360 won't read disc's

digital_exhaust

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2008
Alright... my kid's 360 won't read disc's. The dashboard comes up, but all it does once a disc is in the tray is say "reading" and then after a few seconds it says to open the tray...

Happens over and over regardless of the game, and one thing I noticed is one of the disc's is scratched up really badly with a rather odd pattern, kind of swirly so to speak...

Any ideas??? I know the drive is probably dead.. right?

So, if that's the case, what do I have to do to replace it? Is that something I can do myself? If that is the problem, where do I get a drive??

Beers and tamales to anyone who can help out here.... this is a bit of a crisis, at least for a couple teenagers...

Thanks guys...

Last edited:
A good test is to try DVD or Audio disc to see if it's really failed. Often times the drives can read one type but not another.

If it's still under warranty then obviously you want MSFT to fix it. If it's not, and you open it up to fix it yourself you void your 3 year RROD warranty. I don't think it's worth it to save a few bucks and lose that good of a warranty.

It is possible to do it but I'm not going to recommend it. This may fall under the terms of use violation for [H] forum rules though because technically your 'cracking' the system, so it might not be wise to talk about the specifics here.

Back