3dmark 2003 score concern

Mikey20

Gawd
i gota 4660 score on 3dmark 2003 i use to get a 2500 score with my old FX5600nu card .......the 4660 is from my sig (9700pro)

is this a good score? im using cat 3.10s

ram is a bit slow... mite want faster ram, also overclock ur 9700 pro, u should be able to squeeze 2-400 more points on that benchmark with a 9700 pro

yes but will my mobo support pc3200?

my system is www.tigertv.com then click on 2.8 HYPERTHREADED SYSTEM P4 link and thats my mobo and all around system specs

Dont listen to these dweebs a few hundred points in 3dmark2003 isnt worth gutting your system and throwing out 3 256mb sticks of pretty good ram and spending hundreds on new ram.

Originally posted by Orbius
Dont listen to these dweebs a few hundred points in 3dmark2003 isnt worth gutting your system and throwing out 3 256mb sticks of pretty good ram and spending hundreds on new ram.

1. Actling like a child with name calling isnt going to get you anywhere.
2. Its a 2.8c, and they put in DDR 333 for some reason. It needs DDR 400 to get the best performance. Its also a dual channel mobo, having 3 sticks is not good. So the advice was sound.

To the poster, yes its worth changing out, and yes your mobo will support it. They REALLY went cheap by not putting in DDR 400, which the mobo and CPU are clearly ment to use.

i don't know where you guys get that ddr 333 is SLOWWW i mean come on....

and by the way i don't have 3 x 256 i have 1x 512 1x256 = 768mb ddr 333

right now i can't afford to do a ram upgrad to pc3200 i just upgraded my speaker system and bought this radeon 9700 pro card ......

Originally posted by Mikey20
i don't know where you guys get that ddr 333 is SLOWWW i mean come on....

and by the way i don't have 3 x 256 i have 1x 512 1x256 = 768mb ddr 333

You obviously dont understand how it works. You are shooting yourself in the foot, not once, but twice with that ram.

Your CPU and mobo are designed to work with a 800 FSB. Your ram is just DDR 333. A 800 FSB combo needs DDR 400 to perform best. You CPU has a 800 FSB, your mobo can use a 800 FSB, yet you are not using ram to match it, and its hurting your performance.

Also, its my understanding (not 100% sure on this though) that a dual channel motherboard needs the same size ram to work correctly. So again, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Is your 30 days up on that system? If not, I would try to return it and have a friend build a PC for you. For $1400, thats not such a great system, no offense.

edit, to make it more clear. Your CPU has a "real" FSB of 200, but it is quad pumped, so its 200x4 which gives it the 800 FSB. Your ram is DDR, double data ram, so its 2x the real speed. So 166x2, which is the 333Mhz rated speed. DDR 400 is 2x200Mhz, for 400Mhz. Hope that makes more sense.

yeh i will have to address my ram issues and harddrive is only 5400 rpm....i would like a 10k rpm but i don't got the cash for that right now

If I were you, I wouldn't sweat it if your system plays all the games you want and works w/ all of you other puter needs. Everything in your system is average except for your processor, mobo, and vid card. This things rock on your system. Like everyone said, you are slowing your system down w/ slower timing RAM, especially since your processor is made to run DDR400. Instead of upgrading RAM, and get quicker hard drive, save you money for next year and BUILD (When you build, you don't have to deal w/ crap components, expect from builders like Alienware or Falcon) from OEM's. As a matter fact, you should look at AMD 64 (kicks butt in 32 it apps versus P4, even the new P4 FX or whatever and have future w/ 64 bit apps and upcoming Windblows), and when the new die comes out, you will have a for sure upgrade path for at least one year. Make the P4 a server later on :)

A very small percentage of your score in 3dmark2003 originates from your CPU (and therefore RAM)

Its almost entirely a video card benchmark, i dont know whats a reasonable score for your video card so i cant really comment if theres a specific problem. However if there is then i doubt its a CPU or RAM problem. Try running Aquamark3 benchmark, that gives seperate CPU and video card scores, if theres any ram problems it would show up there, you can check your scores from that with other people, see how close they match. Benchmarks like 3dmark2003 have an accuracy boundry, maybe 20-30 3dmarks for 3dmark2003, more for AM3 as its overall scores are higher, maybe a 100-200 points.

I'm definatly going to go with frosty on this one she is spot on right;)
As i myself ran a 2.4c p4 with ddr333 for 2 months and while there was a slight performance hit it was not much.
Of course if you can i would say get some ddr400 but if moneys a bit tight then i would'nt sweat on running it on the p4c as its not that greater performace hit and as frostys said 3dmark is more gpu independant;)
Just enjoy your games and have fun if you tried to chase half the people in here you would be broke and have 5 graphics cards numerous chipsets and loads of chips:D

Having said that 3dmark03 isnt very cpu depended for its scores doesnt mean that games arent. 3dmark2003 is very inacurate when it comes to actually representing games via changing hardware other than video cards.

I dont know how much slower pentium stuff runs when not synced with the ram, i know for AMD its a lot worse so it might be worth investing some money in faster ram if you GAMES are slow, i'd ignore 3dmark2003 its only use i've found is stressing video cards when overclocking them, it causes loads of artifacts way before anythign else does.

well i have absolutely no problems on any games i run 4x FSAA and 8X anistrophic enabled. at 1027x768 res. unreal tournament 2003 runs amazingly. even half-life (CS) runs great with no problems. im very happy with this card :D

I cant believe they are even selling the system like that. That just really annoys me.

what do you find wrong as in (limiting me) from the system besides the ram and a 5400rpm harddrive?

Back