3930k vs 3770k vs 4770k

phaseshift

Limp Gawd
So I can get either a 3930k or a 3770k really cheap, however if I go with the 3930k I have to upgrade my mobo to x79 (currently have a Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z). Another option would be to go with haswell and sell my board and 3570k when it comes out and upgrade to a 4770k.

I'd like to achieve some good overclocks, will be used mostly for gaming and overclock. Light photoshop and video editing.

So if you planing to overclock forget 3770k. Its hot as hell, you need all kind of methods to slow down the insane temps, delid, lap the heat spreader, etc... For sure haswell will be great OC'er.. Bring extremely high posibilities of OC. But still no way to know how that chips will handle the heat.. If you have the chance to get a cheap 3930K do not doubt, just go with it and sell your actual mobo and 3570k. Why?. First, if you wait the arrive of haswell, that will be a instant kill of the prices of your mobo and chip.. So you will receive less money than the price you could receive now (every $ count right? :) ).. Second you said you have to buy a new mobo for 3930K thats apply too for 4770K and the Socket 1150... Third, 4770k even high oc'd will be hard to beat the 3930K more even if are high OC'd.. For sure the 3930K have a larger future in gaming and other taks..

If i were you i would pick the 3930K for sure...

So if you planing to overclock forget 3770k. Its hot as hell, you need all kind of methods to slow down the insane temps, delid, lap the heat spreader, etc... For sure haswell will be great OC'er.. Bring extremely high posibilities of OC. But still no way to know how that chips will handle the heat.. If you have the chance to get a cheap 3930K do not doubt, just go with it and sell your actual mobo and 3570k. Why?. First, if you wait the arrive of haswell, that will be a instant kill of the prices of your mobo and chip.. So you will receive less money than the price you could receive now (every $ count right? :) ).. Second you said you have to buy a new mobo for 3930K thats apply too for 4770K and the Socket 1150... Third, 4770k even high oc'd will be hard to beat the 3930K more even if are high OC'd.. For sure the 3930K have a larger future in gaming and other taks..

It seems that hopes for a good heat handling from haswell is gone according to this.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1391596/proof-that-intel-most-likely-using-tim-again-with-haswell-ihs
On the other hand if you are waiting for haswell and if you are not in a rush, there is supposed to be an ivy bridge e release around september that will replace the current x79 cpus. With a bit of luck intel will actually solder the ihs of those cpu since they are for enthusiast user.

Your basically in the same boat as me. I chose to get the 3930k and wait until haswell-e comes out and do a full upgrade. IMO we should be seeing ivy bridge e by the end of this year, so haswell e would be at least another year or year and half away. Ivy bridge e will max out the socket, and haswell e will have a new socket so by the time that comes I will be ready to upgrade.

If you can get your hands on a 2600k or 2700k for cheap, it might be your best bet. They stay cooler then Ivy Bridge. Now you wont get PCI-E 3.0 with a new Z77 mobo, but they can still be a VERY good chip, specially if the price is right.

Picked up a 2700k here in the forums for $230. Cant beat that price IMO.

If you can get your hands on a 2600k or 2700k for cheap, it might be your best bet. They stay cooler then Ivy Bridge. Now you wont get PCI-E 3.0 with a new Z77 mobo, but they can still be a VERY good chip, specially if the price is right.

Picked up a 2700k here in the forums for $230. Cant beat that price IMO.

He's cashing in on retail edge, so either the 3770k or 3930k for 200 or less it is!

If retail edge cheap, 3930k no question about it. If you're looking for a used x79 board, those can be had for under $200.

With the money you save from retailedge with a 3930k, you can get a half-decent mobo and still come out ahead cost-wise compared to a 3770k and mobo.

Well better not to take the 4770k unless you need the integrated video. I already got one on hand and it performs exactly like the 3770k. However there's more fun with it coz you can adjust the BCLK. 3930K might be the best choice if you really need the power from six cores. The X79s are getting much cheaper nowadays. I just got a refub X79-UD5 for $130.

Well better not to take the 4770k unless you need the integrated video. I already got one on hand and it performs exactly like the 3770k. However there's more fun with it coz you can adjust the BCLK. 3930K might be the best choice if you really need the power from six cores. The X79s are getting much cheaper nowadays. I just got a refub X79-UD5 for $130.

What are talking about? How you picked a 4770K if even intel has not said the date of release?.....

You guys guessed it, it's going to be from the intel retail edge program.

So out of the 3 cpus mentioned the 3930k is the best at overclocking? I would really like to get to 5.0ghz again, I used to have a 2500k.

You're going to need a good amount of luck and some serious cooling to get 5 ghz out of a 3930k...

2nd that^. Same goes for Ivy. 4.4ghz - 4.6ghz @ 1.24-1.28v with a good air cooler and it stays nice and cool, depending on your setup and case airflow.

I would either wait for Haswell or get the 3930k. Find the best voltage to clock ratio, be happy, and call it a day. These chips are beasts and extreme overclocks aren't as important as they were years ago. The extra 10% gained from 5ghz overclocks really only matters if you are maxing out the cores 24/7 daily/weekly/etc for whatever projects it is that one might be doing.

I disagree new batches of 3770K are very good OC'rs and also not so hight temps...but the part of delind it just take 10 mins applying LIQUID PRO and you drop 30C

i have my chip NOT delided NEW BATCH at 5GHz HT stable 1,488 and temps PRIME is 90C

So I can get either a 3930k or a 3770k really cheap, however if I go with the 3930k I have to upgrade my mobo to x79 (currently have a Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z). Another option would be to go with haswell and sell my board and 3570k when it comes out and upgrade to a 4770k.

I'd like to achieve some good overclocks, will be used mostly for gaming and overclock. Light photoshop and video editing.

if you gonna play hard with video edition you better go with hexacores and yes you will have to pick an X79

if you gonna game just grab a 3770K and u will be more than fine

I disagree new batches of 3770K are very good OC'rs and also not so hight temps...but the part of delind it just take 10 mins applying LIQUID PRO and you drop 30C

i have my chip NOT delided NEW BATCH at 5GHz HT stable 1,488 and temps PRIME is 90C

and you think 90C its a safe temp for 24/7?? how much hour of P95 you test? what version of p95 ?...

that chip its far to be a cool chip.. a 2600k can make 5ghz 1.48v max core 80C with just a Noctua NH-D14.. and yours 90C in a full water?.. no its not a nice chip to reach 5GHZ 24/7.

Id love to upgrade but im sitting out Haswell, my 2600K had been sitting at 4800Mhz since day 1 on air and more then likely it will just be a sidegrade. Whats after Haswell?

and you think 90C its a safe temp for 24/7?? how much hour of P95 you test? what version of p95 ?...

that chip its far to be a cool chip.. a 2600k can make 5ghz 1.48v max core 80C with just a Noctua NH-D14.. and yours 90C in a full water?.. no its not a nice chip to reach 5GHZ 24/7.

You got XRAY vision ?

This chip boots at 2933mhz mem and i can bench 3D and its NOT delided if i do so i get 60C load ;)

and 90C hits prime wich a game will NEVER EVER touch, btw i use vcore offset ;)

btw im from xtremesystems forums we drink fesser, like noise of heavy power fans and deal with heat :D

Last edited:
You got XRAY vision ?

This chip boots at 2933mhz mem and i can bench 3D and its NOT delided if i do so i get 60C load ;)

and 90C hits prime wich a game will NEVER EVER touch, btw i use vcore offset ;)

btw im from xtremesystems forums we drink fesser, like noise of heavy power fans and deal with heat :D

I have barely started playing with oc's on my ivy. would love to see your bios settings listed for 5ghz. :)

I have barely started playing with oc's on my ivy. would love to see your bios settings listed for 5ghz. :)

of course bud ;)

here it goes

50x100

VCORE OFFSET +0.245 (this gives a LOAD of 1,496 and goes down when not in use to 1,12ish)

LLC EXTREME

VCCSA 1,20 (requiered to push the RAM)

VCCIO 1,15

PLL 1,7

VDIMM 1,675 (2666 CL10-12-12-31 1T LATENCY BOUNDARY 6)

ALL C states and EIST enabled

ALL unnecesary things turned OFF like wi fi, thunderbolt, iGPU, bluetooth, etc

keep in mind im using 3x SLI of 680 SOC at 1306 core +700mem that pushes my system even more so ur volts can be lower ;)

Cheers enjoy !!!
Sergio

IF your chip goes on stupid temps well u can just grab Phoyba Liquid Pro wich is better than Colaboratory Liquid Ultra and delid the chip apply it and you got 30 to 36C less !!!

of course bud ;)

here it goes

50x100

VCORE OFFSET +0.245 (this gives a LOAD of 1,496 and goes down when not in use to 1,12ish)

LLC EXTREME

VCCSA 1,20 (requiered to push the RAM)

VCCIO 1,15

PLL 1,7

VDIMM 1,675 (2666 CL10-12-12-31 1T LATENCY BOUNDARY 6)

ALL C states and EIST enabled

ALL unnecesary things turned OFF like wi fi, thunderbolt, iGPU, bluetooth, etc

keep in mind im using 3x SLI of 680 SOC at 1306 core +700mem that pushes my system even more so ur volts can be lower ;)

Cheers enjoy !!!
Sergio

IF your chip goes on stupid temps well u can just grab Phoyba Liquid Pro wich is better than Colaboratory Liquid Ultra and delid the chip apply it and you got 30 to 36C less !!!

I feel like maybe finding a 3770k chip that can push 5ghz with low volts should be my route and get a gtx 780.

There's no point in going for 5 ghz... most 3930k chips can hit 4.7-4.8 ghz, and that's more than enough for 99% of your usage scenarios.

Depends on how much you wanna spend extra on switching to the 3930K system and how important each of those uses are to you. Either will game fine and if it's just very light editing I'm sure it'll be fine too but if you want the highest performance and don't mind spending a couple hundred extra then go for the 3930K.

Depends on how much you wanna spend extra on switching to the 3930K system and how important each of those uses are to you. Either will game fine and if it's just very light editing I'm sure it'll be fine too but if you want the highest performance and don't mind spending a couple hundred extra then go for the 3930K.

With Retail Edge, he would be spending a couple hundred extra to go with the 4770k over the 3930k.

Been running my 2600K @ 5.0 GHZ @ 1.45v for the past 2 years... LoL

Still runs like a champ.

Its going up for sale soon though... going to put a disclaimer when I sell it and tell ppl that it has been very abused.

im also very interested in the performance of the 4770k. If you guys are able to procure a copy of it, is the heatspreader soldered on or TIM based like ivy bridge?

im also very interested in the performance of the 4770k. If you guys are able to procure a copy of it, is the heatspreader soldered on or TIM based like ivy bridge?

We hope at least if the chip its soldered, can handle very well the heat issue.. if will be like another ivy, at least if not soldered that allow people to delid it.. solded or no.. we have good expectations over the thermal control on haswell

We hope at least if the chip its soldered, can handle very well the heat issue.. if will be like another ivy, at least if not soldered that allow people to delid it.. solded or no.. we have good expectations over the thermal control on haswell

heat is sick on haswell too bro too bad...

Im going 3930k, made the jump to X79 on the cheap with the 3820 and now just waiting on shipment of that hexacore beauty...Hoping for 4.8 under my H100i

Back