3870 way too hot

crewzen

Gawd
:eek:I have had this card for a two weeks now all of a sudden the temps jumped up to 78deg at an idle. This is with fans at 90% at 60deg and 100% at 70deg.
Stock speeds, this 3870 is inferior quality as far as I am concerned. This is the gigabyte card but they are all the same. They need to get much better coolers on these things.

Vista dream scene all of a sudden will not work etc. card is turning into scrap right before my eyes.:eek:

Now all that being said if I am missing something here that will alow this card to work ok what is it?:confused:

:eek:I have had this card for a week now all of a sudden the temps jumped up to 78deg at an idle. This is with fans at 90% at 60deg and 100% at 70deg.
Stock speeds, this 3870 is inferior quality as far as I am concerned. This is the gigabyte card but they are all the same. They need to get much better coolers on these things.

Vista dream scene all of a sudden will not work etc. card is turning into scrap right before my eyes.:eek:

Now all that being said if I am missing something here that will alow this card to work ok what is it?:confused:

The problem is with your card, mine is idle <50C @30% fan, load <65C @60% fan.

Mine idles at around 39C and full load 80C on a well ventilated case with stock fan speed.

:eek:I have had this card for a week now all of a sudden the temps jumped up to 78deg at an idle. This is with fans at 90% at 60deg and 100% at 70deg.

I agree 100% with you. I have 2 of these in crossfire and my bottom card reaches almost 90c during 3dmark06 tests:eek: Im leaning toward the T.T DuOrb coolers for each of my cards. Read many reviews for them, and they seem to be easy to install, and VERY effective.

Well since this pig was running cool for two weeks something went wrong and I will RMA it (back to newegg for a refund) but since that won't happen because newegg will not give any money back on these 3870 cards I put my x1950 PRO back into the computer.

What a waste. Time for a GT first nvidea in a long time since gforce3 Herk III:mad:

What do you guys use to adjust the fan on your 3870's? As a former 8800gtx owner, I'm used to using the nvidia control panel.

Also I wanted to add that the card is simply beautiful. I like the heatsink and the red pcb. No stickers at all on it. The card idles at 52 and gets up to 78 after an hour long UT3 session with all the eye candy turned up. When I tried to overclock it using auto tune it got up to 88 deg and at that point I got scared and cancelled the auto-tuning.

That is not a good sign. I thought these cards are cooler than their predecessors

Back