3d surround projectors

zechs3

Limp Gawd
Gentlemen,
I come here to today, to spark a discussion.

I want to do.... this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wMBS_bfkFk&feature=related

3d surround projectors. I was thinking about getting the gtx590, and 3x Acer H5360.
It'd be going into the rig in my sig.

Now any recommendations or changes I should consider. Or even if I should consider choosing something else to blow my hard earned cash on? I am content spending 2-3k$ on this.

P.S. Is it possible to play a blu ray across all three screens.

No bites?

I would figure if anyone owned this setup, it'd be someone from [H]

o welp, I guess I'll take this thread to another forum, where the nerds are even smarter!

*waits :D*

Noob, you posted at midnight and not everyone stays up all night to offer advice.
Its a nice setup, buy it and help the economy. I would still suggest 2 cards in SLI but there is enough power in that cards to push 3 projectors. I can do bluray and do it in 3D.
I dont care for flicker and wanted to do the IZ3D route with 2 crossfired ATI cards and 6 projectors, but the cost is astromonical.

Although I don't have any 3d blu rays of an aspect ratio wider than 16x9, when I play video full screen on my 3d surround setup it will stretch onto the other displays when it needs to. I believe 3d would be the same way. My biggest complaint about the 3d projectors right now is that they're limited to 720p :(

I posted at 10:15am Eastern time, where do you live that it was midnight.

At any rate does anyone have experience with the IZ3D drivers?

I may get one projector just to dabble.

I was thinking about a similar setup but I gave up the idea for one main reason.

When lamp replacement time comes you will be looking at $600+ after 2 years of usage. and all that to play at 720p resolution (which is too low for me).

I mean if money isnt a issue, go ahead it will be impressive no doubt.

But I will be waiting until 1600p or even possibly 4k2k (if that ever happens) is "affordable" in projectors to get one for my gaming setup.

Edit: To push that further, 720p is fine when you are playing it on a 14" screen .. and maybe even a 24" screen .. but when you shoot that on a screen that is 6 feet tall, the pixels are going to be so obvious it will really affect your experience. I have a 1080p projector at home and project it on a 92" screen and it's almost too big. I certainly would not dare to go down to 720p.

running a 590 with a single Viewsonic PDJ6531w and an Acer GD235HZ. Projector gets video from Onkyo HT-S5300 7.1 1200w setup's HDMI output. Projector uses Elite Screens 100" manual pulldown.

Device chain:

GTX590 DVI (audio enabled) > DVI to HDMI cable > Onkyo HT-S5300 > projector
GTX590 DVI > DVI to DVI > Acer GD235HZ

unfortunately, my second room (computer room) isn't big enough to have 3 projectors going in it, so I can't really say, regarding your specific scenario. I do know that if you were to watch a Blu-Ray or DVD though, they would use whatever amount of the total display area needed in order to maintain the original aspect ratio of the film being shown.

Been thinking about projectors myself but I really don't have a good place for them. As for 3D BD across three screens I've not seen anyway to drive that.

3D isn't very popular in this forum, I'm a big fan but most people around here are very down on it.

Thanks for all the replies. Food for thought.

I would think with such a massive screen you'd sit a good distance back, so PQ shouldn't be too distracting.

I wonder now however, how difficult it'd be to aim at distant enemies with ADS. Can anyone add personal experience?

Also does the experience feel tunnel visioned due to visible area?

Don't get the GTX 590, it's not the most reliable card to get. Get another SLi setup, even dual GTX 570's may not be a bad idea as your running 3x 1280x720 and at those modest settings even the vram on those gpu's will suffice.

I've never noticed it, or had an issue, but since I've read up on it.
I'm going to try and steer clear of crossfire sli, due to microstutter

With 3 720P projections I don't know why you would need SLI. A single card would be fine.

not for 3D 1280x720 is 921600 pixels *3 is 2764800 (just above 1920x1200) with 3D it is drawing everything twice and is capped to 60fps, so in reality it is pushing 5529600 pixels. An extra 1433600 over 2560x1600. He would either need a gtx580 (3gb) or atleast 2 Gtx570's

Yeah, I definitely want to future proof, so I am thinking either 3gb 580 (with the ability to expand to a 2nd in sli) or the 590 which seems out of stock and over priced atm. Sli and 3d seem to behave strangely as far as scalability. So I might want to wait for a few driver releases and see how things go.

if nothing better, i'd personally recommend either gtx570 sli or 6950s unlocked in crossfire. With a nod for the 6950's for being cheaper and offering the same performance.

590 is 2x 570's so I'd recommend not going that route (a lot of people have had them blow up/toast using default settings and nvidia has apparently downclocked them via drivers to stop it further reducing performance)

Back