3D Gaming Issue

Maplehamwich

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

I'm having an issue. I'm running an older lap top with the following specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 (2ghz 800mhz fsb, 2mb L2 cache)
512mb (Dedicated) nVidia 9600M GS Turbo Cache
4GB Ram
Running Vista Home Premium

During most computing, I have no issue with system performance. However, when I run games, I consistently (across all games) have the same issue. The game will run fine, and over time it will slowly progress into a slower and slower, slow mo game play. There is no audio disturbance, and the only visual disturbance is the slow motion. Now it is important to note, the game will run fine for the first few minutes of gameplay, perfect some might say, but it eventually deteriorates (10-15minutes).

I've tried all the usual suspects. Play around with game visual settings, clearing start up programs, eliminating any system hog background software, defrag, registry clean up and defrag. I have even tried to turn off laptop hardware (wireless) in order to conserve power (even though I run plugged in) to no avail.

Any ideas what may be causing my slow motion problem? Is it perhaps an over heating issue?

Your GPU could be down-clocking due to heat. Get a temp monitor (with history) and run it in the background to find out.

Your GPU could be down-clocking due to heat. Get a temp monitor (with history) and run it in the background to find out.

I agree. Check your temps. Clean your fan(s) as well. You'd be surprised the buildup of crap they can accumulate in just a few years. Even it's in a "clean" environment.

+1 on temps.

I've seen a lot of laptops toss in a dedicated video card and not modify the cooling system to accommodate the extra heat. It sounds exactly like a problem that could be attributed to heat.

Thanks for the suggestion guys.

It seems as though the system definitely gets warmer during play. I recorded CPU temps around 100 degree celsius and GPU temps around 89 degrees celsius. I'm not sure if that is out of range.

None the less, I have had a look at my laptop and there is very little in the way of vents for heat, and the unit itself gets quite warm (almost hot to touch) around the vents, so I am guessing that is an issue.

Are there any simple mods etc I could do to help cooling efficiency? Preferably without damaging the unit. Obviously the best option is to open it up and make bigger vents, better fans etc.

100C on the CPU? Are you certain? It's most definitely the problem. It's not supposed to get even close to that.

I know laptops run hotter, by my desktop runs at ~34c Idle and ~50c under full load. If it were to get into the 60c range, I would start to consider that I need better cooling. I might be overly cautious, but 100c is way to hot. I'm actually surprised it doesn't just shut down.

Yeah, I ran the test several times and I get the same result. The table surface under the laptop gets hot to the touch. As well as the laptop vents themselves. I suppose that means it's time to get some laptop cooling. I wonder what is out on the market, I've never looked.

Thanks for the suggestion guys.

It seems as though the system definitely gets warmer during play. I recorded CPU temps around 100 degree celsius and GPU temps around 89 degrees celsius. I'm not sure if that is out of range.

None the less, I have had a look at my laptop and there is very little in the way of vents for heat, and the unit itself gets quite warm (almost hot to touch) around the vents, so I am guessing that is an issue.

Are there any simple mods etc I could do to help cooling efficiency? Preferably without damaging the unit. Obviously the best option is to open it up and make bigger vents, better fans etc.

Before you start thinking about mods, have you taken the fans out (if possible) and thoroughly cleaned them. What is the model of the laptop btw? Perhaps someone is here is familiar with it. 100 is way, way hot. Hell, can you hear the fans even spinning?

I've propped the laptop above the table surface to allow for better air flow, and I shot the vents with an air gun to attempt to remove some dust, and it has done very well so far. I'm down about 10 Celsius in both temps for standing and load temperatures. I'll go pick up a laptop cooler (fancy fan) on the weekend. I'm thinking the CoolerMaster Notepal X2. From what I've read it seems like a decent combination of cost and function. I also like the sounds of the 140mm fan for quietness! I have a hard time with noisy setups.

Grimham,
I can hear the fans cycle through two speeds according to need. I'm running an Acer ASPIRE 6930G.

I'm thinking of opening it up on the weekend (pre cooler purchase) to see the cleanliness status. I'm a little hesitant because this is the first laptop I've owned. I had two desktop rigs before it, that I built up myself, so I'm fairly comfortable with the idea, but the form factor has me worried I'm going to accidentally rip a cable or something somewhere.

Thanks again.

Are you using the Nvidia vision 3D? I've heard a lot of people have trouble with heat issues and laptops when using that.

I don't believe I am. I picked up a ThermalTake Massive 23lx laptop cooler and it seems to be lowering my temps by another 5-10 degrees.

Back