3D monitor or not? That is the question.

guppy

Limp Gawd
Anyone here have one of these 3D monitors and have any input for me? Pros and cons etc. I would like to get one but not if it is going to cause me grief. One downside is that I have 2 monitors hooked up right now and this monitor requires both of the video card ports so I would lose use of the second monitor.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=36149&vpn=094922750723&manufacture=iZ3D, Inc

iZ3D 22IN Stereoscopic 3D Widescreen LCD Monitor Black 1680X1050 5ms 700:1 Dual DVI-D Input

As great as 3D is, I don't think I would buy the iZ3D as a single 2D/3D solution. I vaguely recall the backlight being too bright in 2d mode and maybe some other constraints on being able to adjust the monitor...

(A while since I looked at it though..)

Yes, I am interested in Nvidia 3D vision but that is exactly the same as what I had before with Asus 3D glasses on a CRT years ago except the glasses are now wireless.I would have to buy 120hz LCD ($450.00 CAD) and Nvidia 3D glasses ($250.00 CAD). That's way more costly than the iZ3D solution and way more than the Asus glasses I had that came with my Asus GF2. Because it uses the exact same method as the Asus I expect it has the exact same issues too. Tiring on the eyes and has ghosting issues with any 2D elements on the screen so trying to read any text is pretty much impossible in the game. I know iZ3D has some ghosting issues too but thye say it is the glasses causing it and are currently trying to develop better glasses that eliminate or reduce the issue.

Oh yea, I have 4870 so would have to get rid of that and buy a fast Nvidia card too. iZ3D works with both ATI and Nvidia so you are not tied to one manufacturer.

Here is Nvidia 3D Vision.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=36080&vpn=NVD-942107010003000&manufacture=NVIDIA

Well I hate the iZ3D's way of implementing it. I much much much prefer Nvidia's way because of the true 120Hz is VERY nice and it works much better.

Well I hate the iZ3D's way of implementing it. I much much much prefer Nvidia's way because of the true 120Hz is VERY nice and it works much better.

Yes, having 120hz LCD would be nice but the cost is more than I am willing to spend just to have 3D. Here's what it would cost me.

NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Stereoscopic Glasses & Samsung 2233RZ 120HZ LCD Monitor Bundle = $679.99 CAD

EVGA GeForce GTX 275 633MHZ 896MB 2.26GHZ DDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card $279.99 CAD

total = $959.98 before taxes

That's almost double the price the iZ3D would cost me.

Can Nvidia do 3D movies? Apparently the iZ3D has software so you make any movie 3D. They have software to display photos in 3D too. Plus you get 2 pairs of glasses and 1 pair of clip-ons.

The quality isnt first class for any method yet, it depends how low you are prepared to go.
The 120Hz monitors are the best quality and arent bad.
NVidias solutions are very configurable to suit your eyes.

I've played with psuedo 3D for non 3D movies and its a nice gimmick but thats all.
The software scans frames ahead to see what is moving (foreground) and what isnt (background).
It doesnt always get it right and all objects are flat, there is no 3D within a foreground object.
When there is no movement, everything becomes background.

You may want to try the anaglyph method first to see how well the games you play support 3D. I tried Half-Life 2 ep2 with my drivers set to anaglyph mode, and water wasn't rendered correctly, at any quality setting. (the NVidia drivers recently added this, it may not be on ATI cards)

iZ3D has anaglyph driver you can download. iZ3D is something like anaglyph method and Nvidia method is like opening/closing eyes very fast (60 times per second).

I think I need to think this through some more and wait and see how the new iZ3D glasses improve things before plonking down any money. Thanks all.

My advice would be to test it first. From what I have heard the nVidia 3D solution is pretty good, not tiring on the eyes and providing a convincing experience (2D sprites/UIs aside). I have absolutely no idea about this iZ3D.

Yes, testing first would be ideal but I know of no local stores that sell this hardware so no way to test. All I have to go on are opinions and my own research. And my own experience with Asus 3D glasses from about 7 years ago. That's the same method as Nvidia uses and only improvements I can foresee would be purely down to driver quality. The price of the iZ3D is far more attractive to me so doubt I would go the Nvidia route.

I've never used nvidias shutter glasses, nor have I used one of iz3d's monitors but if I had to guess I'd say that the iz3d solution would give a better experience due to using polarized glasses/screen.

with that said, I'm not sure how much longer they'll (iz3d) be around in this economy so.... not to mention it kills any potential for running dual monitors unless you go sli or something. The prices on refurb iz3d monitors are pretty decent though

Shutter glasses should give a better quality picture.

In the case of the iZ3D, it is practically free to get more polarized glasses for additional viewers. I think this is the only reason most modern movie theaters use polarized glasses instead of shutter glasses.
Movie theaters use circular polarized glasses, so you can tilt your head to the side and not change the picture. The iZ3D uses linear polarization, so tilting your head will let some light through the wrong lens.

Back