to see as many people as possible post their BEFORE "hotfix" driver scores and AFTER scores.

SocketA said:
Ran 3dmark 05 several times. scored a 4838 with the Omega 4.8's...Installed the 8.07 hotfix drivers and scored a 5843. Ran 3dmark 03 and my score droped from a 12,323 to a 11,848.. Leads me to this conclusion. ATI has struck first optimizing thier drivers for the newest benchmark. ATI will soon release Catalyst 4.10 beta's. Nvidia will also issue a driver patch to compete. I have read over and over again in this forum that these benchmarks don't mean anything to pc enthusiasts. If this were true we wouldnt even bother to run them. Nvidia and ATI know that indeed these scores matter to some degree. I am off to try hotfix drivers with some real world gaming.

System specs- XP 3200+ at 2.305ghz 1gig corsair XTPE 520/560

Of course they matter, its part of marketing and swaying the intial nebulous buyers, we are just saying its a crap way to benchmark :D

wow.... pretty eye candy esp the new space battle scene. the rest is....blah.

As far as the type of performance. let's see. I tested this on my girls shuttle cube

xp2500 with a 9800pro, 1gig ddr400. pretty decent box only to score 2351 :rolleyes:

wtf !!

worst is the fact that @ 1024 it was crawling in the 12fps avg. now am i the only one who sees this as software companies trying to tell my that this system is not cutting it. go out there and buy a damm GT or ATI whatever new card. ,mmmmmmmmm NO !

call me when either ATI or Nvidia actually make a decent cheap ie: $ 150 that kicks say 3 x my 9800 pro. No the the 6600gt aint it.

I personally wont update her box...more than enough for her. as for my p4 3.2 box with 9800, I wont bother. I am keeping it till say...dual core AMDs are the norm. and would not mind a decent mid price pci xpress card.

This is nothing but a pretty demo. go play real games.

Ps: Kyle thank you for standing up and not using this a bench tool :D

3831 here:
That nature scene is AWSOME!!!!!!!!! Just 1or 2 question though. Exactly how does that CPU test work? Whats the big load they are puting on the CPU as in what are they testing the CPU with? Physics and things like that?
~Peace

im wanting the hotfix but the links seem to be dead, someone know where i can get them?

I'm putting it in MyNapster (limewire, etc.) directory to share and I have a T1, roughly about 160kb/s average

make sure you allow .exe's to be shown.

Let's allow reality to intervene a little. Even at ~300mb this "little" benchmark give you a quick and dirty performance metric with pretty sustainable/repeatable results. It works well for that purpose... you can nay-say and come up with different arguments about whatever detail you want but the fact remains that this is still relatively lean and mean for it's purpose. Take your top 5 real world games, install them all, wiggle all the settings in each and after a several hours of testing you'll have something better! Wow! That's truely amazing! Whatever.

Steve said:
ANYONE ELSE? I would like to see as many people as possible post their BEFORE "hotfix" driver scores and AFTER scores.

does it matter that you have a 9800 pro?

edit: nevermind, will test when I get home

BlckRaven said:
wow.... pretty eye candy esp the new space battle scene. the rest is....blah.

As far as the type of performance. let's see. I tested this on my girls shuttle cube

xp2500 with a 9800pro, 1gig ddr400. pretty decent box only to score 2351 :rolleyes:

wtf !!

worst is the fact that @ 1024 it was crawling in the 12fps avg. now am i the only one who sees this as software companies trying to tell my that this system is not cutting it. go out there and buy a damm GT or ATI whatever new card. ,mmmmmmmmm NO !

call me when either ATI or Nvidia actually make a decent cheap ie: $ 150 that kicks say 3 x my 9800 pro. No the the 6600gt aint it.

I personally wont update her box...more than enough for her. as for my p4 3.2 box with 9800, I wont bother. I am keeping it till say...dual core AMDs are the norm. and would not mind a decent mid price pci xpress card.

This is nothing but a pretty demo. go play real games.

Ps: Kyle thank you for standing up and not using this a bench tool :D

What you say is so true. However.. you sound extremely bitter at your low score. Believe it or not.. your 9800pro is OUTDATED. With my spec's I'm aiming for 5200-6000.

Steve said:
Don't you guys read any other forums? This is what the hotfix does:

sirerics own words:
"The driver update was really just an AGP update. The PCIe X800's already scored the higher number. We released the 8.07, to fix a local memory utilization issue on AGP only cards. It's not a "3dmark05" specific driver. But 3dmark05 gets a benefit because it certainly taxes local memory more than most apps today. Any other app that requires lots of local memory will also benefit. "

And they are approved by futuremark: http://www.futuremark.com/community/drivers/?approved

The Batman said:
Steve, any idea on what's causing the inflated scores for the hotfix? And is it legit? Does it effect anything besides 3dmark05?

The 'hotfix' appears to be magically upping 3dmark05 scores by 41% or so.

I will believe its real when these drivers up the perform on Doom 3 by 41%.. hell even 10%.

S_Z said:
Don't you guys read any other forums? This is what the hotfix does:

sirerics own words:
"The driver update was really just an AGP update. The PCIe X800's already scored the higher number. We released the 8.07, to fix a local memory utilization issue on AGP only cards. It's not a "3dmark05" specific driver. But 3dmark05 gets a benefit because it certainly taxes local memory more than most apps today. Any other app that requires lots of local memory will also benefit. "

And they are approved by futuremark: http://www.futuremark.com/community/drivers/?approved

I think the issue here is why such a big change in scores when a game like Doom 3 (which also uses more than 128 megs of memory) doesn't show those types of gains. Also, why do other games and benchmarks tend to lose scores (even though not large) when using the newer drivers if all they do is allow for the extra memory to be used?

I got 2200 with my 9800 pro running stock. My mobo and processor are about 2 years old though, so i think im being held back by my 4x agp :(

theNoid said:
What you say is so true. However.. you sound extremely bitter at your low score. Believe it or not.. your 9800pro is OUTDATED. With my spec's I'm aiming for 5200-6000.

Ok, the 9800pro isn't the cutting edge of graphics tech now, but its hardly outdated. Theres nothing on the market now that the 9800pro couldn't play.

With a score like this, I'm amazed I can play Doom 3 on my system

Overall: 660
CPU: 1343

AMD Athlon XP 1900+
768 MB PC100 RAM
40 GB 7200RPM Samsung SpinPoint HDD
eVGA GeForce FX5700 Ultra 128mb DDR2
Stock Cooling

Fear my rig!

The Batman said:
Steve, any idea on what's causing the inflated scores for the hotfix? And is it legit? Does it effect anything besides 3dmark05?

Who said that the 8.07 results were inflated? As far as I understand this, ATI is claiming that these are correct results that one would get with 256M x800 level cards. ATI is also claiming that the lower scores with older drivers were due to a bug which became mostly apparent in 3dmark05.
For one, I believe them. Two reasons:
1) We've always known that x800 line *simply had more raw processing power* than the 6800 line (with the exception for OGL games).
2) I own an x800 xt pe.

So, until someone proves that ATI is cheating, or someone discovers that ATI is using some simple trick that is possible (but not yet implemented) on NV hardware -
things are exactly the way they should be - x800 xt pe is beating the pants off everyone.

EDIT:
Old_Way said:
I think the issue here is why such a big change in scores when a game like Doom 3 (which also uses more than 128 megs of memory) doesn't show those types of gains. Also, why do other games and benchmarks tend to lose scores (even though not large) when using the newer drivers if all they do is allow for the extra memory to be used?

1) Doom3 is an OGL game and everyone knows that NV is ahead of ATI in OGL.
2) I can't speak from experience (as I am yet to install 3dmark05 when I get home), but some people have already claimed more than 10% gains in d3 (some beyond3d posts, IFIRC).
3) ATI now claims that X800xt pe performance matches 6800U performance in D3 with this new hotfix (ATI powerpoint presentation about x700xt vs 6600gt business, on this site, one of the last slides).

Old_Way said:
How do you explain the PCIe versions get the same high score using the "old" Cat4.9?

acrh2 said:
Who said that the 8.07 results were inflated? As far as I understand this, ATI is claiming that these are correct results that one would get with 256M x800 level cards. ATI is also claiming that the lower scores with older drivers were due to a bug which became mostly apparent in 3dmark05.
For one, I believe them. Two reasons:
1) We've always known that x800 line *simply had more raw processing power* than the 6800 line (with the exception for OGL games).
2) I own an x800 xt pe.

So, until someone proves that ATI is cheating, or someone discovers that ATI is using some simple trick that is possible (but not yet implemented) on NV hardware -
things are exactly the way they should be - x800 xt pe is beating the pants off everyone.

Yeah ok, I have both the xt pci and xt pe, which both were effected by this "bug" this isn't a bug fix, if it was, as I stated earlier, it would have effected other programs specially ones that used heavy geomotric and shader usage. Odd that it only effected one of the benchmarks in 3dmark 05 and not the others.

rancor said:
They didn't have the same score with the older drivers vs the newer ones, the xt pci e increased aswell, just not by the same precentage, 25% instead of 30%
Source?

Back