3D Realms Still Releasing DNF Screenshots

I don't think I have to quote it for anyone to know what I'm talking about.... Steve, that was your best one liner ever. I'd print it out and frame it if I were you :D

DNF will become a legend...sorta like Big Foot, UFOs and "Who shoot JFK?".
I'd love to see DNF released on a modern engine, but unfortunately I think RangerXML probably has it right. I think Serious Sam is the most modern equivalent of Duke Nukem we may ever see (for the record I've played all the Serious Sam games & thought they were a blast). I've wondered why 3DR didn't license the latest Serious Engine. I think it'd be fitting since they're "birds of a feather" so to speak.

Another thought is that 3DR should just release whatever playable beta they can patch together as freeware & let us have at it, or maybe if 3DR were to release it as an open source collaberation with them having the final decisions on what makes the cut (providing they're capable of making those decisions in a timely manner) it might just get finished. Sure it'd most likely have to be freeware, but I bet it'd be cross platform & that in itself would be noteworthy.

Just a few ideas that popped into my head that may not even be feasible, but it's nice to dream.

Does anyone else find it ironic that Duke Nukem Forever shares the same initials as the motorsports term Did Not Finish? It's definitely deserving of a DNF.

Even if DNF was based off of something that has the equivalent graphics capability of the Q3 engine, I'd be satisfied.

Agreed. Quake 3 and Medal of Honor Allied Assault still look great and are still fun to play. Every Q3 engine game can do custom resolutions and every game with the q3 engine supports custom widescreen resolutions nicely.

who cares about the graphics, The Duke Series is still awesome to play....I just wish this game can be finish so we can finaly play it. Ridiculous. Duke is an awesome character, like the stripper part ;)

Duke is only an awesome character if you like characters who are ripped off of several others (including direct quotes being stolen) and then you drink until you beat your wife because you wasted your childhood thinking of how awesome a character Duke Nukem is. :O Just kidding
:rolleyes:

No, but the real reason we liked Duke was because it was a pretty good game with nice heavily scripted level designs (especially at the time, when no other game really had city style fragging) and a few inventive guns. It wasn't deep it was just identifiable by every teen or twenty something male who liked boobies, one liners and violence.

I guess I kind of grew up and realized that it's not that funny or good anymore.

So?
It will keep with the nostalgic DN theme if that is the case.

Gameplay was always the point of Duke Nukem, not graphics. Quake came out only a few months later and was much more technologically advanced, but Duke arguably had the more fun (and not arguably funnier) single player game. Until QuakeWorld DM was out I was a much bigger fan of Duke and all the world interactivity it had. Details like the working pool table, demolishing the building, earthquakes that could change the landscape, (strippers!), on and on, there had literally been nothing like it when it came out.

Back on topic, lord, let it go, drag DNF behind the shed and put it out of its frigging misery :mad:

Those probably aren't screenshots of the game; rather they are the game. That is to say that those stills and other media are all that 3D Realms managed to finish.

I'd love to see DNF released on a modern engine, but unfortunately I think RangerXML probably has it right. I think Serious Sam is the most modern equivalent of Duke Nukem we may ever see (for the record I've played all the Serious Sam games & thought they were a blast). I've wondered why 3DR didn't license the latest Serious Engine. I think it'd be fitting since they're "birds of a feather" so to speak.

Huh, I always thought of Serious Sam as a bright and colorful Doom. Duke Nukem wasn't racing through huge swarms like Doom 1 and 2 were, it was about fighting a fewer number of stronger alien baddies in modern and sci-fi environments. The main guy in Serious Sam kind of looked like Duke but the gameplay was really different.

But I agree on Serious Sam being great, the first one in particular was pure awesome. I can't think of much more fun than playing that game with four players on a LAN on the hardest difficulty with infinite lives.

So. Fun.

Huh, I always thought of Serious Sam as a bright and colorful Doom. Duke Nukem wasn't racing through huge swarms like Doom 1 and 2 were, it was about fighting a fewer number of stronger alien baddies in modern and sci-fi environments. The main guy in Serious Sam kind of looked like Duke but the gameplay was really different.

But I agree on Serious Sam being great, the first one in particular was pure awesome. I can't think of much more fun than playing that game with four players on a LAN on the hardest difficulty with infinite lives.

So. Fun.
I was thinking about the one liners, (it always seemed to me that Sam's personality was based on Duke) & general fun gameplay, though Sam's environments/mobs are often part of the humor, but you do have a point, I guess SS is more of a cross section of DN & Doom. I hadn't really thought about the few vs many mobs, but yeah, SS's swarm counts do tend to get pretty insane.

LOL, Graphic quality is already getting behind.
Even if they ever do release this, the technology in it will be so old, it'd be equivalent to playing Duck Hunt today.

i dont see how the graphic quality is "Getting behind".. The new screens look amazing. Plus a great storyline > graphics any day.

I hadn't really thought about the few vs many mobs, but yeah, SS's swarm counts do tend to get pretty insane.

SS's mobs are the best! I'd love it if they released the original Serious Sam on Steam. I'm pretty happy that its coming out for the 360 on Live Arcade. Yeah its a shooter on a console but whatever, easy four player mode will make for insane co-op multiplayer with no effort. :) :) :)

i dont see how the graphic quality is "Getting behind".. The new screens look amazing. Plus a great storyline > graphics any day.

And interactive environments! Its crazy, but there still isn't a shooter that pushed the amount of environment interactivity that Duke Nukem 3D did, and its been thirteen years since that game came out. That was one of the big things I was looking forward to with DNF.

And interactive environments! Its crazy, but there still isn't a shooter that pushed the amount of environment interactivity that Duke Nukem 3D did, and its been thirteen years since that game came out. That was one of the big things I was looking forward to with DNF.

I agree.. DN3D was the reason why I got my first "gaming" computer.. (100mhz, 16mb RAM, 4gb HDD). I remember reading the articles in a gaming magazine over and over bout DN3D. I played it over and over. I think Quake looked better, but DN had a better storyline and the gameplay was just amazing. With the enviroment I agree.. no other game has really pushed interactivity like DN did. SiN tried, but failed miserably.

Well, I've yet to see a UE3 game that doesn't look like a billion shades of grey with a thin coat of slime on everything so that could be what he means. I do agree about story though. Imagine Final Fantasy on a properly coded CryEngine.

Back