3D, enlightment and thoughts (nvidia/amd)

wand3r3r

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 17, 2011
Messages
422
I am very curious about 3D having been in the electronics store lately and seeing the 50" 3D tv's playing some cartoon blu-rays.

A. They actually look pretty impressive, most likely due to the cartoonish colors and distinct objects which easily can be put on different planes.

B. However, when I checked out another store, they had some more real-life footage. The video of .e.g. an airplane nose as it flew directly toward the user was amazing, but then when they had like real buildings shot on the news and stuff, there was no real depth to it.

I am very interested in 3D now and would love to play BF3 if it were more like the 1st experience. However, I suspect it may not be as distinct considering everythings like a green/brown color without as much distinction between everything.

Then I got around to googling a bunch. It appears there isn't a perfect solution, and you either fiddle around with some manufacturers software to convert to 3D, or there's nvidia 3D. I still have an Nvidia card, but that *may* change and soon.

Monitors of interest. (seem to work with both AMD and Nvidia)

1. I was pretty interested in a passive 3D LG D2342-PN, as it was the cheapest entry into the 3D world. ($ 2XX / euros)
Pros:
It would be great as you only need to maintain 60 FPS, vs. 120 FPS for 120Hz monitors, but then the response time is a quite pathetic 5ms.
Cons:
The glasses are cheap, and without flickering. Then there is also the fact the 3D works with polarization so the pixels are actually only 1920x540 for each eye.
Negative reviews
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWZLzvYED7E&feature=related
http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/lg-flatron-d2342-p11721/test.html
This looked decent as far as ghosting.
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=13125&start=15

2. Then I've been reading about the Samsung S23A750 but it's quite expensive. (~$ 4XX / euros)
This looks like a pretty decent screen.
Pros:
Fast, 120Hz / 2ms.
Cons:
Price (almost double the LG)
Doesn't support Nvidia 3D vision so you need other software.
Needs DisplayPort (my current 560 ti doesn't have it, but I am likely going 7970 soon)

I am also wondering if you can watch normal videos/shows etc. that you either stream or have on your PC. Can you watch e.g. .avi / .mpg videos in 3D that are just normal videos? Some screens seem to come with 2D - 3D software, so does it work for normal videos, and if it does, do they look good? Or are you pretty much limited to getting a blu-ray player and buying 3D versions?

It's a pretty bad situation as I have to make a choice, if I might get a HD 7970 then I can't get a Nvidia 3d vision screen, but there are many tradeoffs. I wish I could just try a screen out somewhere but nothing local has any in stock (only tv's). I don't want to tie myself to nvidia. However, the samsung s23a750 requires displayport which I don't have. I currently have a 7970 backordered and it still doesn't have a delivery date and I'm in no hurry to get it anyway as I want to see what happens now that gtx 670 is rumored to come in March. I was hoping to go 3D in the meantime...

So can you watch dvds, mpg/.avi/ streaming videos (e.g. from places like youtube but not necessarily youtube) in 3D? Do they look good if so? How is BF3 in 3D? Does it add much to the game? Is anyone in a similar situation, what have you done about it?

Just to be clear, I'm more interested in playing in 3D then 2D 120 Hz mode. Of course if the 3D sucks I would play in 2D 120Hz, but I don't even want to get a 3D screen if that's the case.
 
Last edited:
while at ces, i tried some 3d monitors and displays.


i would say nvidia 3d is far better because it uses active shutter. the passive types have more ghosting and picture tend to be more fuzzy.

I was planning to get an 3d monitor but my current card is an ati. When ivy bridge comes out I might build a whole new computer with a nvidia gfx card just because ati isn't focusing much on 3d display market.
 
while at ces, i tried some 3d monitors and displays.


i would say nvidia 3d is far better because it uses active shutter. the passive types have more ghosting and picture tend to be more fuzzy.

I was planning to get an 3d monitor but my current card is an ati. When ivy bridge comes out I might build a whole new computer with a nvidia gfx card just because ati isn't focusing much on 3d display market.

Hmm, so I would imagine that was recently and they had the latest displays? Did you by chance see the samsung s23a750 / s27a750? (Not passive I guess, but AMD 3d)
 
I don't think I saw those. However if it is active, it should look better. Nvidia booth with their 3d displays were all very sharp compared to the passives displays I saw. So active should be better for gaming even though it cost more.


Sony is only going to make active 3d displays because they also said passive is just not as good.
 
Oh one thing though, thx did a projector that used active shuttering and they passed out glasses to use for the demo. However the one I got was some generic brand one and that was a bit painful to my eye because I could see the shutter going on and off. It might have been low on battery or not sync right. However active shuttler was still much more clear.
 
If you want to do 3D, your best bet is to stick with Nvidia. You can also use AMD for certain types of monitors (like those Samsung) but generally there is a lot better support for Nvidia.

A good place to start is this ASUS monitor, which is what I currently use and am happy with:
http://www.amazon.com/VG236H-23-Inch-Monitor-nVidia-Vision/dp/B003V4AK2K
$420 is the full kit including the glasses. You can find other options around this price range.

If you really want to go AMD, then you can do it but there are less options (though some are cheaper). Most of the passive (FPR) monitors will work with AMD. Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-V3D231-Viewsonic-23-Inch-Monitor/dp/B005LFQVUC

There are also other options, like projectors and HMDs that will work with AMD but it seems you want a monitor. Hope that helps.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you want to do 3D, your best bet is to stick with Nvidia. You can also use AMD for certain types of monitors (like those Samsung) but generally there is a lot better support for Nvidia.

A good place to start is this ASUS monitor, which is what I currently use and am happy with:
http://www.amazon.com/VG236H-23-Inch-Monitor-nVidia-Vision/dp/B003V4AK2K
$420 is the full kit including the glasses. You can find other options around this price range.

If you really want to go AMD, then you can do it but there are less options (though some are cheaper). Most of the passive (FPR) monitors will work with AMD. Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-V3D231-Viewsonic-23-Inch-Monitor/dp/B005LFQVUC

There are also other options, like projectors and HMDs that will work with AMD but it seems you want a monitor. Hope that helps.

I'm seriously considering giving 3d a whirl that monitor is deff on my radar. I'm coming from a PVA panel so my question is how is the color shift and view angle on this panel?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Can you watch dvds, mpg/.avi/ streaming videos (e.g. from places like youtube but not necessarily youtube) in 3D?
Do they look good if so?

How is BF3 in 3D? Does it add much to the game?

Has anyone played borderlands in 3D? Is it amazing?
 
Can you take full advantage of a 3D display like a Panasonic plasma (with glasses) using it with a PC ? Does that work better with Nvidia ?
 
I think I'm about to pull the trigger on the samsung s23a750d. I'll have to use HDMI or DVI until I get a HD 7970 or 7950.

All the views and no-one knows if you can watch old dvds, .avi's, .mpg's in 3D?

Does anyone have any comments about BF3/Borderlands in 3D?
 
s23a750d vs. s23a700d

The main difference is that the 700 has a DVI while the 750 with Displayport.

Will these work with both Nvidia and AMD? (the 750 will work with AMD from what I've gathered, and is officially listed as supported. The 700 has no info, but the DVI port would work with my current nvidia card)

I will probably upgrade to a HD 79xx so I am hoping these will both work with both Nvidia and AMD.

I don't see a reason to pay the premium for 750?

According to a random dude the 950 "supports" nvidia and amd. He doesn't appear to know more then he read off a box or something though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C25bb66AZi4

The 750 says it uses tridef software.
http://www.tridef.com/product-support/faqs
Tridef says it works on both nvidia and amd but
Some 3D displays require AMD HD3D Technology and therefore cannot be used with NVIDIA graphics cards.
 
Last edited:
I ended up biting the bullet and have a s27a950 on the way due to the dvi/displayport and my possible switch from a gtx 560 to a hd 79xx.

Maybe I'll try answer my own questions if there is interest someday.
 
I think you'll be happy with the Samsung that you purchased. I've used 3D displays on both sides, NVIDIA and AMD, and they both work very similarly in games.

The TriDef software included with the Samsung display works well. I haven't seen any huge difference in quality compared to 3D Vision. 3D definitely adds to the gaming experience, though after the initial "wow factor" I've found that it isn't something I use all the time. 2D @ 120hz is why I enjoy the 3D displays the most.

The Samsung glasses are lighter than the NVIDIA versions and they're more comfortable for me (I wear prescription glasses). The only downside is they use a non-rechargeable battery, but the batteries aren't terribly expensive and the glasses themselves are rated to last about 70 hours.

You can watch 3D videos on YouTube. I have an S27A750 - it has a button on the base for quickly setting different 3D options. Most YouTube videos are in side-by-side format, so you just switch the display over to that, make the video full screen and enjoy. I would imagine that the 950 has similar 3D options.
 
Can you take full advantage of a 3D display like a Panasonic plasma (with glasses) using it with a PC ? Does that work better with Nvidia ?

It'd likely be 30fps capped.
 
Hi. I'd like to know is the flickering visible in the active glasses in the samsung s23a750 ? It would be connected to the radeon 6950 or so, through the displayport, so there will be no limitation in res, like it is through hdmi 1.4a in amd hd3d. Thanks.
 
FPS games and 3D, looks neat, but most seem to comment on it as being too much of a distraction, especially in multiplayer.
 
but is the flickering noticeable watching through the glasses? or it's not? just like you would watch through passive glasses?
 
Back
Top