3d Printer Purchase Help?

Lalau2

Weaksauce
Hello I am about to purchase my first 3d printer. After looking at tons of reviews on 3d printers, I settled on the Luzbot Mini. I have looked at the new MK3 and it looks really sweet. My question is which one do you think is the better printer? I plan on using various filaments and printing all kind of prints. I will order the mini areostruder to print soft filaments on the Luzbot. Will I need to do same and have to change out the extruder , nozzle for the MK3? If so what do you suggest I order with the MK3? I will purchase the printer at the end of March so the backlog on getting the MK3 doesn't bother me. Thank in advance!

Both are great printers, so the biggest question I'd ask myself? What do you plan on printing? The Mini is a 152x152x158mm vs the Prusa's 250x210x210mm.

I have a Lulzbot TAZ6 and a Prusa MK3. While I love my workhorse TAZ and its massive build volume, the Prusa's fit and finish plus ease of use is a grand slam in my opinion. Since you mentioned various filament choices, the MK3's Bondtech extruder seems perfect for TPU/Flexibles. I am kinda excited to try the new aerostruders that Lulzbot announced at CES this year so I may end up picking up the new tool head.

As far as swapping nozzles, I know the TAZ comes with a .5 nozzle, whereas the Prusa comes with a .4 which makes a difference when it comes to detailed parts and dealing with thin walls / parameters. You can, however, swap nozzles on either platform without need to swap the tool head, so that shouldn't be a problem. You will need to make adjustments in your slicer to reflect the nozzle change.

Thanks for the advice MrE. Even though I really like the Mk3 and the upgradability some the problems that have been reading about in the forums makes leary on purchasing it now.
If I they are able to get most of the kinks out of th Mk3 by the time I purchase my printer, I will purchase the Mk3.
If there are still major issues going on with the Mk3, I will definitely buy the tried the true Lulzbot Mini.
I plan on printing from bed casters to drones etc . Nothing really large. I plan on swapping out the nozzle with a harden stainless steel one. Don't plan on running carbon but will run some abrasive filament like glow in the dark , gold and bronze.

Rule of thumb -- buy the biggest printer you can afford.

152mmx152mmx158mm may seem plenty big right now, but you will eventually wish you got a bigger printer. You mentioned printing drone parts and bed casters? Unless all you want to print are micro drones, you are going to run out of room. It isn't that you will need all of that real estate all the time, but that ONE time you need that space, you will be glad you had it. Plus, having all of that space allows you to print multiple objects in one print job instead of spacing out a project across several days of single part prints.

If you want to print flexible materials, avoid any printer with a bowden setup. Bowden setups always have more problems than direct drive. I switched from a bowden and would never look back. I love my direct drive setup.

Back