360 worth on my computer monitor?

uB3rn00b3r

Limp Gawd
Hey,

I am 17 and my family does not have a hdtv yet. I was wondering if it would be worth me buying a 360 even though I will only be able to play on my samsugn 930b 19 inch lcd. I want to play it in hd or not at all. I will primarily be playing solo or on live. Is it worth it? I love the games coming out.

uB3rn00b3r said:
Hey,

I am 17 and my family does not have a hdtv yet. I was wondering if it would be worth me buying a 360 even though I will only be able to play on my samsugn 930b 19 inch lcd. I want to play it in hd or not at all. I will primarily be playing solo or on live. Is it worth it? I love the games coming out.

even though it won't look amazing, if you love the games, then buy it! I love my 360. Yea it would be more confortable to play on a couch with a 32" lcd or something like that, you will still have a lot of fun playing either way.

It is going to look as good or better than most HDTVs. The only drawback is the size. I played Oblivian through on a 19' crt. It looked awesome.

laxmiddi44 said:
even though it won't look amazing, if you love the games, then buy it! I love my 360. Yea it would be more confortable to play on a couch with a 32" lcd or something like that, you will still have a lot of fun playing either way.

QFT. I used a crt for awhile when I first got my 360 and I still thought it looked great, and had fun playing the games. Buy it based on if you like the games and will have fun playing them, not on what television you have.

It should work just fine, and I recommend that you do get an X360 as quickly as possible. One of my friends played his X360 on his old Sony 15 inch LCD monitor that only had a maximum resolution of 1024x768. However, don't think that the games won't look good on a standard TV. Things still look good at 480p or 480i.

I have my 360 hooked up to my viewsonic 19" CRT and it looks great. My only complaint would be the max refresh of 60Hz, but once you get into a game its not as noticeable.

I had my 360 hooked up to an old sony 30" trinitron television, and I thought it looked awesome.

Then, I moved to a plain old 17" dell LCD, and it looks kickass.

I don't think I'm ever going back until I get an HDTV

I'm running it on my 22" Diamond Pro CRT and it looks as nice as any computer game on this monitor. I only wish the max res was higher than 1280*1024. Frankly the VGA cable is a bit on the expensive side though.

Klintor said:
That's what the amazon marketplace is for :D 13.98 After Shipping FTW!

What exactly is the part # or name of the product for $13.98, with shipping?!

I'd love to know also. I need a VGA cable but the cheapest I see is $20 and probably another $5 for shipping.

Staples said:
I'd love to know also. I need a VGA cable but the cheapest I see is $20 and probably another $5 for shipping.
Umm, MAJOR thread revival, guys. Necromancy = bad.

The cable isn't available anymore. It was back in June (when the thread was created), but this is September.

And I said "Amazon Marketplace", the "buy it Used/New from other people" section of Amazon.

I am also using my 19 inch LCD PC monitor for my xbox360 and it looks great. It looks just as good as my 50 inch 1080i HDTV upstairs. I only use my HDTV sometimes because its constantly being used by my family. I need to buy another HDTV. Size being the only downfall, but I can live with the small size for now.

The VGA cable is easily worth the $25.

Tell me something about the VGA cable. My main monitor is a 1600x1200 LCD. Will I be able to select that resolution so it will scale it to 1600 pixels wide? If not, will whatever I have to use make use of the full width of the monitor or will I have just a postage stamp on the screen?

I switched the resolution in Windows to 1280x1024 and I guess that gives me a good idea of what it will look like. Looks fine however the aspect ratio is a little off as you see 1280x1204 is 5:4 and 12x12 is 4:3.

When the picture is scaled to 1280x1024, does it still look widescreen with black bars on top or is the picture actually 1280x1024 (in which case it probably stretches it a lot vertically).

It's just like setting 1280x1024 in a game. It's not stretching a widescreen image.

The xbox 360 will do like six different resolutions on VGA cable, but be warned. Some of the games really slow down when you choose the highest resolution. Try the tombraider demo in both 640x480 and then in 13xx x 1xxx (whatever it is) the difference is night and day. For some reason the 480p and 720p change when using compoent cable doens't seem to make a difference, but when you are running in vga mode the frame rates suffer. This has been proven to me on kameo (game) and tombraider (demo) on my xbox360...I've not tried the other games. As far as look. I think the colors are more vibrant over component - on my setup at least. I use compoenent even though I bought the VGA connector, and only use the vga connector rarely to save bulb time on the projector or when I take the xbox360 to families house. My Panasonic PTl-500u projector HDTV 720p native looks overall better on the component colorwise, but overall brighter -read perhaps washed out, on the vga connector.

640x480
800x600
848x5XX (480p)
1024x768
1280x720 (720p)
1280x1024
13xxx1xxx

Back