3770k or 3770 if overclocking may not be an option?

I am planning a hackintosh build and the motherboard I have been planning on, the Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI, is voltage locked. I could switch to the Asrock z77e-itx but it will be much more of a pain to get osx86 running on. So, since overclocking most likely will not happen, would I be better off getting just the 3770?

The motherboard should adjust Vcore automatically to what's needed by the CPU, even when overclocked. I'd still go "K" route, as you can easily squeeze extra 500MHz without changing Vcore...

Ok well if I do get the K model, then would it be worth switching to the Asrock for more headroom? I know I could get my build working with it (albeit with a bit more work), and I plan on getting a corsair H50 regardless so would that be the smarter choice in your opinion?

I have an overclocked non-k 3770 right now on a p8z77-ws. You can overclock it to a x41 mult on all 4 cores, with HT enabled. I run it at a 107blck with 1.26v to the CPU. Everything else is also overclocked and I'm rock solid stable.

So I get 4.38ghz on air with 32gb (4x8gb) 2000mhz 11-11-11-33 vengeance with a pair of msi 580gtx lightning xtremes clocked at 940/1880/2400. memtest 86+ 4.20 24hrs (about 6-1/2 passes), prime95 x64 90% memory stable 24hrs, and occt linpack avx 90% memory stable 8 hours (stopped it, works it harder than p95).

I use a noctua nh-d14 on mine and top temp is about 88 on 2 of the cores at full load.

Why don't you get the Z77X-UDSH? I think that's a good board for overclocking and works perfect in a Hackintosh.

Yea just remember if u get the non-k version u need to disable virtualization tech to get osx to install. I use the non-k version on my hackintosh at work. Other then that I cant figure out how to get my overclock to stick on osx either..

I have an overclocked non-k 3770 right now on a p8z77-ws. You can overclock it to a x41 mult on all 4 cores, with HT enabled. I run it at a 107blck with 1.26v to the CPU. Everything else is also overclocked and I'm rock solid stable.

So I get 4.38ghz on air with 32gb (4x8gb) 2000mhz 11-11-11-33 vengeance with a pair of msi 580gtx lightning xtremes clocked at 940/1880/2400. memtest 86+ 4.20 24hrs (about 6-1/2 passes), prime95 x64 90% memory stable 24hrs, and occt linpack avx 90% memory stable 8 hours (stopped it, works it harder than p95).

I use a noctua nh-d14 on mine and top temp is about 88 on 2 of the cores at full load.

Ok so it still is very overclockable then I take it. I will keep that in mind.

Yea just remember if u get the non-k version u need to disable virtualization tech to get osx to install. I use the non-k version on my hackintosh at work. Other then that I cant figure out how to get my overclock to stick on osx either..

So you're having trouble overclocking with OS X then? Wouldn't that be more of a bios issue? I don't know I'm honestly just wondering

Well I'll get back to you on that one. I dont have a good OSX hardware monitor to see if my bios oc is working..

Ok so it still is very overclockable then I take it. I will keep that in mind.

It is, but it's old school overclocking. Manual voltage adjustments for 5 or 6 different settings and hours of stability testing. I like it, but it's very similar to how I've been overclocking for a decade plus.

My i7 3770 runs @ 4.4GHz, RAM @ 2083~. Didn't see the need to pay extra for 100-400MHz more OC that will have no real world impact on gaming.
Plus the 3770 has more features than the K version. I can run the 3770 for years, in different configs i.e. virtual machine.

Man I'm so indecisive lol. I like the prospect of having vt-d as an option, but the odds of using that are pretty low. I have no actual experience overclocking cpus, so I think I better go with the most straightforward method in the 3770k. Thanks for all of your help. Let me know if there's anything else I should know that may change my mind.

Back