3930K or 3770K rig?

senakun

Limp Gawd
i got a discount from intel's retailedge program on a 3930K for like $190. great, but i just built a 3770 rig.

should i disband the 3770K rig? the mobo (P8Z77-V DELUXE, great board) i can sell to a friend who wants to build a rig of his own. got a $50 discount on it anyway at microcenter for buying the 3770K.

right now i use the 3770K rig mostly for gaming and video encoding, but i haven't been doing that lately. i have a 2600K rig and a Q9300 rig for the other stuff i do.

i would need to get an X79 board.. surprisingly, there are a lot of open box ones at microcenter. not sure why.

also what is the heat output of these 3930K's like compared to the 2600K and 3770K? at stock and overclocked? i probably need to do some digging into more reviews. most likely i will be looking to overclock it using an H80, H100 or NH-D14 (if it can even fit). haven't decided yet. but i think there's more than enough power in these processors at stock for most cases.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Last edited:
How did you manage to get the $50 mobo discount with the 3770k?

if you buy a 3570K, 2700K, or 2500K with a qualifying motherboard at microcenter, you will get $50 off the motherboard.

it's depicted as the white "Extra $50 OFF" labels in the list of motherboards. I wanted to get the P8Z77 Pro, but it wasn't on there.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/0c732362#/0c732362/27

strangely, it doesn't say 3770K at all on the flyer, but the register still gave me the $50 off.

If youve already got the 3770K rig up and running and its working good for you, might as well keep it unless youre just wanting to scratch the "build something new" itch. If thats the case, sell that IB and build you a badass SB-E rig and overclock its nads off. Nothing better than 6 Sandy cores running in the high 4's. :D

Hmm weird...I'm heading to MC today. Hopefully the register works in my favor too :)

I had an acquaintance that was willing to help me with the intel deal until he found out they required pay stub verification (worried about losing his job lol).

Anyways, if you can sell off your 3770k and mobo without losing much, I'd go for the 3930k. $190 is just way too good to pass up.

he can also use his work email account to verify. well, maybe he doesn't have one, i guess. the only time that a paystub was required was when i won a prize. also, paystub verification can be used at any time. email verification i believe u can only do every 85 days. i stopped working retail a few weeks ago, so i'm gonna miss the retailedge.

yeah, i can get the money back easily. my friends who don't live near microcenter are especially interested.

my only worries are the heat and cooling aspects. the room i have everything in can get pretty warm.

I bought my board open box from MC and it works great.
To be honest it didn't even look like it was opened.
The sales person was very nice and offered to look through the boxes to make sure he picked one that was complete.
The 3930k is a beast. I think it is overkill for the vast majority of people though.

You can always buy the 3930K and sell it for a profit, you'll get more for an unopened 3930K than a used 3770K (relative to the original MSRP).

If you're not going to be using the 3930K rig then it's kind of a waste just letting it sit there...

you're right, but the more i read about it, the more i don't wanna get rid of it :p i'll just take my time and check the reviews again. what i'm most concerned about is the heat that will come out of this thing. i also need to figure out what kinda cooling and such i need. i'd use an h100 but my define r3 case i just bought won't fit it unless i remove all the hard drive bays. kinda need those. i had the arc midi which does fit, but i don't seem to like it as much.

also, does anyone know why the thermalright silver arrow cooler is not mentioned as much as the noctua nh-d14?

thanks

Back