390X coming soon few weeks

based on the oxidization patterns on the thermal paste, id say that cold plate had been on there a while...

or it was really dirtry

lol

Going to be some creative thermal paste application techniques to deal with this now. Pea on the center, and smaller dabs on each vram?

No one is posting the die shot? Too busy spamming incoherent BS in the thread rather than trying to have an intelligent discussion.

11292776_715509701905836_384015936_n.jpg

Quick and sloppy, I'm getting 23x25.5 = ~586mm2.
Which seems like the 576mm2 I heard from a few weeks ago was pretty accurate.

I used AMD's 5x7mm for a HBM stack.
Hynix has 5.48x7.29mm in their HBM slides.

Oh What a Day! What a Lovely Day! :D

Relooking at the HBM slides the 5.48x7.29mm is for the base die, not the exposed die ontop.
I think my number is closer, especially since reticle limit is somewhere just north of 600mm2.

What does all this mean exactly? So compared to Hawaii its much larger, meaning lots more transistors which equals super powerful? Im starting to get a good feeling titan x, sorry meant 980ti will get beat at a slightly lower price?

Well now that the 980Ti has launched, there is zero reason why AMD shouldn't release info about this new card, whatever it will be called.

Well now that the 980Ti has launched, there is zero reason why AMD shouldn't release info about this new card, whatever it will be called.

Well they almost have to wait for the big event to start Tomorrow so the news kinda explodes everywhere like usual creating a massive frenzy that creates sells outs everywhere day 1....something about the waiting creates more hype;)

What does all this mean exactly? So compared to Hawaii its much larger, meaning lots more transistors which equals super powerful? Im starting to get a good feeling titan x, sorry meant 980ti will get beat at a slightly lower price?

Yes, basically.
If my die size number is accurate, ~586mm2, or ~34% increase over Hawaii.
While Hawaii's 438mm2 vs Tahiti's 365mm2 is only a 20% increase, though they did go super dense with Hawaii 20% increase in density vs Tahiti.
Add in the die space savings of HBM and possibly some other areas, we could be looking at ~40% larger die size than Hawaii when talking about actual units.

Hawaii was able to double the ROPs, strengthen the front-end and get a 37.5% increase in CUs by increasing the die 20% over Tahiti.

On the flip-side I think we won't be seeing AMD going for increased transistor density after seeing what Nvidia has done with GM204 and GM200.
Hawaii - 14.155million/mm2
GM200 - 13.311million/mm2
GM204 - 13.065million/mm2

Going on a ±10% of Hawaii density would be 8.2-8.4b transistors in ~586mm2.
I'm thinking they will drop to 13.5-13.8million/mm2 and see 7.9-8.1b in ~586mm2.

Last edited:
This is fun.
I hope there's lots of pretty slides with tons of marketing buzzwords.
Ti looks hot. AMD is looking hot. I've never been so ready to spend ~$700. Who's it gonna be? So exciting.

This is fun.
I hope there's lots of pretty slides with tons of marketing buzzwords.
Ti looks hot. AMD is looking hot. I've never been so ready to spend ~$700. Who's it gonna be? So exciting.
Price tag is most important. We already have a good idea how fast Fiji is.
If AMD doesn't release info at their conference tomorrow, I will assume Fiji is a flop.

Zarathustra[H];1041636931 said:
Lol. Anger issues much? :p

How about we call it "I'm going to kill you in your fucking sleep for looking at my girlfriend" :p

I don't need my video card to be angry. I'd rather it stays happy and renders my frames for me.

Jesus guys. Grow up. Way too much lame teen angsty testosterone in here...

We can give it a flower name. The Chinese would eat it up and there's over 1 billion of them.

If AMD doesn't release info at their conference tomorrow, I will assume Fiji is a flop.

Wasn't the rumor that everything except Fiji will be revealed at Computex, and Fiji is reserved for E3? If so I wouldn't write anything off until mid-June at the very least.

Weren't they saying it would be mid June?
WCCS said:
AMD Radeon R9 300 series will be launching on the 18th of June while the Fiji XT GPU will be launching on the 24th of June 2015

Link

Last edited:
Rumor is AMD is not showing cards at Computex. They can still reveal the GPUs, I assume.
They would be stupid to announce a bunch of rebrands and not say anything about Fiji...

Yes, basically.
If my die size number is accurate, ~586mm2, or ~34% increase over Hawaii.
While Hawaii's 438mm2 vs Tahiti's 365mm2 is only a 20% increase, though they did go super dense with Hawaii 20% increase in density vs Tahiti.
Add in the die space savings of HBM and possibly some other areas, we could be looking at ~40% larger die size than Hawaii when talking about actual units.

Hawaii was able to double the ROPs, strengthen the front-end and get a 37.5% increase in CUs by increasing the die 20% over Tahiti.

On the flip-side I think we won't be seeing AMD going for increased transistor density after seeing what Nvidia has done with GM204 and GM200.
Hawaii - 14.155million/mm2
GM200 - 13.311million/mm2
GM204 - 13.065million/mm2

Going on a ±10% of Hawaii density would be 8.2-8.4b transistors in ~586mm2.
I'm thinking they will drop to 13.5-13.8million/mm2 and see 7.9-8.1b in ~586mm2.

Going by your logic alone so far this old "leak" doesn't look so far fetched. Guess well find out today some time
094646q0lldu88l1h2oqld.jpg

I wouldn't put much stock in that graph as there is very little difference real world between the GTX 980Ti and the Titan X.

Rumor is AMD is not showing cards at Computex. They can still reveal the GPUs, I assume.
They would be stupid to announce a bunch of rebrands and not say anything about Fiji...

Well WCCF claimed June 24 for Fiji launch and this is their source (also linked in article)

Thing is that's not what the source says at all. It's saying Computex will be a full paper launch, followed by retail availability of rebranded chips on June 18, and Fiji based cards won't hit the shelves until June 24.

Now that's all fine and good, EXCEPT they equate Fiji to 390 and 390X, which by this point we pretty much know to not be the case. So it appears the source is either bullsthitting, or going by outdated info.

So we're still none the wiser lol

Oh my point was even the source WCCF links to is questionable and dubious at best. As for WCCF itself, well need I say more lol

Going by your logic alone so far this old "leak" doesn't look so far fetched. Guess well find out today some time

I'm guessing the early "leaked" benchmarks are best guesses from what all of us knew and could have calculated months ago. In any case, highly doubtful they are "real" benches as they were posted in March (whenneither Fiji, 980 ti nor 960 were out yet, or even in the hands of reviewers). I am, however, pretty certain as well that that chart will be somewhat close to reality. The main remaining questions for me are:

a) what is the quantified advantage of HBM?
b) can Fiji really manage at 4k with high IQ if it only has 4GB?
c) performance difference between WCE and Air-cooled versions?
d) importantly, what is pricing especially vis a vis the $650 980 ti?
e) overclock-ability of Fiji (I'm not expecting much here: 980 ti may ultimately outperform Fiji even if stock Fiji is stronger...)

GCN 1.3 might mean a whole new class of cards.
setting a higher price and then they can add a lower class and price for midrange
so we will find a discrepancy happens between midrange and high end entusiast.
both offering great value and performance at each segments.

It will be revealed at Computex - got mail from Sapphire's PR team, previewing their stand at Computex, and there is the line that "Sapphire will inform customers about new GPU series on consumer market".

Wait so this is the schedule? No real benchmarks and nothing for sale for 2 more weeks?
It's the schedule that we're working with. It's all rumors.
Here's what we know OFFICIALLY:

1. AMD has a conference @ Computex today.
2. AMD has a new flagship with HBM.
3. The flagship (or a model of the flagship) has a small PCB.
4. Cards will launch by the end of Q2.

I think that's everything AMD has given us. Everything else is speculation.

Back