37" Westy bit the bullet and wont turn on. Repair / Replacement Ideas?

I'll admit I'm not TOO heartbroken.

Using a 2560x1440 27" display at work kind of made coming home to a 37" 1080 kind of a letdown, but it was a bummer turning it on this morning to check email and not see the glowing (W). No screen activity. Different plugs, different inputs, nothing.

That being said, those of you that have had a 37" westy, or even something similar, and have had to put them out in the pasture...what have you switched to? A 27" is nice with this resolution, but should I go bigger (back up to ~30" or so, and something 4k?)

I have a AMD HD 7950, don't do heavy gaming (or really able to afford a huge video card upgrade + monitor upgrade if needed for 4K).

Should I look to going dual monitor, or just one large badboy?I AM excited for XB1 streaming to Windows 10, so that is something I need to consider too.

Thanks for any help!

I went from a 37 westy to a laptop. Between my iPad and smart phone, I find the need to use a computer has gone down significantly. I still have my rig hooked up to a 24" 1080p monitor but haven't used it in almost a year.

Westinghouse isnt the old grey mare she used to be. Since being sold off to a Korean company several years ago their quality has taken a nose dive from my experience.

if you can find a decent deal on a 4k screen in the same size range I would recommend that route. I went from a 1080p tv to a 4k one last year and the difference was well worth the cost. Your 7950 wont allow you to play games at 4k within reason as it is 4x the resolution of 1080p, but it will work with it for general use and web browsing. you can also play @ 1080p resolutions on the 4k screen until you get around to upgrading your video card down the road.

The Seiki 39" can still be had for ~$350. It does 1080p at 120hz if you game and 4k at 30hz, which imo is fine if you're doing desk work.

If you need 60hz at 4k, then the new Samsung TVs are worth looking at, starting around $800 for the 40". Requires HDMI 2 to use, and some serious horsepower to game on.

That being said, those of you that have had a 37" westy, or even something similar, and have had to put them out in the pasture...what have you switched to? A 27" is nice with this resolution, but should I go bigger (back up to ~30" or so, and something 4k?)

Purchasing two 1440p monitors would offer you more screen real estate at the same price point, and can generally be used un-scaled.

The LG 27MB85R-B would be a great choice for someone in your position. It uses a grain-free matte coating, has very accurate color presets, low input-lag, and very fast pixel response times. It's also multi-input, so you can hook up consoles, and it can be hardware calibrated with a colorimeter. Coming from a 1440p monitor at work, you won't have any issues adjusting to the resolution, surely.

not too hard, we can walk you through it

where are you located?

Outside Pittsburgh.

I did some searching for powerboards...and at 30.00 or so, it's possibly worth it to see if that swap would do the trick,

Purchasing two 1440p monitors would offer you more screen real estate at the same price point, and can generally be used un-scaled.

The LG 27MB85R-B would be a great choice for someone in your position. It uses a grain-free matte coating, has very accurate color presets, low input-lag, and very fast pixel response times. It's also multi-input, so you can hook up consoles, and it can be hardware calibrated with a colorimeter. Coming from a 1440p monitor at work, you won't have any issues adjusting to the resolution, surely.

That thing is pretty beautious!

have an Asus here P28xxxx (cant remember). Now to justify to the wifey!

I think the phrase you were looking for is "bit the dust". Biting the bullet is something quite different. :) Anyway I'd see this as a good excuse to upgrade, reckon you'll forget all about that old screen soon enough.

If I were you I would seriously consider the new ju samsung series... I just did the same switch from a 37" westy to this. Honestly... The 48/50 in samsung is amazing so far. They have a 40 if you want small...

I cannot recommend it enough! Though I have 2 westys still alive n kick'n ; )

Those really were beasts

I would also like to add that it could also be a bad fuse on the power supply board or a bad inverter on the panel.

Came home to it today,and boom...right back on.

Now, just a minute ago in the middle of typing...OFF.\

Had to turn it back on...hmmm

I think the phrase you were looking for is "bit the dust". Biting the bullet is something quite different. :) Anyway I'd see this as a good excuse to upgrade, reckon you'll forget all about that old screen soon enough.
hah yeah, that is what I meant. DOH

Back