3930k Overclocking Help

hammerforged

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys Im in a pretty tight spot here.

I just installed my 3930K in a Rampage IV Formula motherboard last week and Im having a terrible time getting it stable.

Full water cooling loop never gets over 72C, Mosfet waterblock, running 1866 Dominator Platnium Ram, Seasonic 1k Platnium PSU, Neutron GTX SSD, a 1TB disk drive.

So far Ive been running prime95 and cant make it past a 4 hours. Seems to crash right around 3-4 hours no matter what. Ive tried all kinds of settings. Lowered the ram to 1600mhz, disabled C6 and C7 states, turned Intel adaptive thermal monitor off, pretty much everything.

The BSOD code is 0x00001e (not sure if thats the right ammount of zeros ha).

Ive tried running at 4.6ghz and 1.48v and it still crashes. I can pass 15 runs of Intel burn test just fine but prime95 after a 3-4 is a no go.

Right now Im running at 4.4ghz and 1.44v at 1333 ram while Im at work. I will check it out at lunch. But if this doesnt work does anyone have any ideas? This is stressing me out and I could really use the help. Thanks so much.

running a CPU with 6 physical cores and with 12 threads at that speed to me is stupid, sorry to say it.

you should not OC that awesome CPU more than 4ghz, maybe 4.2ghz tops.

trust me, drop it down, they use alot of power and they wont last for long time if you abuse them that much.

running a CPU with 6 physical cores and with 12 threads at that speed to me is stupid, sorry to say it.

you should not oc that CPU more than 4ghz, maybe 4.2ghz tops.

Please explain how this is stupid?

There are a countless number of people that do it.

Honestly, when I got my setup, I just found a few guides on the intarwebz and played with stuff until I got good results. Then I backed down .1ghz and left it.

Honestly, when I got my setup, I just found a few guides on the intarwebz and played with stuff until I got good results. Then I backed down .1ghz and left it.

Gotcha. Its just odd to me and I cant figure it out becuase it BSODs around the same time everytime no matter what the overclock settings.

The mem was good in my 3770k setup. I have a waterblock on my vrms but theres no way for me to tell if its mounted correctly because I can monitor the vrm temps ugh. That may very well be the cause though becuase I feel like Ive damn near tried everything else.

Any Ideas on monitoring VRM temps? Raja with Asus here on the forum said I couldnt :(

you should not OC that awesome CPU more than 4ghz, maybe 4.2ghz tops.

trust me, drop it down, they use alot of power and they wont last for long time if you abuse them that much.
A 3930K should be able to hit 4.4GHz on air with 32GB of DDR2-1600 RAM (8x4GB) no problem. This CPU is a good and durable overclocker; many have reported hitting 5GHz on air with a breeze.

Okay well it crashed at 4.4 and 1.4

Heres the error info:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1e
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\103112-15163-01.dmp
C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-4585462-0.sysdata.xml

Pretty sure its not that bad of a CPU. Gotta be something else.... No idea what. Vrm temps?

The mem was good in my 3770k setup. I have a waterblock on my vrms but theres no way for me to tell if its mounted correctly because I can monitor the vrm temps ugh. That may very well be the cause though becuase I feel like Ive damn near tried everything else.

Any Ideas on monitoring VRM temps? Raja with Asus here on the forum said I couldnt :(

You might still try just 1 stick on a few prime95 runs to make sure each stick is good. You never know!

I've got the 3930K on a Sabertooth x79, and hit 4.4ghz using a voltage offset of +0.05 and the H100 cooler. The net voltage is ~1.38V under prime95 load. I did nothing but adjust the Voffset and set the same max multiplier to x44 for all cores. Mine boots Windows at 4.5 with these settings but is slightly unstable.

I have 4x8GB = 32GB of DDR3-1600 memory. I didn't adjust the base clock or any of that, so the memory is operating at spec.

If yours doesn't work with similar settings, you got a bum CPU. Shit happens :p

I had a similar issue, I booted and ran @ 4.7 with no issues until I updated the BIOS. It took a little digging but I found out it was the VTTcpu and VCCSA viltages. I only have 4x4gb of 1866 memory but you need to go beyond the auto settings to run at higher memory speeds/densities. Asus's auto setting seems to be geared for 4 sticks @1600mhz.

I now run @ 4.6ghz at 1.38v and can do protein folding for days with no issues.

I had a similar issue, I booted and ran @ 4.7 with no issues until I updated the BIOS. It took a little digging but I found out it was the VTTcpu and VCCSA viltages. I only have 4x4gb of 1866 memory but you need to go beyond the auto settings to run at higher memory speeds/densities. Asus's auto setting seems to be geared for 4 sticks @1600mhz.

I now run @ 4.6ghz at 1.38v and can do protein folding for days with no issues.

What did you increase those to?

Well I saw some guides that say Vttcpu should be like 90% of vcore or something but I wasnt comfortable with it so high when it defaults to like .88v.

My Vttcpu is 1.262V and Vccsa is at 1.0V.

Just wondering, are you on Windows 8?

No. Win 7 Pro.

I ran everything at stock last night and it still crashed 3-4 hours in. This was on a clean OS instal with all the drivers verified. Trying decide if I have a bad motherboard because I have no idea what else it could be.

I would try Vtt and Vccsa, they are much more important to SB-E than SB/IB. Your Vcore is very high for that OC. I ran very similar settings as Kranium with 1.200 Vtt and 1.100 Vccsa and was able to drop my Vcore down to 1.315 at 4.4ghz on my 3930k on air, folding stable 24/7 at ~70*C. It may be you just have a poor overclocker, have you tried 4.2ghz?

I would try Vtt and Vccsa, they are much more important to SB-E than SB/IB. Your Vcore is very high for that OC. I ran very similar settings as Kranium with 1.200 Vtt and 1.100 Vccsa and was able to drop my Vcore down to 1.315 at 4.4ghz on my 3930k on air, folding stable 24/7 at ~70*C. It may be you just have a poor overclocker, have you tried 4.2ghz?

Ha yeah I've tried VTT and Vccsa both at 1.2 and 1.15 and no such luck. I tried 4.2 at 1.38 even and still no luck. I really dont think its a bad chip. Ive been able to pass 15+ runs of Intel burn test at 4.8 and 1.4v this is why Im leading to a board issue. I hate to RMA but it may be something I have to do :(

Do you have a B&M store near you? Maybe picking up a cheap MSI or something board and checking it out may confirm that your board is actually the issue. Maybe up/downgrade the BIOS?

Do you have a B&M store near you? Maybe picking up a cheap MSI or something board and checking it out may confirm that your board is actually the issue. Maybe up/downgrade the BIOS?

Thanks for your response. Nah I sure dont. The closest thing is a micro center about two hours away :(

Ive tried two different BIOS version the most recent and then a random older one.

Thanks for your response. Nah I sure dont. The closest thing is a micro center about two hours away :(

Ive tried two different BIOS version the most recent and then a random older one.

Ah that sucks. I can't really think of much else to try, RMA is no fun at all.

Ah that sucks. I can't really think of much else to try, RMA is no fun at all.

Yeah I mean I bought it the 21st of October so its still within Newegg limits. Ill probably just go ahead and do that. Ive done everything possible and feel like I gave it a good shot.

I appreciate your help :)

Well I just filed an RMA with Newegg earlier and I just now saw this:

Rampage IV Formula BIOS 3101
Improve system stability.

10/31

I guess I'll give that a shot and send the new board back if it works.

Back