• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

36gb Raptor not detected

d34dly

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 3, 2003
Messages
2,342
So I got a great deal on a 36gb Raptor drive, but it won't show up in windows or even in the BIOS. It is SATA obviously, but I don't know what to do.

Am I missing some important drivers or something? I am new to SATA so I could be being a n00b about this.

It doesn't show up in the BIOS, disk management, or anywhere else.
 
Check theres not a jumper/ bios setting which you need to alter to enable SATA.
Then in Windozes you will need to load the SATA drives.
Just got a pair of 74 Gig raptors so I'm going to have to work out how to do it to.

Luck......... :D
 
Tigerbiten said:
Check theres not a jumper/ bios setting which you need to alter to enable SATA.
Then in Windozes you will need to load the SATA drives.
Just got a pair of 74 Gig raptors so I'm going to have to work out how to do it to.

Luck......... :D

I didn't see any jumper settings... and I installed the windows drivers already. Still nothing.
 
d34dly said:
So I got a great deal on a 36gb Raptor drive, but it won't show up in windows or even in the BIOS. It is SATA obviously, but I don't know what to do.

Am I missing some important drivers or something? I am new to SATA so I could be being a n00b about this.

It doesn't show up in the BIOS, disk management, or anywhere else.
It also depends on which set of SATA connectors that you've plugged your Raptor into. (This is because your P4C800 Deluxe actually has four SATA ports - two controlled by the native Intel ICH5, the other two by the Promise SATA controller.)

If you've plugged them into one of the two SATA ports that are controlled by the Promise SATA controller, you will need to install the Promise SATA drivers onto your existing PATA hard drive, then go back into the motherboard's BIOS (or move a jumper) to enable the Promise SATA controller before your Raptor is recognized.

If, on the other hand, you've plugged the Raptor into one of the two SATA ports that are controlled by the Intel ICH5, Windows should have detected the hard drive. If it does, then you can proceed with partitioning and formatting.

But your post implies that you have it plugged into an SATA port that's controlled by the Promise controller. Follow the paragraph that refers to the Promise controller driver installation and to the enabling of the Promise controller at either mobo or BIOS level.
 
I see. One set said RAID1, and RAID2. I am not running RAID so I didn't use those. I will give it a shot anyway though. Thanks.
 
Well I installed the drivers and tried both sets of SATA connections and still no go. Could it be a bad drive?
 
d34dly said:
Well I installed the drivers and tried both sets of SATA connections and still no go. Could it be a bad drive?
Did you connect the power connector to the drive? You'll need to connect either an SATA power connector or a regular 4-pin power connector to the drive. And if you use the stock bundled-with-retail-drive WD SATA connector (which covers both the SATA data and power sockets on the drive, but provides only the data connection), then you'll need to connect the 4-pin power connector.
 
E4g1e said:
Did you connect the power connector to the drive? You'll need to connect either an SATA power connector or a regular 4-pin power connector to the drive. And if you use the stock bundled-with-retail-drive WD SATA connector (which covers both the SATA data and power sockets on the drive, but provides only the data connection), then you'll need to connect the 4-pin power connector.

Edited...
 
Back
Top