• I don't have 3D TV but WANT one

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • I don't have 3D TV and DO NOT want one

Votes: 26 35.6%

• Total voters

almalino

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

I'm wondering is 3D feature in modern TVs worth the money. Hence the poll.
It would be nice if you also give some of your experience regarding 3D feature.

Thank you!
Alexei

I have two 3d tvs, but I sold the 3d bundle that came with one.

On the other, I watch 3d bluray movies when they come out. I don't game in 3d cause my older pc is hooked up to the tv, too low fps for my liking in 3d. Don't play ps3 games in 3d either cause they lower the res/detail in order to handle 3d and it looks like shit.

I didn't buy the tvs for 3d, but it seems all high end series tvs have it built in anyway so not much choice.

3D would be better if it was a standard, where every TV and every pair of glasses works together. But each maker does their own thing, and usually the glasses cost way too much.

I would never buy a 3D TV just for the 3D part. If the price is good and all the other features are good, sure I'd buy it, but not just for the 3D. It is kinda cool, but there's only a limited amount of 3D content out there, and for general TV watching I think it would be a bit much, even if they did have 3D channels.

Though not to many people voted yet, it seems 3D is not very popular yet. I had a chance to check 3D TV in a shop today. It was fun for the first 5 minutes. Then I get a bit of headache.

Also I noticed that movies benefits most of 3D. Games were looking meh and framerates were terrible. Is it a correct observation?

So far 60% of voted people do not see any need in 3D and 19% are using 3D. Interesting.

I wear glasses and 3d just hurts my eyes and gives me a headache. Not to mention I look stupid wearing two pairs of glasses.

gimmicky, HD picture quality lost. i guess it's cool to have as a novelty but when you really want to enjoy a 1080p movie you'll turn it off.

I have a Sony that I purchased specificially for the 240hz refresh. It happened to be 3D-ready but have never used it because I have little interest in purchasing the 3D transmitter and at least 2 pairs of expensive glasses. Maybe i'll try it down the line if I have enough spare cash.

Hardforum members hate 3D. Probably because most can't afford it or have never seen it. If they had, they realize it's awesome for games and great for some movies.

Hardforum members hate 3D. Probably because most can't afford it or have never seen it. If they had, they realize it's awesome for games and great for some movies.

:) Does seeing 3D in the shop count? I checked a couple of good 3D TVs there and movies looked good, games not so much good. And also active 3D causes a bit of headach. May be that is the reason people do not like it here?

Can't afford it, never seen it. Check and check. After using a 30" monitor for a few years, I finally bought my first HDTV this year, and that was quite an investment (along with AVR and speakers and another HTPC and so on). I'm hoping to get at least 2-3 if not 5 years worth of use out of this before I upgrade. I don't have any 3D content either. So there isn't really a need, in addition to the hassle of upgrading multiple components.

Or they realize it doesn't look that great and that it gives them headaches.

Or they realize it doesn't look that great and that it gives them headaches.

I have a 3DTV and for me when it comes to picture quality movies have the same quality picture in 3D or 2D - the 3D just adds extra immersion. For games - at least for current consoles it seems like they have to turn down the graphical quality because they need to render twice the frames - I still pick 3D over 2D mode though.

Headaches are probably a mixture of TV model, glasses used (you don't have to use the manufacturer glasses, and even among the same manufacturer some glasses work better than others), and then it comes down to some individuals are just more sensitive to it. Some people can't handle peanuts either, doesn't mean they should go around telling everybody else how nasty peanuts are and that nobody else should eat them. ;)

I have a 3DTV and for me when it comes to picture quality movies have the same quality picture in 3D or 2D - the 3D just adds extra immersion. For games - at least for current consoles it seems like they have to turn down the graphical quality because they need to render twice the frames - I still pick 3D over 2D mode though.

Headaches are probably a mixture of TV model, glasses used (you don't have to use the manufacturer glasses, and even among the same manufacturer some glasses work better than others), and then it comes down to some individuals are just more sensitive to it. Some people can't handle peanuts either, doesn't mean they should go around telling everybody else how nasty peanuts are and that nobody else should eat them. ;)

Sure, but voting results still show that either 3D is badly implemented now or there is just not enough good content.

I think it is totally stupid in its current form. I think it would be cool for games. I think it's stupid for movies. It is totally unrealistic in that everything is in focus, and things being out of focus is part of dimensionality in real life. Even if stuff was focused or not, you have no way to focus on what you want. It may never be possible to do this and not affect what the other people see. In real life, things just don't pop out at you. 3D in real life doesn't seem life like because it's just every day, so when they do it in technology, it's just overdone and forced. Higher framerates is what we should be after currently.

I have one a Samsung 8000 series Plasma. I Love it!. Great TV. Espec. For the Price!.

3d tv are good but thing is who is producing 3d content we don't need tv's to process the content that is made for 2d

:) Does seeing 3D in the shop count? I checked a couple of good 3D TVs there and movies looked good, games not so much good. And also active 3D causes a bit of headach. May be that is the reason people do not like it here?
No, doesn't count, unless you were in a proper TV shop with dark rooms.

I found in Best Buy it hurt my eyes badly after less than a minute. Felt as though I was staring at a 60Hz crt. This was on LED tv's.

At home, with a dark room and a 3d plasma tv, it does not strain my eyes whatsoever and no headaches.

3D content and effects can also vary greatly from the ~10 3d movies I've watched. Some of the movies I've seen in 3D had a couple effects here and there, and left me feeling like they probably just added in the 3D so they could rape the box office a little more.

Alice in Wonderland and Tron Legacy in 3D however were spectacular. I still haven't got around to watching Avatar in 3D at home yet.

Back