3com 24port Switch $12.99

musicman_ace

Limp Gawd
$12.99 = 3Com 24 Port SuperStack II Switch 1000 (3C16900A)

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/NET10300.html

10Mbps Ethernet for the 24 'down' ports. The only 100Mbps port is the Uplink.
Refurbed too.
Would be good for a folding farm of gimme-gimme computers.

^^
It wouldn't be bad if you're not doing any real networking. No moving large files between computers. if you're doing a basic lan for computers connected to a cable modem, this is a good buy.

For wiring a house, this is fine. The average user doesn't REQUIRE 100mbs. The actual wire should be Cat5e or even cat 6 for upgrade-ablilty, but I'll get these for installing into the basement of new homes. I didn't figure the overclocking crowd would swarm on this

musicman_ace said:
For wiring a house, this is fine. The average user doesn't REQUIRE 100mbs. The actual wire should be Cat5e or even cat 6 for upgrade-ablilty, but I'll get these for installing into the basement of new homes. I didn't figure the overclocking crowd would swarm on this
Nice, isn't it great when you find parts for the job real cheap? Where do you get your cat-5e cable from? Compgeeks often has killer specials on 1000' spool kits, you just have to keep an eye on their specials page, especially their "Sizzling" sunday night sales.

^^
I actually some of the cable from HomeDepot, where I bought the hardware for the mounting plates a bitover priced, but I didn't feel like running around too much, that day. Another place was the dumpster behind some building _they_ were wiring up. Some more from a friend who obtained it from his company (I didn't ask questions).

I bought four of these for a networking project at my son's elementary school, and received them this week (Thursday).

OK, good news-bad news. Of the four I received, only one was a 24-port switch as advertised. Apparently, SurplusComputer bought these pre-wrapped in bubble wrap. Of the other three switches, two of them were the 12-port models (but I think with 100up/down). One was the ATM switch with the oddball (non-ethernet) plugs. I emailed the company president, with whom I had conversed before and also followed up with the RMA department. I really don't think there were any shenanigans, I just think they were sold a mixed bag of goods.

The following day, they offered to ship me replacements - both in a letter from the company presidnet and ALSO from the RMA department. They just told me to keep everything and not to worry about sending anything back due to shipping costs. I received two separate shipping UPS notices of outbound packages, so I might actually receive quite a few of these switches!!!

The bottom line - I didn't receive what I ordered, but it wasn't far off and probably wasn't their fault. They did respond very quickly with replacements, so kudos to their customer service department. The units I received did look pretty clean and serviceable, though I haven't had a chance to plug anything up yet. Finally, do note that these are rackmount units but can also stand/stack, so you will not be getting a small piece of equipment - these are fairly large.

Dave
[email protected]

Look good for running lans for low-bandwidth operations.

Not much use for me since I store most media on a server in my basement and throw around large files a lot. 100Mbps switched is getting a bit slow these days and I'll probably upgrade to gigabit in the near future.

But yeah if I have a bunch of schools or such to wire up these would be great.

Alternatively, they might make a nice setup for a small lanparty. (1 server and 24 seats.) Most games won't eat up 10mbps of transfer since they just want to throw around small amounts of data with low latency and these switches do have pretty good latency (at most 6-8ms).

We used these switches here at work in the past and we learned that if you can't keep the room cool, they quit working. They simply do not like to operate when the room gets near 80 degrees so make sure you use them in cool areas.

Back