390x or 980 gtx?

what card do you think is best?

• r9 390x

Votes: 56 77.8%
  • gtx 980 (non-ti)

Votes: 17 23.6%

• Total voters
The 980 is a poor investment. The 980Ti is the only good card in Nvidias line up as far as performance class. The 950/60 is in the line of non performance cards but can be good enough if low on cash.
After the 980Ti all other teirs the AMD counterparts are far and away better choices.

My honest answer: it depends. Considering prices are equal... I'd say if you're playing at 1080p, the GTX 980 is the one to go with. If you are playing at 1440p or higher, and are intending to play the newest games, OR are intending to go multi-GPU and 4k, go 390x.

390x for more VRAM. As more current games are tested the 390x is pulling ahead of the 980.

390X. I personally think 980 was never, and still isn't, a good value proposition under any circumstances. 970 performs similarly for a significantly lower price tag, 980ti has more VRAM per $ than 980 who is otherwise similar in perf per $.

390X has more VRAM compared to 980's similar price, so even if it can't use all that VRAM, it's still something that is better have it and not use it than need it but don't have it kind.

Also, with AMD's FreeSync, more monitor options are available should you become interested in the said tech, as well as monitor being cheaper. G-Sync monitors generally cost more for the same kind of panel is relatively slow in new monitor introduction.

980 is priced too high for what you get, 390X is my vote.

390X is a better price per performance card. The 980 is a waste of money and should have never been invented.

Jesus Christ why is a 980 $500!?

Should really be comparing the 970 (-18% from the 980) to 390x... which 390x is still the winner.

980 is in Fury territory. Might as well get the 980ti or Fury X if you're in that price range.

If you spend 500-400usd is better to get a r9 nano

That's what I did. R9 Nano for $430 shipped. Matches or beats the 980 in most games, although there is less overclocking room. DX12 performance on that little bugger is impressive too. 4GB hasn't limited frame rates so far, but I know some games gobble that up in a hurry.

If you spend 500-400usd is better to get a r9 nano
Apart from the poor stock cooler and needing a high fan speed to compensate for the temperatures sadly. If you can keep the temps in check it is a powerful card, but it all depends on if you can handle the turbine engine sound. If Asus wasn't so lame about video card warranties I would of kept mine as the waterblock would of solved all the issues relating to it.

Not sure if Gigabyte has their r9 Fury on sale for $470 on Amazon. If it is I would consider that. Otherwise the 390x is probably a better choice in the current time.

390x for more VRAM. As more current games are tested the 390x is pulling ahead of the 980.

Depends on the game. Further....depending on what you're wanting the 980 will run a hell of a lot cooler.

980 is priced too high for what you get, 390X is my vote.

Depends on what you pay for it. I got my 980 this winter for $350 shipped. Now if you're paying normal sticker price, that is a different matter.

390X or even a better deal on 390 non-x, the difference between them is really only 5-10%, but the prices can be anywhere between $100

Apart from the poor stock cooler and needing a high fan speed to compensate for the temperatures sadly. If you can keep the temps in check it is a powerful card, but it all depends on if you can handle the turbine engine sound. If Asus wasn't so lame about video card warranties I would of kept mine as the waterblock would of solved all the issues relating to it.

Not sure if Gigabyte has their r9 Fury on sale for $470 on Amazon. If it is I would consider that. Otherwise the 390x is probably a better choice in the current time.
well the R9 nano is 430usd At newegg today and it is tehcnically the same as a R9 Fury X and if he can watercool it is a lot better performance/usd

well the R9 nano is 430usd At newegg today and it is tehcnically the same as a R9 Fury X and if he can watercool it is a lot better performance/usd

I would have been all over a Nano at that price but it doesn't have a DVI port, and the Qnix I have doesn't work with adapters, no matter what type it is (active/passive).

The 980 was and still is shit value. Furthermore it lost all relevance after 980 Ti and 390X launched, so absolutely no point in even considering the 980, unless you can get a used card for $350 or less.

Apart from the poor stock cooler and needing a high fan speed to compensate for the temperatures sadly. If you can keep the temps in check it is a powerful card, but it all depends on if you can handle the turbine engine sound.
I have a pair of PowerColor Nanos and at stock they are nicely quiet. The fan only becomes clearly audible with the power limit pushed up, and even then they're still quieter then the Gigabyte Windforce 290s they replaced.

I have a pair of PowerColor Nanos and at stock they are nicely quiet. The fan only becomes clearly audible with the power limit pushed up, and even then they're still quieter then the Gigabyte Windforce 290s they replaced.
I wish I had better luck with my Asus Nano. Given my small case, and it's position inside it (underneath a watercooled card), it was probably starving for air even though I have 4 Gentle Typhoons as intakes. Even with the stock power limit it wouldn't be long before it hit 80+ C and downclocked itself to ~ 700 MHz.

Devil dual 390 is best bang for your buck on new card market, hands down.

390x no other card is close. Or a used 980 GTX if you can find out.

Otherwise wait out for the new cards.

I wish I had better luck with my Asus Nano. Given my small case, and it's position inside it (underneath a watercooled card), it was probably starving for air even though I have 4 Gentle Typhoons as intakes. Even with the stock power limit it wouldn't be long before it hit 80+ C and downclocked itself to ~ 700 MHz.

I built a custom case for the Nano so it gets cold air directly into the fan. Anyways very quiet and never gets to 80c - now 85c is the setpoint in the drivers. In my case, 100% gpu load for 30 min fan speed is around 67%, temperature is less than 75c with gpu speed between 980-995mhz with Powertune of +35.

Rage3D Discussion Area - View Single Post - Radeon R9 Nano thread

The Nano is also an excellent option which will fit way more cases then either the 980 or 390x and will beat both of them. Talking about one great card - now the secret with the Nano is air flow to the Nano fan (as cold as possible), you do that and 1050mhz and beyond is opened up.

I built a custom case for the Nano so it gets cold air directly into the fan. Anyways very quiet and never gets to 80c - now 85c is the setpoint in the drivers. In my case, 100% gpu load for 30 min fan speed is around 67%, temperature is less than 75c with gpu speed between 980-995mhz with Powertune of +35.

The Nano is also an excellent option which will fit way more cases then either the 980 or 390x and will beat both of them. Talking about one great card - now the secret with the Nano is air flow to the Nano fan (as cold as possible), you do that and 1050mhz and beyond is opened up.

If I could put a water block on that card I wouldn't have anything to complain about. The thing would of been a Fury X essentially with a better cooling solution albeit without the 2nd 8 pin. Even without it though the little bugger wise quite impressive. I just wish Asus didn't have their dumb void warranty sticker on the screws. Maybe I've just been spoiled with EVGA not caring about water blocks, so long as you didn't mangle the card.

The only reason to go for a 980 is if you find solid deal on a used one. Otherwise, the 390x seems like the better investment right now.

Nano gets my vote, it is more powerful then either of those cards except not listed as the two choices. Price is not much more over a 390x, better performance, less heat, probably less noise, less space needed giving more breathing room in the case. Just some thoughts.

Back