3D and Curved Screen TVs Fade Away

3D still has a place. Avatar and Guardians of the Galaxy come to mind. With a projector set for 3D and sync glasses it is still the best viewing experience. Yes it takes a little effort. Oh wait lets not put any effort into anything.
Forgot the Hobbit.

3D wasn't something I had to have. It was a feature that was built into my last projector. I bought some cheap 3D glasses with it. There's a few movies that I like in 3D. However, I'll watch it in 2D most of the time. It's cool in 3D, it's just not a necessity. The film isn't a 3D movie. It's a movie that has a 3D component.

Hobbit - great in 3D. I still need to pick up Battle of the 5 armies extended in 3D. It is the little things that make it for me, too. Seeing a bird or bug coming towards the screen... It's cool. I feel the same way with games - it's the little things that make up the atmosphere. I like 3D, but it's not something I'm going to demand in my next purchase. If it has it, great. If not, no problem.

Which is a shame because 4k 3D would solve the majority of issues.

Either way, i'd rather take improvements to issues with the core technology first than HDR. But i've been waiting a decade and nothing has happened, so probably not.

We have a 42in 3D TV in the living room. I think we have used the 3D function about 5 times. The kids thought it was cool the first time and honestly I don't care for the 3D at the theater either.

Has anyone used a curved screen as a PC monitor? When I first saw them I thought that might be the only useful application. Perhaps an ultrawide that curved around to fill your periphery.

As a TV I'd agree they are just a gimmick. I checked out a Samsung curved TV at Best Buy and then bought a Sony Bravia. I can't understand why anyone would want a curved TV.

Curved TV's works well as a desktop monitor. The corners of the screen are easier to see when looking at a 40"+ screen.
Mine has been nothing short of awesome. For my living room and bedrooms, all of them are flat. I couldn't live with a curved screen for daily TV viewing.

I do non-color critical professional photo editing, website and graphic work on it.

i wear glasses and the thought of wearing another pair of glasses while watching tv was silly.
i aint no sucka when everyone and their mommas were raving about 3D tv's
a couple years later and no one mentions about 3D

in the same boat with curved tv's
i aint a sucka..........just give till next yr and it'll be gone
UHD beats 4k beats 1080 beats 720 beats 120h beats 60h = i wear glasses so it doesnt make a difference to me

Never understood how you curve a screen without distorting the picture. You either pull the edges closer away from where they were meant to be seen relative to the rest of the image. Or you have scale it which is an aliasing problem.

Never understood how you curve a screen without distorting the picture. You either pull the edges closer away from where they were meant to be seen relative to the rest of the image. Or you have scale it which is an aliasing problem.

If you look at large theaters you will see that the screen is curved slightly to compensate for projector pincushioning. It's a gimmick on TV's unless you are in front of an 85" set at 8' away or something like that.

Back