3D Vision 2 worth it?

FM_Fixxxer

Limp Gawd
Hello all.

I've been reading Hard OCP for about 7 years now, I figured it was time to use the forum and ask some opinions on something I'm torn on.

Currently I'm running a decent system, and I've really really wanted to take the jump into 3D Vision. This is my current setup:

Intel i7 930
Asus Rampage II gene
12gb Corsair Dominator
2x 580GTX

I've been told I have more then enough power to run 3D vision, I know I have no issues with any games at max settings at my current 2048x1152 res.

Are there any users that would be willing to take the time to let me know about their experiences and how things run? I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, as for the opinions, would going 3D be a better option then upgrading my current cpu and motherboard, which will of course have to include the ram. I was looking at the i7 3820 and then picking a motherboard along the lines of the performance of my rampage. Would that be a waste as I currently see nothing, including BF3 that drops below 80fps with everything cranked. I'm really learning towards 3D now that Vision 2 is out, and getting great reviews, but I'm worried about the performance I guess.

If anyone has any insight as to the performance hit that comes with 3D gaming I'd love to hear it, do you love it, hate it, regret the buy or are happy as hell you spent the money. All opinions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone.

**I had posted this in the general gaming section, but I think this is the better place for it.

I've been debating 3D as well, I went with a samsung to get Nvidia and AMD support.

I wrote a bit about my initial impressions, I am still not certain and haven't been able to even play BF3 in 3D which was my (main) goal.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1677803

would going 3D be a better option then upgrading my current cpu and motherboard
At this point the gains from going x58 -> x79 are not enough in my opinion, rather overclock your cpu a bit. I have an x58 setup and have debated the same thing but luckily I don't see the gains justifying the upgrade.

x58 970 vs x79 820
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/157?vs=523
The only comparison is at 3.2 GHz OC and going to e.g. the i7 3820 would hardly merit the money dropped.

With 580 in SLI I would definitely give 3D a go. You have to read up on your favorite games as not all are supported by 3D vision, although most/more seem to be.

I have to play some more, but the 3D which I get in BFBC2 is what I had been waiting for and it was pretty sweet. There are things to get used to though and I kept running into a wall when going through a door which has something to do with the settings in the samsung screen (3D vision doesn't allow you to manage depths etc. from what I've gathered, but it may offer a better experience with what it has/does/gives). In the town all the buildings really stand out in 3D.

Borderland was ok, but after seeing BFBC2 I'm not as impressed with it.

I don't think the FPS are affected (much) with 3D vision, but if you use Frame sequential mode, the frame rates are halved for each eye. If you use side by side then the FPS generated are not halved, but the resolution is (don't know if you can choose FS/SBS in 3D vision). So you do need e.g. 100 FPS for a 50 FPS experience.

It's unfortunate not having a place/friend to stop by and see a good comparison of monitors/setups in 3D. These things can only seemingly be solved by laying out the dough and finding out what you bought. :D

I can't wait to get a new video card and try BF3 in 3D. If it's anything like BFBC2 I think it will be amazing. I still have to play BFBC2 more to try determine if 3D is affecting lag or anything more before I can make a final decision on it's playability. Oh yeah, BFBC2 was limited to dx9 but the 3D almost makes up for that drawback.

I hope more people with experience will chip in, we need as much info as we can get regarding 3D and gaming.

If you plan to stay the Nvidia route I'd stick with 3D vision as it is supposedly better supported. You'll have to check your favorite titles though, not all work with any current 3D technology.

I have ran 3dvision 2 on a single monitor on my rickety old GTX470 and the Acer 120hz 27" 3dv vision2 monitor. Its gimmicky and can sometimes give you a headache, but its interesting nonetheless. Certain parts in WoW and wide open areas tend to get a little goofy with ghosting from distant spawns depending on your field of view (Zangarmarsh in particular), it tends to be better in closed areas like caves and dungeons.

Are you going to switch to all 3d all the time? Highly unlikely, especially in PVP situations. But single player can give a new lease on some older games, I'm enjoying 3d Lara Croft boobs currently :D. You can assign hot keys to turn the 3d on or off and dynamically change the depth, or whatever they call it, to adjust on the fly. Is it worth it to build directly for that reason? Probably not. If you have some horsepower and you want to get a new monitor, I see no reason not to spend a few extra bucks to get one bundled with the glasses and give it a whirl. Its a fun distraction, but its not tits when it comes to gaming (unless you like 3d jubblies with Tomb Raider, hehe)

Me myself think I may pick up 2 more of these puppers: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-HN274H-B...MEJU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1331301963&sr=8-9

When they come down in price a bit more...and I pick up a few Keplers....

/edit and just to add, WoW maxed I was peaking 120 FPS with everything maxed with the setup in my sig in 2d mode, in 3d I think I dropped to roughly 70-80 fps with same settings

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd love to do a longer write up, but the TL;DR version. It's great and its not. IMO the 3D vision tech in terms of the quality of picture from the monitors and glasses is good enough with the lightboost tech to be worthy of more than people who actively desire 3D. That being said milage will vary. You probably won't want to do competitive gaming in 3D, as your eyes will focus on only part of the scene. Single player can be fantastic and very immersive, but things can really vary game by game in terms of how well 3D is supported. Some games are straight up broken with shadows in 2D, other games have minor annoyances like HUD elements or water reflections not rendering correctly. Sadly, the games that 100% hit the mark are pretty limited right now, but thankfully they seem to be some pretty good games. Playing the Batman games, Skyrim, Trine 1/2, and Civilization V have been worth it alone for me. I'm not really a fan of 3D movies, but I'm pretty sold on 3D gaming being added value when its done well. If you do something like Trine 2 in 3D you will see how magical things can be when a developer puts a little effort into it. Look at the list of supported games on the nvidia site and watch the 3DVision forum on the nvidia site to get a sense of where things are for the games you enjoy.

120hz is pretty great for situations where I don't use the 3D (FPS, DOTA2, etc).

I'm happy with my purchase, but the tech isn't for everyone.

I just recently upgraded my monitor to a Samsung S27A750D, and 3D with battlefield 3 is alright. I have to agree it can give you headaches, but it's pretty cool. I have a 560ti and it does the job well, so as for your current card, its more than enough. I expected things flying at me, but no :/ lol.

I just recently upgraded my monitor to a Samsung S27A750D, and 3D with battlefield 3 is alright. I have to agree it can give you headaches, but it's pretty cool. I have a 560ti and it does the job well, so as for your current card, its more than enough. I expected things flying at me, but no :/ lol.

How did you get it to work? I can't get 3D to work, possibly due to origin starting it from the browser?

How did you get it to work? I can't get 3D to work, possibly due to origin starting it from the browser?

3d can be tricky to get working, make sure in your basic Windows display control panel the monitor is accurately identified and not picked up as 'generic Plug and Play'. At least for nVidia, the nVidia control panel can recognize the monitor correctly but Windows needs to as well or you're peeing up a rope.

3d can be tricky to get working, make sure in your basic Windows display control panel the monitor is accurately identified and not picked up as 'generic Plug and Play'. At least for nVidia, the nVidia control panel can recognize the monitor correctly but Windows needs to as well or you're peeing up a rope.

I have the S27A950 which uses tridef, and I am currently using an nvidia card with it. The nvidia control panel shows the display as the s27a950 properly, but I think this is something to do with tridef and origin.exe and battlefield.exe. Somehow the whole process has to be ran with tridef to get it up and running. Anyways, I got steam games to work by dragging the steam game icon from the desktop into the tridef 3D launcher. They didn't work if even with the tridef's attempt to locate and add games, but I had to manually drag them into the launcher. Origin/BF3 is another story, I still haven't figured out how to do it.

I'm curious how Dejahboi got it working as I have the same setup. I don't have 3dvision...

The only decent 3d display I have seen is the Sony HMZ and hopefully the ST1080. The price between a 27" 3d display and an HMD is similar, too. They might be something to check out if you really want to get into 3D gaming.

3D was nice but the glasses weren't comfortable for me but I wear regular glasses. So it was glasses within glasses. Even with the bigger nose piece still didn't feel nice.

Back